See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

We needed a last minute place to stay why we were on a weekend getaway because of an unfortunate situation this last late Friday night early Saturday morning and Julie was just all around great and I want to make sure she knows how much we appreciated her kindness and hospitality! She let us look at the room before we paid for it and also gave us a ground level handicap room which we really appreciated! The room was very clean and so was the bathroom! The pool and hot tub was a bonus and we really enjoyed the use of that after we got back from our river trip Saturday! Thank you for saving our weekend Julie and for the awesome hospitality!

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2017

We visited family again in Mio, and again chose the AuSable Valley Inn.

I'm going to get the negative out of the way first....To the grandparents more interested in their smartphones than keeping an eye on their grandchildren, who ran wild throughout the property and in the pool, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Now, my first review of this property was titled a "Nice little gem" and the place truly is. Clean, affordable, and the most modern property in town. Wealth of choices on the TV. Spacious and clean room. Convenient to everything.

An added trip back in time: actual keys to the room doors. Not cards. KEYS.

Do yourselves a favor, if you're ever in the deep north of Michigan looking for a place to lay your weary head, give the AuSable Valley Inn a shot.

Date of stay: June 2017
2  Thank Eyegore
Reviewed 6 November 2016 via mobile

We stayed overnight here in this simple but clean Inn. The room was spotless and freshly painted. Plenty of room in both the room and restroom. The bed wasn't the most comfortable but it was good. Breakfast was not healthy, donuts or muffins were offered.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank SRock49
Reviewed 15 August 2016

Our family stayed there for our annual canoe trip we reserved 5 rooms. We checked in early before any other families had arrived and my son's room had a very bad smell (old stale smoke and B.O.). My room was fine so I went with him to check it out and there definitely was an issue with smell. He complained at the front desk and was told to go talk to the owner. The owner went up and said he couldn't smell anything (he is a smoker in his office). My son was so upset, I went to talk to the owner and ask if he could just change the room with someone who had not checked in, he absolutely refused to change the room (they had pre-assigned the rooms prior to check in) We said no one else had checked in why can't you change his room? His very stern reply was "they already have their bags in the room". My son had not unpacked but simply put his bags on one of the beds before heading down to talk to front desk.
Also, later on two members of our family were "yelled at" for taking too much ice. The owner literally came out of his office and threatened to tell the rest of the guests that we took too much ice and what room we were in, we only had taken 2 buckets each. (total of four buckets).
Other issues were our outlets in the room didn't work, we couldn't plug in phone chargers and the WiFi was so slow we couldn't even post any photos of our time together.

We go to Mio every year for a long weekend, this is the first time we stayed at AuSable Inn and will definitely be the last time! I have traveled extensively and have never come across such horrible customer service. This place is listed for sale, If I were looking at this property I would seriously consider how many customers this current owner has managed to "scare away" that have not bothered to post their bad experiences.

Room tip: Don't waste your money or time on this place
Date of stay: August 2016
4  Thank Trenton19
Reviewed 18 June 2016

We stayed here on a Sunday night because the relatives house we were visiting was full. Our room (205) was very clean and spacious. My wife complained that the sheets made her itchy.
The heater/AC unit didn't work right. The entire unit shut off once it decided the room was cool enough and the only way to get it to turn back on was to turn it all the way down. I've never seen one of these units that shut the fan off like this but this one did. Because of this it was hard to keep the room comfortable and sleep good, this is why I only gave 3 stars instead of 4.
Breakfast is free but consisted of very small donuts and small muffins we both felt like we were being watched by the woman at the front desk to make sure we didn't eat more than one small donut. Now for the price we paid for the room this was no big deal we just went down the road about a mile (North) and ate a huge breakfast at the Paddle Inn. Would I stay here again? Yes but I'd ask for a different room. FYI I did leave a note for management about the a/c unit but I wonder if they set them up that way to save electricity.

Date of stay: June 2016