All reviews the concierge lounge detroit metro airport king bed front desk staff comfortable room bob evans bar restaurant up to date one night stay free parking an early morning flight shuttle service lobby properties freeway coupon airline
Reviewed 28 August 2017

This is your average airport hotel, which by that I mean it isn't always representative of the hotel brand.

Positives:
1. I was warmly greeted upon arrival by staff, thanked for my loyalty to Marriott and was offered a complimentary water or soda pop. That was a nice gesture as it isn't brand standard.
2. Good airport transportation.
3. Quiet property.
4. Decent food. I liked the Cesar salad, which had high-quality shaved Parmesan cheese.
5. Good fitness room with good equipment.
6. Fast internet with wireless connections everywhere.

Negatives:
1. It's been about two years since the hotel was renovated. The rooms are OK, but there are some signs of age. The caulking around the bathroom vanity was peeling and in need of replacement.
2. One of the lightbulbs on the nightstand was broken and in need of replacement.
3. The LG TV is old. Most Marriott hotels have a new Samsung TV that's connected to the internet with Netflix. Only the local TV channels worked. None of the satellite channels were working.
4. The bedding was mismatched. Sheets and duvet were a different color from the pillowcases.
5. My request for extra towels and extra pillows was not fulfilled.
6. It took 3 hours for the hotel to deliver extra toiletries.
7. The evening food offerings in the concierge lounge were very limited and very unhealthy. I'd rather eat a salad than have fried chicken wings and processed cheese cubes.
8. The evening concierge lounge hid away in the room and never came out to greet guests.
9. The doors to/from the pool to/from the garden courtyard (which is nice on warm weather days) wouldn't open and close.

All things considered: I get that this is an airport hotel with high turnover, but a little investment in the rooms (new TVs, new fixtures, re-caulking) would go a long ways. Also, some better, higher quality food offerings in the concierge lounge instead the absolute minimum and cheapest quality offerings would go a long ways.

Room Tip: 4th floor away from the highway and elevators
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 29 August 2017

While we certainly appreciate your feedback, we are embarrassed by the experience you've reported. Please accept my apology for TV service and dated decor. We will be addressing both of these items very soon. We have already started work on our brand new fitness center.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

Before I start, let me preface that I have slept in a tent in Havasupi canyon during a heat wave, so I can adapt to almost any hotel experience. I am also a Marriott Reward card holder and because you get one night free a year for a Category 5 or under, I used it to stay here.

The hotel lobby is very nice and the staff works hard to make up for any unpleasantries. Our first unpleasantry was during check-in when they said they only had King rooms. I booked on the website so I knew I had requested 2 doubles. There were 3 of us, so one king bed was not going to work out very well. The staff then put us in a King Suite type room that had a fold out single couch. We were okay with this, but the couch had no linens. I talked with the desk and they said they would contact housekeeping and send some up. An hour later still no linen so I called downstairs and found out housekeeping was gone for the night. The desk staff said they would try to find us some linens themselves. When this did not work out, they gave us another empty room within 3 or 4 doors of each other. This was fine. I also noticed that when I stepped near the air conditioning unit, the carpet was soaked. I told the desk staff about this and they said it was due to the condensation. I thought it was a bit much for condensation, but since they were going to move us into another room in the morning, I blew it off. The next morning they did move us up to the concierge floor which was nice because they have a free breakfast. They don't serve on the weekends, but M-F. We were booked through Monday so we got to make use of it.

Overall we were kind of just "meh" about the hotel, but it was close to the airport and close to where we were meeting up with our group to go to U.P. Upon our return, we once again spent another 2 days in the hotel and again they gave us the concierge level. There is construction going on around the hotel so I assume it is being refurbished. The carpets and room could use a spruce up. The staff tries hard to take care of any issues even if it means coming up to your room themselves and making things right.

If you are adaptable to situations, then you will be fine here.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 28 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to complete TripAdvisor Survey in regards to your recent stay at the Detroit Metro Airport Marriott.

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for your poor guest experience. You should not have had to switch rooms several times due to issues. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure that this was an isolated issue that is corrected moving forward.

Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Romulus.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

The staff was very friendly, and the lounge was very nice, it felt like something was missing. The bartender was great, drinks were good, floor staff was a little slow. The bar food was good but seemed a bit pricey even for a Marriot. Room was clean but nothing special. Staff was overall friendly though

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 21 August 2017

While we certainly appreciate your feedback, our goal is to "Wow" our guests. Please accept my apology for the issue which you've described with slow service. We will be addressing these items right away.
Your loyalty is very important to us and we'll do everything possible to earn another opportunity to impress you. – Jamison

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Located right at the airport, with round the clock shuttle service. Recently renovated. Very nice & lively lobby bar & restaurant. Concierge lounge & staff were better than most. Free parking, of course.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 21 August 2017

We cannot thank you enough for your kind review and helpful advice. Glad you enjoyed the shuttle and other guest amenities. As a tripadvisor contributor, your terrific feedback means even more to us and the traveling community. Thank you for your praise and we can't wait to see you on your next visit!
Safe Travels
Jamison

Reviewed 17 August 2017

We needed an airport hotel for the night before a very early departure to Vegas. Our go-to hotel at DTW is the Westin, but since this flight was out of the Smith terminal, it didn't make sense to pay a premium to stay at the Westin (more than double the cost of the Marriott) when we would still have to take a shuttle to the terminal the next morning. This led to our choosing the Marriott, since it was the best-priced 3.5 star hotel for that night. We parked on site that night and drove to the Big Blue Deck the next morning.

The airport Marriott was a very pleasant surprise: a modern, clean, full-service hotel with attractive and comfortable rooms that appear to have been very recently refurbished. We had dinner in downtown Detroit earlier, so we did not take advantage of the on-site restaurant. And since we had to check out at 4AM, we did not get to use the indoor pool or fitness centre, but it's nice to know the Marriott has everything the Westin offers, except for bathrobes and direct access to the McCarran terminal.

We will definitely consider staying at the Airport Marriott again before or after flights from the Smith terminal.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Beyond_YXU
Management response:Responded 21 August 2017

What a great review! We love your headline. More importantly, we love that you enjoyed your visit. It truly makes our work worthwhile to read your remarks. Glad to hear wonderful comments. We hope to see you again on your next visit. Safe travels!