“Great affordable motel!”

Lighthouse View Motel
Michigan
“Great affordable motel!”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed at this motel for 3 nights and enjoyed it immensely. The rooms are a little small for 4 people but are very clean and well kept. The bathroom was immaculate. This hotel is a few blocks from main street and just across the street from a park and the bridge. Nice views, quiet location, and a nice break from the usual hustle and bustle. The pool house and hot tub were wonderful! They are well maintained and very clean.

Room Tip: We had a second floor room and they were easily accessible. The ground floor rooms didnt seem to hav...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank davisck5014
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Mid-Michigan
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My wife and I are frequent viitors of the Mackinaw area. We have stayed at three different places on the mainland and Lighthouse View Motel has by far been our most visited (more than a dozen times is a conservative guess). While it is not a 5-star facility, it is my pick for the biggest bang for the buck for any facility in the area. The rates are some of the best--others can easily be twice as much. We regularly go during off season around our anniversary; school has begun and the only people visiting are adults.

It is a great locale if you wish to tour parts of the U.P. It is near the Mackinac Bridge for easy access to expressway and is directly across the street from a spectacular view of the Mackinac Bridge (bring your camera!). If you are looking to do a day trip to Mackinac Island it is a piece of cake as ferry docks are just a few blocks away.

The motel itself has a variety of rooms--ground floor, second floor, hot tub/sauna, north facing toward water and bridge, etc.--all I would classify as basic. If you're requiring spectacular views from your room, look elsewhere. The catagories they use for the kind of view, while technically true, to some people it may seem a bit of a stretch for some of the rooms. However, if you're requiring a reasonable place to stay at a wallet friendly price, this is it. For a motel, they have a VERY nice indoor pool with attached hot tub. Some HOTELS don't have a pool space as nice as this one.

I gave this facility 4 stars, not so much for the quality of the room itself, but for everything it offers with price being the biggest factor compared to what you could be spending elsewhere.

In short, we would not return to Lighthouse View Motel if we didn't think it was a value.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Avoid the "splurge" of selecting a room based on it's view description, as there isn...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MichiganPhotoRod
Decatur, Illinois
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This little gem of a place came very highly recommended, so I need to pass it on. For $59 a night, you are about 5 minute, tops, walk from all the fun of Mackinaw City, and the Ferry dock to MACKINAC! You also are directly across the street from the water and a lovely little light house (which I did not tour, but I hear can be fun, next time). And yes, lovely clean rooms, coffee, decent cable channels (not that you want to spend any time when you are there watching TV), great water pressure in the shower, a very courteous cleaning staff, and I need to share about Rick, the owner, and his lovely wife. My friend and I took a Greyhound there and we were picked up and driven there by them. This is above and beyond in my opinion. Now it is only, like I said, a tiny walk, but with luggage could be cumbersome, and the evening we arrived we were tired I did not know how to find the place, and they came out to get us at 10:30 at night.....just lovely people! Stay there whenever you can and tell your friends the same......

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mavissav
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I have been travelling a lot in the past two or three years with my mom so that we can do a lot while we are both at an easier age to travel (23&48). We live in southern Michigan but I have been used to being dragged all around the state my whole life so I've been to Mackinac lots of times. We always camped everywhere with our family, so I had no idea where to go for a hotel.

Last fourth of July, I took my mom to Mackinac and beforehand had called quite a few hotels in the area to ask about pricing. I wanted to stay close to the bridge and found that this hotel was probably the closest. And the cheapest. We received a AAA discount (they have aarp also) and even for the holiday was very cheap. They had a clean indoor pool/spa (would be nice if there was more airflow from outside in the summer-gets humid). The place is privately owned but it is quaint and lovely. The only problem we had was the small parking lot in the front - it gets very congested, but it is also quite old. Not difficult if you're patient. The other thing was that we are smokers and didn't have a chair to sit on outside of our room as we were at the end of the halls and when I would take one chair (every room had two) from the neighbor, they would steal it back even though they didn't use them.. I think there should be at least one for the end rooms.

Overall, it was GREAT. The hotel, like everyone noted, is directly across from Lighthouse Point and my mom and I walked down to the shoreline every night and watched the sun set and took pictures or read. Like the times on vacation when you take breaks to sit and read in the room, we could take our books to the water and it was warm and beautiful. The bridge store/museum and fort michillimackinac (sp) is a short short walk from the hotel as well.

Very family friendly place

Room Tip: Get a ground floor if you don't walk much. After walking on the tours and through the city and o...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We arrived late in the evening and inquired about their vacancy. For a couple, one night was less than $60. The motel is and older building but well carried for. We stayed the night and were completely satisfied. They had wi-fi that worked as well as other motels we stayed in. They don't offer a continental breakfast, but had a coffee maker in the room. With the low rate we easily bought breakfast down the road. The pool was clean as well as the spa/hot tube. What's great about this place is the location. It's across the street from the Lighthouse, bridge, fort and park that connects all three. We had great stroll along the lake edge. The motel is privately owned and the owner lives on the property.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family