New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
canada
“Bugs, Bull%$@!, and Beyond”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

Positives- the sun still rose in the morning

Negatives- 1) front desk staff- would have to improve 10 fold to reach laughably inept- ignorance and attitude are delivered in spades- during an exchange with the front desk I honestly stopped and looked for the hidden cameras as I thought i was on candid camera or the like
2) rooms- dated and dirty and bugs don't even split the bill with you but do share your room with you- but they were there first (full disclosure- we were moved from that room to another that was better but with the bar set so low better is relative - this after a 30 min exchange with the front desk where it was disclosed to us that it was northern Michigan and bugs are to be expected- not part of the info on their website- no we are not wallflowers a spider in the room would not be a big deal spider webs on all walls was a little much- sand on the carpets- did I mention the crud on the faucets and TV remote and the carpet which came from a early 70's brothel complete with stains
3) front desk- yes I know I already mentioned it but really but I’m still waiting for someone to say you have been punked- after 10 minutes in the room I went down to check out and ask for refund- that idea was shot down before it even left my mouth in what seemed to be a rehearsed response which lead me to believe I was not the first person to express some concerns- “we do not refund give refunds- your complaints are asinine/ but you are welcome to call head office but others have tried and they always side with us because we are independent” – seriously?
Finally I always check trip advisor and this time I didn't and it bit me you know where well at least some thing bit me- did I mention the staff?

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank sinatra1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
London, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

The exterior of the hotel looks nice, and it is right on the water front. The room itself just seemed really out-dated, tired and really strong antiseptic type smell. The floor felt like you were walking on cement with a very thin carpet on it. The windows opened, but unfortunately didn't have screens so it was hard to air it out. It was a very large room however and 2 queen size beds which you don't always get. We got in to town late and really couldn't take the time to try to switch/ look elsewhere. If travelling through again, I'd want to look ahead to find a nicer rooms for the money.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Milford, MI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

This place is a dump and I cannot believe that the owner hasn't done anything about it! Look at the other reviews on this site alone and DON'T STAY HERE. We got into town and tried to check into the hotel before heading to Mackinac Island for the day. I was advised that the room wasn't ready and that I needed to check in prior to heading to the island that morning. I was stupid and checked in without seeing the hotel room that he "THOUGHT" we were going to stay in. When we returned from the island we got to the hotel with our keys and saw this gross old building that was NOTHING like what we saw on the internet. We walked in and it reeked of mold and then walked out. Having a child with breathing problems, this wasn't going to fly! I told the manager that I wanted a new room because of the smell. He proceeded to tell me that what he was now going to give me was his LAST room. We went up to that room and it seemed a lot better and we put our bags in it and went to dinner. When we returned I found a ziploc bag of cookies and bread on the top of the tv cabinet...it WASN'T ours. At this time I was exhausted and just put it in the trash. About 12:00 the neighbors started making a lot of noise and wouldn't quiet down, so a call to the front desk. I was told that it would be taken care of by them. Well, I didn't expect the front desk to call them and tell them that the neighbors were complaining about the noise. My then load neighbors then began kicking the wall and screaming to make sure that we really heard them. I was really scared for my family that these crazy people were going to do something to us! When I addressed the front desk with all the problems that we had during our short stay I was basically given the middle finger by the manager and told he didn't care if I posted a bad review about the hotel....so, take it from me, stay somewhere else that is clean and friendly. Oh, and a hotel that told me that me not calling several more times about the noise was, "MY PROBLEM" that the people next door to us couldn't have been kicked out! GREAT!

3 Thank LaxMomX2

Travellers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Roselle, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

We booked here for 2 nights. When we came in for an early check in , the staff was very helpful and friendly. Parking was a bit small and must navigate carefully to avoid hitting parked cars. The room was nice and clean except for a few pieces of dog food that was on the floor left by the previous occupants. The beachfront location had a very nice view of the Island and bridge. The free breakfast was good and had lots of selections but you have to be there early in order to avoid the crowd. The place was a litttle pricy though but our stay was nice and comfortable.
One thing that has to be done though and implemented is to have guest with dogs clean after their pets. There was quite a bit of dog poop behind the hotel by the beachfront. . Guest should be reminded that this is a must...

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Princeton, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

This hotel is a dump. Let me go through my experience in order: Dirty employees, dirty buildings, dirty front door, incredibly dirty room, dirty bed, don't tough the bathroom faucets, why is there carpeting on the shelves?, dirty little cheap refrigerator, good Lord this is scary, must we stay here?, good night Honey. The only thing that was clean and healthy were the bugs in the bed.

Next morning - walk to breakfast area, good gosh is the the dining room or the restroom?, guests were born in barns from the looks of the tables and carpet, I wouldn't eat that Honey, let's go out for breakfast.

Afternoon - let's go to the pool. Arrive at pool. Look at pool. Leave pool area immediately. Still dry.

Later that afternoon - walk to the beach, the ground looked like Haiti (and not in a good way). Are those sewage pipes? What's that garbage in the water - this is a swamp, not a lake. If the sand in the website photos were golden and immaculate, why are they black and weedy now? Let's go back to the room.

That night, trying to shower - Oh look, someone's old towel hung on the rod, it that considered an extra towel? Ooh, extra hair.

Room Tip: Stay away, far away.