“You'll never forget your first time! ”

Bessie's Homemade Pasties
Ranked #10 of 42 Restaurants in Saint Ignace
Cuisines: American
Description: ph (906)643-8487
Description: ph (906)643-8487
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Four days into our UP vacation, after four days of contemplating which place to stop at and try one of those famous pasties for the first time, we finally chose Bessie's! Frankly speaking, we were a little scared of most of the places offering the savory half-moon pies--mostly shacks on the side of the road offering pasties, smoked fish, beef jerky and cheese curds. Anyway, we must have driven by two dozen pastie shacks before happening upon Bessie's! It was early afternoon, the sun was high and our belly's were grumbling after a full morning of beach-combing, and we needed pasties! Bessie's was open, and we saw normal looking people coming out with smiles on their faces, so we thought, let's do this! Heading into the restaurant with nervous excitement, my husband made small talk with some of the locals. We made our way to the counter and decided to order take out, so we could enjoy our first pastie experience in the privacy of our rented cabin. A very courteous Bessie's employee showed us our pastie options, although we had already secretly decided upon the original beef with a side of gravy. About ten minutes later, two flaky pasties appeared from the back and were placed in a vintage warming oven for just a moment or so before being delicately wrapped for the short journey home. With our pasties (and some smoked trout) in hand-we thanked the kind employee and left out the door on our way to pastie tasting bliss, when my husband boldly announced our virginal experience to the diners outside, "you know this is our first time, it's kind of exciting, you have a good day"...what a site we must have been as we loaded up the car and pulled out of the parking lot...I can imagine that they just shook their heads as they saw our Ohio license plates as we drove on by....by the way, the Pasties were great, thank you Bessie's, we'll be back when we come visit the UP again!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Neat little place with super friendly front of house staff (even with the screaming kids, broken stapler, and a bunch of 5 / 6 tops walking in) From the oven that looks like the building was built around it, to the big balls of dough in the back this gem of a place had the best pasties we had during our family trip.

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

If I could move in and live at the restaurant I would the pasties are the best I have ever had. We actually took home 12 in a cooler and have been enjoying them here. A definite place to stop

Reviewed 16 August 2017

I've lived in Michigan my whole life but have never had the infamous pasty. So we stopped at Bessie's on a recent trip.

There are definitely no bells-and-whistles at this place. But it appeared clean and the service was decent.

I don't know what a pasty is really supposed to taste like, but they tasted very dry to me, even with gravy on the side. The choices are gravy or ketchup, with ketchup being the traditional way to eat them to eat them in the Upper Peninsula...or so I've been told.

I wouldn't go back. But if pasties are your thing, give it a try.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

We bought pasties here to take to family in lower Michigan. We purchased 7 pasties and put them in our cooler. The person who assisted us gave us reheating instructions. The pasties traveled and reheated well. They were delicious. We highly recommend.