New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Mersa Matruh
Los Angeles, California
“Conflicted”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

Rating this hotel from a scale of 1 to 5 was a little difficult for me because of my experience there with staff. I am also conflicted about whether or not I would recommend this resort because of the following pros and cons:

Pros: The location is absolutely stunning! It was secluded, romantic, and perfect. It rained both days that I was there but I did get a couple hours of sunshine which awesome and sufficient enough for me to enjoy the nice warm beach and fall in love. The water temperature was perfect in Oct. though the weather was gloomy and the rain came and went. The price of the hotel was expensive for Egypt (about 215 USD per night via Expedia.com; but if you wanted to extend your stay and book there it’s about 400 USD… even though the hotel was practically empty. I don’t really get it) The 215 was a great price though for the beautiful beach. My husband and I got the regular superior room which was spacious and had a view of the pool area and beach. I enjoyed the dinner buffet there.

Cons:
Booking difficult-I originally had tried to book this hotel on my own and online using its website but received no response or confirmation so I was worried about my booking. After about a week of waiting I email the actual info/general inquiry for the Jaz travel company and received an email stating that the Jaz Crystal resort should be contacting me soon. They did not so I ended up booking via Expedia. I stayed in Alexandria a week before going to Mersa Matrouh and I took the bus to there.
Location difficult/ name not recognized by cab drivers- At the bus station lots of the taxi drivers did not know the name Jaz Crystal. Then came this one person who I had thought tried to help us out by asking around other taxi drivers for us, but he took my confirmation paper so I was worried and asked for it back but he grabbed my luggage instead which I didn’t like. My husband then told me that he knew where Jaz Crystal was located. I asked him again because he didn’t seem fluent in English and he said yes. I asked him how much and he gave said 10 LE so we got in. He then took us to the Beau hotel and I told him that wasn’t our hotel so he took us to 2 more which I told him no and I wanted off. He then told us wait, wait and went to some restaurants with securities there who spoke English. I told the security that our taxi driver seems lost so I wanted to find a different cab and asked them to please ask him to give us our bags, they spoke in Arabic for a bit looked at my address/confirmation and then security told me that the cab driver knows now. I figured… whatever, we’ve already spent an hour with him, and there were no taxi to be found anywhere so we really didn’t have a choice. He drove us around for another 30min or so and I was really upset because it was now late and I there was nothing on the road but dirt. He finally stopped and I think a check point and got out of the car, was chatting with the guards, had a cigarette and took his time. I was angry by then and my husband had reminded me women aren’t suppose to be so vocal. So he waved his hand and our cab driver came back and asked if we were going to Jaz Almaza and so I couldn’t help myself and reminded him that he was the driver and he’s suppose to know but if all he knew was Almaza then let’s go there. I remember seeing that that was one of the hotels in the Jaz chain so I figured I’d rather get dropped off there and have that hotel send me to the right hotel then waste anymore time. It turned out that it was at the same location as the Jaz Almaza. When we arrived 2.5 hours later, I was angry that we wasted so much time; my husband didn’t have change so he gave the man a 20 instead which I didn’t care too much about because it’s not much in USD. I was upset however because the cabdriver got upset and spoke in Arabic to security and the bell boy who requested us to pay the cab at least 120 LE. I refused it because it was not agreed upon.
Check-in: The front desk did not seem to want us to check-in or proceed with the process. He was interested in why we wouldn’t pay our driver. I explained that we had pay our driver, in fact, we paid him double what he had asked for and double what we had agreed on despite his little stunt. But regardless, I didn’t see how it was relevant us checking-in. I just wanted a bed but the front desk continued to annoy us with questions and explain how the cab driver made a mistake but we should pay him. I had explained to the front desk that the money wasn’t the issue and if the cab driver had informed me ahead of time of the amount then it would not be a problem either. My problem was that the cab driver deceived us, wasted my evening, and then is demanding more money for his mistakes. On top of that I was tired and the front desk wouldn’t give me a room so I asked for the manager which he stated that there none available so I had to give an ultimatum and asked if I was going to get my room or not. I did, half an hour later. I felt bad because the bell boy looked scared of me. So during the rest of our stay we tried to tip generously to everyone,
Room: As mentioned above, our room was huge, spacious, and comfortable but bathroom was not as clean as I had expected for 5 star. There were mold in the tub and shower. I don’t know if it was because I was “mean” that they placed us there… but I didn’t want to be a complaining American decided to just shower with sandals. I felt like we were the only ones in that building. It was kind of eerie.
Amenities- I think there was only one restaurant there unless you want to eat at the other 2 hotels next door. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner was buffet and was around 400 LE for 2 people per meal drinks not included. Other than eating, drinking, and beach, there was really nothing else. The night life there was bad. The hotel is really isolated which is nice and not so nice. My husband and I went down to front desk and asked what was there to do and he basically told us what we knew: eat, drink, or pool. I didn’t even see any entertainment that other reviewers were talking about. It was pretty dead by 8pm, but that’s not a big deal. I got to snuggle with my husband and watch TV. I had ordered breakfast in bed and I hate to complain, but they didn’t or couldn’t get it right. I didn’t ask for anything fancy JUST SIMPLY what was on the menu. An American continental, toast, and fruit. The poor server came to our room thrice bringing more jam flavors, more bread and never our bacon or fruit. So I called and told them it was ok, I no longer needed the fruit. After I had cancelled, our fruit came. No free wifi at all and no paid internet option in the room. Paid internet is only accessible in the lobby.
Other services- I asked about tours and day trips around the area because in the guest book there was a section that said “contact us for tours and travel arrangements.” First call, the person who picked up told me that it was my responsibility to arrange my own plans. I told my husband and we decided that that was strange and almost a little rude so I called again and this time the person was nice but told us that unfortunately they didn’t accommodate Americans. There were Italian tours, Russians, etc. but no American. I asked about their limo service (just a regular car) and they were able to drive us back to Alexandria so we could catch the train to Cairo. It was funny though because when we went with the driver the staff all started talking in Arabic and then the same front desk person who checked us in said to us, “you make sure you pay him. You know how much it is.” I guess the whole time our service was probably awkward because we were the Americans who didn’t pay. Our limo ride was 766 LE.

