“Charming inn for a great price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bay Inn Petoskey

Bay Inn Petoskey
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Charming inn for a great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

The owners were very friendly and offered great advice about what to do in the surrounding area. The location was great, just minutes from Petoskey and Bay Harbor but not right in the middle of everything. We had an unbeatable view of the bay from the window of our room and the setting is more quiet and relaxing than it would be in your typical chain hotel. Coffee, tea and snacks are laid out in the office and you are welcome to take as much as you'd like back to your room. Our room really had a cozy, homey feeling to it and you could tell someone actually took their time in decorating it. I would definitely stay here again upon returning to the area and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

It started during the check in process. I walked into the office and there was no one there. I pushed to button that said ring for service. He came in from outside saying yeah I'm here. I said I was sorry, I didn't know he was the innkeeper and the button said push for service. That button is for when I'm far from the desk. He asked me for my last name. I gave to him and asked him if he needed my confirmation number. He says to me nah I don't need that. Then he says oh yeah the expedia guy. Next time you should just call the hotel directly instead of giving the money to the Indians overseas. Then when he finished swiping my credit card he flips it on the counter instead of handing it back to me. Our room was room#1 so it showed some wear. The lock on the bath room window as well as the deadbolt on the front door were broken. The bathroom fixtures were old not quaint. When we left to sight see the the next morning we informed him that we didn't need the room cleaned. He then said oh that's our policy. I travel for a living and my girlfriend is a manager at a major hotel chain. We were both amazed that he would not honor our request for privacy. When we returned the found some extra towels in the bathroom but the room hadn't been cleaned. A couple of other little things I didn't like were, on the web site it said free breakfast. (granola bars and apples I believe) There was also a charge for ice if you wanted more than a bowl. The view was nice but we were on the first floor. People walking by can look in your room when you have your curtains open. I found an extra tv remote under the bed which obviously hadn't been cleaned in awhile. Believing in Karma I returned the extra remote to him upon checkout. Not even a thank you. My girlfriend and I are both in the travel industry. I realize people and businesses have bad days, but I'm also aware when I run across a bad person and bad business. There are beautiful views all the way down this road. I'll choose a different view next time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Travelr1999
Shirley O, Owner at Bay Inn Petoskey, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
WE APOLOGIZE for anything we may have said or done to make you unhappy with your stay.

OUR MAIN PRIORITY AT BAY INN OF PETOSKEY IS ALWAYS OUR GUESTS.

Shirley Osterlund, owner
Lansing, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

My husband and I stayed for a weekend when we had a wedding at Castle Farms in Charlevoix. I was shocked to see how expensive hotels are in the area during the summer. I am happy that I found this gem. Because of the price we were able to stay 2 nights for the price we would have paid for 1 night elsewhere. The hotel is situated in a great location between Petosky and Charlevoix, near Bay Harbor. It made it convienant to travel to all 3 cities. In addition, we had a great view of the lake. I was able to relax while reading a book on the patio, looking at the lake. The owners were very nice and had snacks out for us when we arrived. Our room had a micro/firdge, so we were able to eat our leftovers! Although it was old, the room was decorated cute and the cleanest room I've seen in a long time. There was plenty of room and had a comfy chair to sit and watch TV, which is great since I'm 7 months pregnant. The hotel is quiet too, which I appreciated. Some of the other guests at the wedding who paid double the price we did were so mad when we told them about our hotel because they said theirs was very small and dirty and double the price. We definately will stay at this hotel every time we are in the area and recommend it to others. The only downside for me is that there is not a pool, but there are plenty of beaches in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lawyer01
san francisco ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I've often stayed at the Comfort Inn on U.S. 31, north of Petoskey, because it's closer to my family. But I'm fed up with their high rates and deteriorating facility there. So I did an internet search and found this place at a much better price. The location is not as convenient for me (but it might be for). But I really liked the setting (lake view), the condition (clean and simple), and especially the friendliness of the husband and wife owners. It's really kind of "down home." You just pick up your coffee packs and cinnamon rolls at the office each not for your morning....as much as you'd like. Mostly, I loved the price. I found $75 on the internet. They asked $90 when I got there, but I just told them I found $75 on the internet, and they said "fine." So, be sure to do your internet shopping first.

Room Tip: Upper level has the better views. Park near the exterior staircase to make it easy to get up.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
RaceHorseLady
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stumbled upon this sweet little inn while trying to find overnight lodging during Traverse City's Cherry Festival....ouch!! I am so glad that we were not able to find lodging in TC.....this little inn is a gem. First of all the view is beautiful....unobstructed view of Lake Michigan. The inn itself is very clean, tastefully decorated and in a quiet area on the outskirt of Petoskey (US 31). The innkeepers are very friendly and accomodating. The rooms are small but charming. We look forward to staying every time we travel to Michigan.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor...no elevators.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple