“pretty hotel with comfortable beds and great service”

Hampton Inn & Suites Petoskey
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“pretty hotel with comfortable beds and great service”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

really liked this hotel, nicely done dining/common area and great service. The pool/hot tub are in an odd location in my opinion, however still enjoyable. The beds, as with all Hampton hotels were wonderful. Had no issues with giving us a later checkout, and all questions/recommendations were fantastic. Complimentary hot breakfast as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank simply07sarah
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Jersey Shore
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I travel for work and stay at many Hampton Inn's. Upon my arrival, I received a call to make sure everything was OK. The rooms are as expected. Comfy beds, clean rooms, WiFi, flat screen TV, and that's really all I need. The blow dryer in my room didn't work so I went downstairs and the front desk agent gave me a key to another room. I know that these aren't checked each time a guest leaves but I hope the agent reported it so the next guest doesn't have the same issue. The area around this Hampton is very beautiful. Make sure you ask for a room with a view of the lake. Unfortunately, I was on the side without the view.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Petoskey, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are pleased that we met all the expectations of an avid Hampton traveler. We appreciate you alerting us that the hairdryer in your room was not operating properly. We did make note of your findings and after checkout, your room’s device was fixed. We hope that using an alternate room’s device, was not too much of an inconvenience. Again, thank you for letting us know about your issue, so we may be able to provide an exceptional environment for all who stay with us. We hope that you consider us on your next trip.

Great White North
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Another visit, another good night's sleep in a great bed package. We never mind staying in the Petoskey Hampton Inn and can recommend it in good conscience to other travelers. Jonathan on the front desk recommended we eat at Southwoods across the street; he steered us well.

Room Tip: All rooms here are good
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Petoskey, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Roerk,

I’m Angela, GM at hotel. Thank you for constant feedback! We value your loyalty and continuing patronage. I’m delighted to find out that you consider our hotel to be very dependable when you are traveling, and that we are meeting all of your expectations during your stay. It is a goal of any Hampton. I will let Jonathan know was that you were pleased with his recommendation. See you next time.

All the best,
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed here for two nights in late February. After making reservation with Hilton points, faxed request for quiet room, view of lake if possible, upgraded room if possible. Called day prior to verify receipt of fax, and was told we had been upgraded to a third floor King Jacuzzi suite. Rec'd apology, in advance, for flooring work going on during our stay (new flooring replacing carpeting on ground floor only).

Upon arrival on a Tuesday afternoon, quick check-in. Used two luggage carts, one had a flat tire which I reported. Room was very large (hence the name King Jacuzzi suite). Large jacuzzi tub right in the room. King bed, view of lake, albeit over the roof of a strip mall. Sitting or laying on bed gives a great view, standing up you can see the roof of the mall. Room was fairly clean although we did find spots on wall near sink and toothpaste residue on towel bar. Tub was nice, room had a refrigerator and bar sink also, although this is not standard in hotel. Bathroom sink drain was slow, and cabinet door under microwave was falling off.

Standard Hampton breakfast, nothing special, standard Sysco cuisine that most hotels serve at these types of breakfasts. No "On the Run Breakfast" bags were visible either day, we didn't ask for one, but most Hamptons I've been in have them on the front counter. On the first evening we got back after dinner (8PM) and went for a cup of decaf tea and decaf coffee. Hot water decanter was lukewarm, decaf coffee was very weak. Luckily our room had a microwave and a coffee brewer, we zapped the hot water and made a cup of decaf coffee. I find that most hotels that have coffee out 24 hours either don't ensure it's hot, don't ensure it's not empty, or put new coffee in with old - so I wasn't surprised at the 8PM issues, either not on the list for the desk clerk or he didn't do it. On the 2nd morning at breakfast (8AM) the regular coffee was empty (robust had some in it), I knocked on the door of the kitchen and she came out and made some. Waffle batter also was almost out, pointed that out to her. She remedied both situations AND apologized to me, no attitude or anything. Just lost track of the coffee status I guess.

I did note that I didn't get a copy of USA Today at my door (lousy paper anyway), on 2nd day most doors had one but mine didn't again. No issue, on way to breakfast and copies in the lobby by breakfast.

Staff was friendly, maid service was good.

All in all, this is an average Hampton at which we received an above-average room due to a Hilton Diamond upgrade, so I can't comment on the normal rooms. Minor things wrong, all corrected (or they said they'd correct them when brought to their attention). I have a lot of Hilton points, so I only stay at a Hilton properties when traveling if at all possible, and in Northern Michigan they only have Hamptons, which of course is the economical Hilton brand. The problem with TripAdvisor ratings is that you're comparing high end properties with more economical properties - a Hampton Inn isn't Homewood Suites which isn't Embassy Suites, which sure isn't a Waldorf Astoria - yet they all get compared together in these ratings. My rating of 4 out of 5 is to try and keep it relative to the market in Petoskey.

Room Tip: Third floor gives view of lake on one side of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Petoskey, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear rickmktg,

I’m Angela McClanahan General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites in Petoskey. Thank you so much for staying with us and leaving positive feedback. We appreciate the time you have taken and also for pointing out areas for us to improve upon. Our on the go breakfast bags should have been available and I apologize if there were none on hand. I will discuss with our staff this concern as well as the other points you have mentioned. I am glad that my staff was able to assist with your issues quickly and politely. We hope you’ll stay with us again.

All the best,
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Rarely do Hampton Inns have any type of view, so we were pleasantly surprised to see Lake Michigan from our window. We were on the bottom floor, and they only have rooms on the lakeside at that level, yet we still had a view.

The room was quite fine, and the windows even opened for fresh air. We used the coin laundry and found that all went well, despite the fact there was one washer and one dryer. We also used the pool, and were able to prop the door for some fresh air there as well. There is a sun deck outside...an outdoor patio of sorts.

We enjoyed our stay here, and especially enjoyed our first trip to Petoskey. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family