Overall, the experience was disappointing but that 3 hour on the beach was so nice that I am conflicted about whether or not recommend. It was so beautiful that I would say go there but don’t expect anything more the beach. I think next time I visit Mersa Matrouh, I am going to look really hard to see if there are any other resort option.

1 Thank KiwiMochi
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Arabic first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

Just came back from 2 weeks at the Jaz Crystal through First Choice and enjoyed the break away. The hotel is in a good location. the beach is simply stunning, one of the best i have ever been to, comparable with beaches in the Carribean. The pool is large and the bar is well located. We where AI and with that we got free drinks all day. The cocktail list though for AI is limited so be warned, not EVERYTHING is free!
As for the rep, Kay was great but the British animation team where to be quite honestly lazy as hell (they where italian too!). They did nothing and looked to be on a holiday themselves. How they got paid for that i would love to know, sounds like a great job! (One didnt come out all day because he had a tooth ache!!!) It would be very unfair to label Bianca in that lot though, she could always be seen working with the kids and she was always around, but the others where simply already clocked off for the year i think and would be very surprised if the hotel persists with them next season.
The waiters and bar staff where great and in reception everything was dealt with brilliantly.
The Food! I read alot on here and didnt know what to expect and decided i would simply wait and make up my own mind, and i did...Its poor! But let me clarify what i mean by that, for a 4/5* Resort it fails to met my expectations. There was certainly enough edible stuff on a daily basis, but dont go there expecting 5* meals, more like 2/3 star. Some nights where better than others though. We both got a stomach bug whilst there and a few other people we met did too. take precautions!
We also went on trips to Cairo which is a massive long day, beware of the locals in Giza Pyrimids taking your photo and not giving you back your camera till you have paid them 50 LE! The Sand Buggy trip was the highlight though and well recomended, but the shopping trip into town was simply a waste of time and money.
All in all i am glad i went, but i think the resort failed to met my expectations with the food and the fact the season was ending meant that everything/one was in wind down mode (The hotel looked like a work site as they prepared to shut down for the next 4 months as well), but i think the cheaper price offered for the holiday took this into account.
I would endorse the place but don't let appearances confuse you! Its a nice get away, but in no way is this place 5 star luxury...

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

We have recently returned from 2 weeks at the Jaz Crystal Resort in Marsa Matruh where we had a fantastic time. This is part of the Jaz Resort, consisting of 3 low-rise hotels, and personally I think this is the best one. We had originally booked through Thomsons to stay at the Jaz Oriental but due to various problems our booking was altered to the Jaz Crystal, which resulted in us being allocated one of the larger suites (Room 4124).

This suite consisted of a large bathroom complete with walk-in shower (similar to all other rooms) but there was an additional large lounge area and huge bedroom – and the bed was massive and extremely comfortable. Both my husband and I could do starfish impressions without invading each other’s space! Our “maid” was superb and his towel arrangements were first class – including the monkey hanging from the ceiling which greeted us one day after we returned from the beach!

This is a very quiet resort, with nothing surrounding the 3 Jaz Resort hotels although the apartments currently under construction will soon be finished. Obviously nightlife evolves around the hotels which was very low-key and part of the resort’s attraction for us. The poolside is well furnished with sunbeds, there are even more sunbeds on the beach, and no matter what time of the day you could always find one at either location. It was an added bonus that there wasn’t the normal early-morning scrum to reserve a sunbed! Our beach boy was great and liked to practice his English, including reading out loud from our books. I managed to hide my Jackie Collins paperback just in time as otherwise that could have been very embarrassing!

This is the only part of Egypt which closes down at the end of October until April, and therefore the hotel was not full and although some members of staff were leaving to start work at other hotels on the Red Sea, the remaining staff were still very friendly and helpful. There are so many members of staff who helped make our holiday memorable, the majority called Mohammed, and it is difficult to name them all. However, the pool bar staff were very amusing and in particular “our son” Mahmoud.

We were very impressed with the quality and wide selection of food available at breakfast and in the evening (we don’t eat lunch) and are definitely back on a diet since returning home! We had a snack at the pool bar on our last day (pizza for my husband and steak sandwich for me) which was very tasty and the chips were superb. Just as well we didn’t eat there more often!

Please be aware that you have to pay extra if you want bottled water, which seems to be the practice being adopted throughout Egypt in an attempt to cut down on waste and particularly plastic bottles. Water by the glass is readily available at the various bars and you can still buy bottled water from the mini-bar, bars or reception. In addition you could refill your plastic bottle from the many water dispensers. It was reassuring to know that ice is made from bottled water, thus reducing the risk of stomach upsets.

The holiday would not have been complete without our Rep, Kay, who was very helpful, informative and could always be found around the hotel. An added touch to her welcome meeting was being introduced to the hotel management team and obviously Kay had some very useful tips/information regarding the Jaz Resort itself. The Hotel management hold a weekly Cocktail Party to which all of the British guests are invited. The management are genuinely interested in receiving any comments and feedback as they want to encourage more British visitors and unless they are aware of a problem they cannot address it.

We had booked the Tale of Two Cities trip (Cairo overnight and then to Alexandria) our second week but due to lack of numbers the trip was cancelled. Instead we went on the day trip to Cairo day which was fantastic. There were only 12 of us and so we had more one-to-one time with our guide, Mohammed, whose knowledge and command of the English language was excellent. The pyramids and the Sphinx are incredible. We decided to take advantage of the pony and trap (about £20) which meant we saw so much more of the pyramids and have some amazing pictures from various angles! The museum is also very interesting and there’s so much to see in such a short time. Although it was a very long day (pick up at 4 a.m. and not back until about 10 p.m.) it was well worth it. An added touch by the Hotel is the restaurant remains open until you return (complete with fresh pasta station) so that you can still have a hot meal if you wish.

The only negative comment I would make is regarding the Animation Team for British guests. The Italians have their own animation team, employed by Going, and obviously this is aimed at their own guests who are eager participants. Their activities normally take place on the beach and can be quite noisy at times. However, the lads providing entertainment for the British guests kept a very low profile which might have been due to limited guest participation or apathy towards the end of the season. The lads were normally sitting around the various bars and didn’t even encourage the British guests to join in the “hotel dance”. This changed with the arrival of Bianca to the team, a very friendly and enthusiastic German who wanted to provide something for the British guests. She attempted Aqua Gym with limited success as the pool was quite deep so some of the participants could only stand on tip-toe whilst trying to perform energetic moves. Another day Bianca tried Aqua Gym in the sea but the waves were rather unpredictable with amusing results! However, her morning stretching was very enjoyable and she also persuaded some of the guests to do the “hotel dance”. Hopefully next year’s Animation Team for British guests will be more proactive.

We would definitely recommend this Hotel to others although you must appreciate that part of its appeal is its quiet location with limited entertainment on-site. The staff and service are superb and you will be really spoilt. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday, in a quiet resort with a beautiful white sandy beach you will definitely not be disappointed.

We hope to go back to the Jaz Crystal again in the not too distant future.

Bracknell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

As previous reports, this is an really excellent resort. The Crystal is the best of the three 5* Jaz hotels on this beach. It is slightly smaller and quieter. More suited to couples requiring peace and quiet. This said, the italians and there animation team did make considerable noise at times.

Overall a superb hotel, the public areas, rooms, pools were immaculate and there is a spectacular beach. Food quality varied a bit, but always enough options to keep you satisfied.

Neither my wife or I suffered any illnesses as reported in previous reports. Neither did we meet anyone making comments about serious sickness. You just need to take care, the reps handouts issue common sense, sound advice, do's & don't that apply throughout the world.

We wanted two weeks rest and relaxation and got it in abundance..... wonderful.
Many thanks to all the hotel staff and to Kay our rep., for making this happen .

My advise, go soon before massive delelopment turns this area into the next Sharm!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

We arrived at night and the check in was quick and efficient. One of the staff told us the important info straight away, where to go to eat etc and we were directed to our room and told that dinner was waiting. Lovely.
The hotel looks like the brochure photos which we all know is rare! Our standard room was very comfortable and very clean. We had a view of the pool and the sea. The bathroom was nice and the shower was decent. The foyer is stunning, but the bar inside is a little over the top, we only went once for the cocktail party, where one of the managers asked me to review the hotel on Tripadviser. The terrace bar is very nice and you can catch the evening breeze whilst sipping your cocktail. Perfect!
Food was ok, but we paid £520 each and I thought it was fantastic value for money. There was a good choice, for breakfast there was an omelette station, (always busy), continental, salad, some fruit, choice of juice and hot drinks etc, loads of pastries, and a nod to a English breakfast, beans, beef bacon, chicken sausages etc. And the hardest boiled eggs you will ever eat! We ate lunch at the pool bar, which was good. A different menu everyday, a salad, a cold sandwich , a hot sandwich, and 3 pizzas. Dinner at the main restaurant was a buffet of local food (lovely) and a chef always talked us through the local food. Pasta, British food, a grill, loads of salad and loads of little pastries and desserts. My husband and I had bad tummies for the whole week, we had taken Immodium with us, and although annoying, it didn’t ruin our stay. We are the only ones out the people we met that had this though. On the last night we ate at The Corello restaurant, which was nice for a change and came to about £70.00, for 2 courses and water. I had 5 enormous prawns which were delicious.
The staff were very helpful and attentive. Our room boy was very attentive and left various towel creations and flowers on the bed and insisted on giving me a fresh flower everyday for my hair. A note on the tipping side, we tipped a British £ everyday, when we researched it, the consensus seemed to be that this is what the staff preferred. But it seemed to me that they had trouble changing the pound coins and we were frequently asked to change coins for British notes. We were NEVER hassled to tip, and I think all the staff deserved a little something.
There were plenty of Italians, they kept themselves to themselves, they were loud on the beach, but they were having lots of fun, and it didn’t bother us. I never felt the Italians got better treatment to the Brits, they had a bigger animation team, and they are really into the organised games etc. I am not, so I wasn’t bothered at all. Marco the Sports animator organised lots of games for the Brits, which my husband joined in with and enjoyed. The boys got quite competitive, as some were against The Almaza and the Italians. And I think our British boys enjoyed watching the Italian girls doing their aerobics on the beach! Well, I know they did! I think personally think it would be nice if the Italians and the Brits were integrated a bit. But this may be down to the different holiday companies rather than the hotel.
The pools looked lovely, very big and looked clean, I did not swim in them as I prefer the beach, which was very clean, the sea was crystal clear, clean and warm.
Negatives, which are very small, the sun beds (of which there are plenty) hurt my back! And sometimes the pool bar closed early and refused to serve us at 11.40. Confusing and mildly irritating. The communal areas (corridors, stairs and pool side toilets) could do with a better clean.
We didn’t do any trips, and heard the shopping trip was a waste of time, but the jeep trip to the Bedouins was fantastic. Kay the rep was very helpful and gave a good exchange rate for money. The resort is on the middle of nowhere, so there is literally nothing to do outside.
After midnight we occasionally went to the Club at The Almaza. Lovely little place, outdoors and beautifully furnished, unfortunately the DJ (British) was awful and the speakers were TERRIBLE! But after enough alcohol, and with a good bunch of people, it was a lot of fun. Note on this, you can talk some of the bar guys into giving you extra drinks to take with you or buy some cans. The drinks can be pricey. We went one night and they wanted £22 British for 2 Vodka and cokes. My husband kicked up a fuss and they let us have them for free. We went on Friday but it was closed, Saturday was Salsa night or something, but I really enjoyed watching the Italians doing their thing. Monday is British night, but that is a matter of opinion!
We met a great bunch of people, you know who you are, and we all had a blast. A week is plenty here, 2 weeks would be too much, especially as everything is repeated on a weekly basis.
I would go back at the same time of year, end of September, not too busy, not too hot, not too expensive. It wasn’t perfect by any means but if you are paying what we paid then it really is fantastic value for money.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
36.5 km away
Beau Site Hotel Marsa Matruh
Beau Site Hotel Marsa Matruh
#7 of 15 in Mersa Matruh

Been to Jaz Crystal Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK