“This is your proverbial no frills hole-in-the-wall kind of place.”

Bessie's Homemade Pasties
Ranked #11 of 42 Restaurants in Saint Ignace
Cuisines: American
Description: ph (906)643-8487
Description: ph (906)643-8487
Reviewed 16 August 2017

I've lived in Michigan my whole life but have never had the infamous pasty. So we stopped at Bessie's on a recent trip.

There are definitely no bells-and-whistles at this place. But it appeared clean and the service was decent.

I don't know what a pasty is really supposed to taste like, but they tasted very dry to me, even with gravy on the side. The choices are gravy or ketchup, with ketchup being the traditional way to eat them to eat them in the Upper Peninsula...or so I've been told.

I wouldn't go back. But if pasties are your thing, give it a try.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

We bought pasties here to take to family in lower Michigan. We purchased 7 pasties and put them in our cooler. The person who assisted us gave us reheating instructions. The pasties traveled and reheated well. They were delicious. We highly recommend.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Amazing staff, amazing location, amazing food! I had this spot saved onto a Pinterest board and was so happy to see it across from our hotel during our wedding weekend. We'll be stopping here yearly.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

This has been the only place that we have found that a vegetarian pasty. Some do have a vegetable pasty but when you ask if they use lard in the dough the answer is yes. We didn't eat here but stopped to pick up 6 frozen vegetarian pasties to take home. They didn't have any frozen but they did have cold ones so we purchased those to freeze ourselves. The only down side was they where stacked in a bag on top of each other. When I got home and went to freeze them only the top one wasn't smashed and broken open. If you are planning on taking some home with you only get them if they are frozen so you don't end up with them smashed like we did.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

My sister and I have been through the Upper Peninsula before and were familiar with pasties, so we wanted to have them for lunch while in the area. Bessie's are very good. They have indoor and outdoor seating. We chose indoor because it was quite humid the day we were there. We both had the "original" pastie with gravy and coleslaw. They were served fresh-out-of-the-oven with a little pitcher of gravy on the side. Our server was very attentive and the food was very good. I would definitely go back to this shop if ever in the area again.