“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Petoskey
Sydney
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Warm, welcoming hotel in a good location. Great value and beautiful views from the balcony.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

This is our go-to spot for staying with our two teenaged sons while skiing. 10-15 minutes from Nubs Nob and Boyne Highlands. 15-20 minutes from Boyne Moutain . This makes it an excellent option if you're skiing at NN or BH, or if you wish to split your time between the three ski resorts. This Holiday Inn Express is MUCH nicer than the one in Gaylord. Lots of restaurants and shops close by (as well as the Odawa Casino and a movie theater) as it is in Petoskey. This makes it nice if you want to do something after a day of skiing. In the winter, look out in the parking lot and nearly every vehicle has skis in a rack on top.
The classic free breakfast you find at HIE hotels.....served by a very cheerful breakfast staff that keeps it well supplied. Perfectly feeds teenaged boys! Good sized indoor pool with 9 person hot tub and dry sauna. They do put a lot of chemicals in the pool/hot tub, but there are 2 shower stalls for rinsing off before you head back to your room.
Overall, a very nice and attractive HIE.

Room Tip: Rooms 325-331 are directly above the indoor pool, so they tend to be more humid feeling and have a b...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed over the New Years and the location is great. It is about a 10 minute or so drive to either Boyne or Boyne Highlands/Knubs Knob. They offer free limo service to guests within the city limits which is great for the casino, dinner, etc. (Our kids loved it!).

Rooms are clean, pool is nice, free breakfast and nice staff.

Grosse Pointe, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights. We had the Executive Mini Suite. Very nice room with fireplace & kitchen. On our last night, a noisy family with a whiny kid moved in next door. There was no one on the other side of us. Honestly, I don't know what they were doing in there: banging stuff around, rolling stuff on the floor, the kid was whining, and we could hear the parents. Needless to say the last night was horrible. I couldn't wait to get out of there. They were just as bad in the morning. The walls are VERY THIN just like the other reviewer noted. Also, on Thursday there were so many kids running around, up and down the stair wells, in the halls, we were glad to leave. I will say that Monday and Tuesday were very nice. We had a room on the 5th floor with a valley view. Having the fireplace in the living was nice. The place is clean and the coffee is good. The breakfast isn't much to talk about. We went to J. W. Filmore's for breakfast because my kids didn't think much of the breakfast at the hotel and neither did we.

Room Tip: Stay on the 5th floor and ask not to be connected to any room on either side if that's possible...
Ithaca, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

I read all the reviews before booking at this hotel. I was attending a wedding at Castle Farms in Charlevoix and wanted to find a hotel with a pool. I stayed 2 nights in December in a Valley View Room. Friday night there were a lot of rowdy teenagers throwing each other in the pool. No supervision. I'm surprised no one got hurt. Saturday thru Sunday we had the pool to ourselves. It was heavenly. I thought the pool was quite nice. However, the towel situation is rather odd. You get your towels for the pool at the front desk and 75% of the time the towels we got were the size of a hand towel. Maybe it's part of "going green" or something. The unruley kids at the pool was a bigger turnoff for sure. I think they need a camera to watch for stuff like that.
Rating the staff I found them to be very genuine and fun indivuals. Friday night when we arrived we carried our bags up to our room and headed back to the desk to get suggestions for a good restaurant. After getting a couple promising leads, I was asking for directions. I was offered the hotel limo. Within 5 minutes the 3 of us were on our way to Papa Lou's. Papa Lou's had great food and great atmosphere. I was scoring major points with the wife and kid at this moment.
Another major bonus was the breakfast that was included. I told my wife I generally don't like the "free breakfast" at the hotels. I pretty much planned on giving it a glance and heading out to a restaurant. Yes, it does end kind of early (around 9 or so), but we got there about 8:30 and it was the best free hotel breakfast I've ever had. My 4 year old son loved making his own pancakes. The eggs seemed real (not like the cardboard ones I was anticipating). They had quite a good selection of food. If you go hungry, it's your own fault. Kitchen staff was very pleasant and really showed they had pride in what they were providing. I know we were probably lucky as the hotel wasn't very full due to the time of year.
About our room. It was clean and in good condition. I did not see any peeling paint or dirty anything. It had a 32" LCD TV. We used the microwave and fridge. (Our son has a hollow leg and thinks he needs to eat every 2 hours). The view of the Valley was a nice touch. I'm sure if we had had a nice snow fall it would have been amazing.
Would I stay there again? You know it. I hope the hotel reads this review and realize they have a good thing going. To make me happier next time, they need to monitor what goes on at the pool and come up with a towel solution.
Thanks to all the staff. From the front desk, to the cafeteria, to limo driver, and the pool guy. We enjoyed talking to all of you! Yes, I did pay for my stay and do not have any affilitation that would bias me.
-Hippie Joe

Room Tip: I think they have a 2,000 square foot penthouse room. I'm sure it would be amazing, but my Vall...
1 Thank Dave B