“Just seemed rather run-down.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
London, Ontario
“Just seemed rather run-down.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

The exterior of the hotel looks nice, and it is right on the water front. The room itself just seemed really out-dated, tired and really strong antiseptic type smell. The floor felt like you were walking on cement with a very thin carpet on it. The windows opened, but unfortunately didn't have screens so it was hard to air it out. It was a very large room however and 2 queen size beds which you don't always get. We got in to town late and really couldn't take the time to try to switch/ look elsewhere. If travelling through again, I'd want to look ahead to find a nicer rooms for the money.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Milford, MI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

This place is a dump and I cannot believe that the owner hasn't done anything about it! Look at the other reviews on this site alone and DON'T STAY HERE. We got into town and tried to check into the hotel before heading to Mackinac Island for the day. I was advised that the room wasn't ready and that I needed to check in prior to heading to the island that morning. I was stupid and checked in without seeing the hotel room that he "THOUGHT" we were going to stay in. When we returned from the island we got to the hotel with our keys and saw this gross old building that was NOTHING like what we saw on the internet. We walked in and it reeked of mold and then walked out. Having a child with breathing problems, this wasn't going to fly! I told the manager that I wanted a new room because of the smell. He proceeded to tell me that what he was now going to give me was his LAST room. We went up to that room and it seemed a lot better and we put our bags in it and went to dinner. When we returned I found a ziploc bag of cookies and bread on the top of the tv cabinet...it WASN'T ours. At this time I was exhausted and just put it in the trash. About 12:00 the neighbors started making a lot of noise and wouldn't quiet down, so a call to the front desk. I was told that it would be taken care of by them. Well, I didn't expect the front desk to call them and tell them that the neighbors were complaining about the noise. My then load neighbors then began kicking the wall and screaming to make sure that we really heard them. I was really scared for my family that these crazy people were going to do something to us! When I addressed the front desk with all the problems that we had during our short stay I was basically given the middle finger by the manager and told he didn't care if I posted a bad review about the hotel....so, take it from me, stay somewhere else that is clean and friendly. Oh, and a hotel that told me that me not calling several more times about the noise was, "MY PROBLEM" that the people next door to us couldn't have been kicked out! GREAT!

3 Thank LaxMomX2
Roselle, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

We booked here for 2 nights. When we came in for an early check in , the staff was very helpful and friendly. Parking was a bit small and must navigate carefully to avoid hitting parked cars. The room was nice and clean except for a few pieces of dog food that was on the floor left by the previous occupants. The beachfront location had a very nice view of the Island and bridge. The free breakfast was good and had lots of selections but you have to be there early in order to avoid the crowd. The place was a litttle pricy though but our stay was nice and comfortable.
One thing that has to be done though and implemented is to have guest with dogs clean after their pets. There was quite a bit of dog poop behind the hotel by the beachfront. . Guest should be reminded that this is a must...

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Princeton, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

This hotel is a dump. Let me go through my experience in order: Dirty employees, dirty buildings, dirty front door, incredibly dirty room, dirty bed, don't tough the bathroom faucets, why is there carpeting on the shelves?, dirty little cheap refrigerator, good Lord this is scary, must we stay here?, good night Honey. The only thing that was clean and healthy were the bugs in the bed.

Next morning - walk to breakfast area, good gosh is the the dining room or the restroom?, guests were born in barns from the looks of the tables and carpet, I wouldn't eat that Honey, let's go out for breakfast.

Afternoon - let's go to the pool. Arrive at pool. Look at pool. Leave pool area immediately. Still dry.

Later that afternoon - walk to the beach, the ground looked like Haiti (and not in a good way). Are those sewage pipes? What's that garbage in the water - this is a swamp, not a lake. If the sand in the website photos were golden and immaculate, why are they black and weedy now? Let's go back to the room.

That night, trying to shower - Oh look, someone's old towel hung on the rod, it that considered an extra towel? Ooh, extra hair.

Room Tip: Stay away, far away.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Diego M
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed one night in a king room with balcony and lake view. This motel is a collection of buidlings built at different times--some quite a bit older than the one we stayed in, so our experience might not be reflective of what you would expect in the other buildings. The room was clean although showing some wear and tear. The bed was fine, and view over the lake from the balcony was very pleasant. There is a bit of sand beach, but there is also a strech of the swampy dune-grass between the hotel and the water, so if you really want to be laying out on the beach, this might not be the place for you. The breakfast buffet offers made to order waffles as welll as the ususal steam table choices. The free wireless was very slow in the afternoon and evening--probably not enough bandwidth to meet demand, since it was much faster at 6:00 am.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple