“The Best!”

Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 16
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: Specializing in Great Lakes fish including whitefish, perch and walleye. Lightly battered and fried in a canola corn oil. Zero cholesterol and zero trans-fats. We also offer chicken tenders and array of sandwiches. Our chowder is homemade and prepared New England style. Kids menu, outside dining, groups welcome. Take a bite out of the great lakes.
Allen Park, Michigan
“The Best!”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Truly the best deep fried whitefish in Mackinaw City. I love this place and visit everytime I'm staying in Mackinaw or just passing through. Love the inexpensive Scalawag's hats too!! Expect to wait in line and seating is limited.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank William J
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Warren, Michigan, United States
“Best whitefish i have ever ate”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

this was hands down the best white fish i have ever eaten, nicely seasoned and flaky and the fries are awesome. staff was really nice and the atmosphere was very nice.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank Richard C
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Best tartar sauce ever!”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We go to Scalawags every summer that we visit Mackinaw. It has a nice casual family atmosphere with Maritime feel to it. The whitefish is tasty, they have the best tartar sauce I have ever had, creamy & yummalicious clam chowder and patio dining available for people watching.

3 Thank Muddychick123
Clarkston, Michigan
“Awesome Whitefish”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I stumbled across this restaurant on our way up to the UP which we go to our cabin several times per year. It was great!!! My wife couldn't stop talking about how good the fish was. We are definitely going to frequent this restaurant. Can't wait till they open again in the spring. I can't believe that we had been driving past for all these years. Only downside is that parking can be difficult in the peak summer travel times.

2 Thank HMS88
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Food still good-friendliness and service oriented skills lacking”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Stopped here for a late lunch on the first Friday in October. Was in town for the Fall Bridge Run on that Saturday and though I would eat some fresh fish at one of my favorite stops. Nobody in line so I assumed it would be a quick order placement and then get my food right away. Upon ordering, I though I had been overcharged so when I inquired I was rudely answered with "it is correct as the cheese is extra"....ok, missed that on the sign. However, when ordering the Whitefish sandwich they ask "what type of cheese would you like on that?" That would lead one to believe it comes with chhese. Not that it is an extra charge for the item. Ok, my bad but being rude set me in a foul mood. I sat down and justt reminded myself how good the food would be. I waited....and waited.....and then looked around at the 3 tables that were seated near me and noticed that NONE of them had their food yet. Not a good sign as I was last in this particular rodeo. They brought out one table, then another, then.....mine! Which was fine for me but not for the family who had placed their order before me. Food delivered with a not very friendly look and then I was off to scramble for condiments as my table mysteriously didn't have any. Food was so-so as by this time I wish I had gone elsewhere. I had read a recent review about the service and had wondered to myself how the service could be poor when you order it yourself at the register....I found out for myself. Won't make this a must stop the next time I am in town.

• Visited October 2011