“Excellent food and service, decent location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Sangam

Hotel Sangam
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Thanjavur
Manhattan, New York, United States
“Excellent food and service, decent location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Just completed two nights at Hotel Sangam. Room was spacious if not the most stylish thing out there, bed and bedding very comfortable. WiFi in room is very fast with a stable connection (though you have to pay for it). Food at all meals was excellent (at least the Indian and Chinese options; didn't try any of the Continental cuisine). Grounds very pleasant.

Regarding the construction going on: They were working on the room right next to mine and while I was certainly aware of the work going on due to banging, at least for me it didn't disturb my stay in any way. It started well after I was up in the morning and ended well before going to sleep. Was never so loud that you had to, say, turn up the TV to hear it or talk more loudly on the phone.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chennai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We received a lovely welcome on arrival with cool drinks. We were advised that renovation work was being carried out but it didn't really disturb us. Most pleasing was that the extra bed for our son was already set up in the room without us needing to request it and indeed it was a proper bed rather than a thin mattress on the floor, which we have found to be quite unusual in India. We dined in the restaurant twice. The food was very good but the large, high-ceilinged room lacked ambiance - music might have been nice.

Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Out of no where we've entered the hotel.
It is very simple entrance and room, however everything you need is there.
The room is very spacious and clean, everything you need is in the hotel and in your room.
The staff are very nice, helpfull and knowledgable.
The food is just great and the menue is very diversified.
Our experience in this hotel is very good and we really enjoyed our stay.

New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Summary
We recommend this hotel. Location, Rooms and Amenities are all very well; hotel caters and hoists mostly to foreign tourist groups. Rooms are spacious and clean. Friendly staff.

Rooms
Really big rooms with safe box and plenty of space for luggage, clothes and your usual travel stuff. A/C perfect, quiet, especially when you are not facing the main road. Autorikshaws can be hired in front of the hotel. No noise from corridors outside.

Bathrooms
Little bit worn out but otherwise very OK.

Pool
Yes, there is a pool. The water has been almost clear, it was warm and just so pure that the bats in the evening started their drinking manoeuvers between us and other tourists; impressive to watch. Very welcome after a long day sightseeing.

Buffet served, all said. Take a la carte, which is better choice and healthier.

But …
Every day from 09:00h until 18:00h the hammer drill was going on. Remember the “little bit worn out” bathrooms. Some of them were under massive renovation, meaning that tiles and walls had to be removed; we guests, too, since it was impossible to stay in the hotel or in the pool from 9 in the morning till to 6 in the evening.
Were we come from, you complain and are helped by the staff or get free meals or else. Not in this hotel. A written excuse is handed over from the receptionist with a smile – that must do. Very interesting, since it gave us the impression that we are stupid milk cows, who are expected to swallow what is served, especially the bitter pill of constant noise. Considering having paid more than 4000INR per room per night, this is not acceptable and management and staff of the hotel get a thumbs down.

Ask the hotel before booking: “Is renovation going on during our stay?”

Booked through Make-My-Trip.

Are we returning? Only after confirmation that no works in progress.

Stayed in April 2012, 2 rooms, 2 nights.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quieter.
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

While staying at the Hotel Sangam in January 2012, a power surge destroyed my camera charger. Due to my limited understanding of such things, I did not realize that this had nothing to do with the hotel and was in no way their fault.

I was quite distraught and although I didn't abuse the staff (I'm happy to say), I think that I was a bit unfair and put them in an awkward position. I insisted on speaking to the General Manager, V.C. Venkatesh. Although I was moving on to another city that day, he made every effort to assist and called me several times on my cell phone. It's a long story and I won't go into all the details, the end result was that with the assistance of a photographer colleague of Mr. Venkatesh's in Madurai, a replacement charger was hand-delivered to me at the next hotel that same evening.

I was incredibly relieved and impressed. I cannot say enough about the commitment to service . . . it was, indeed, "above and beyond." The hotel itself, as a hotel, was fine too.

To say that I was impressed and relieved is an understatement.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo