“Destination whitefish”

Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 16
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Specializing in Great Lakes fish including whitefish, perch and walleye. Lightly battered and fried in a canola corn oil. Zero cholesterol and zero trans-fats. We also offer chicken tenders and array of sandwiches. Our chowder is homemade and prepared New England style. Kids menu, outside dining, groups welcome. Take a bite out of the great lakes.
Byron Center, MI
“Destination whitefish”
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We visit Mackinaw City at least once a year, and Scalawag's is our go-to restaurant for excellent whitefish. The baskets come with thin-cut french fries, hushpuppys and coleslaw. Very tasty.

1 Thank SummerTyme08
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Shell Lake, WI
“Best Whitefish ever”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I love Scalawags!! The Whitefish is delicious. The prices are reasonable. You can eat outside on a sidewalk cafe setting. It is very informal and your dog can be at your side and not have to wait in the car!! I eat there every time I visit Mackinaw City and have enjoyed it every time. Good food, great setting, friendly service, great prices!!

1 Thank chewbdu
Shelby Township, MI
“Best Whitefish Sandwich, Also good quality chicken basket for kids”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I ate and enjoyed whitefish every day on a five day trip up north, and Scalawag's fish was the best fried version I tasted.

I was also very happy with the chicken baskets my daughters ordered. You know how the food on kid's menus very often looks like something out of a freezer box? The chicken on the kid's menu at Scalawag's seemed very fresh and my daughters loved it!

• Visited July 2011
Bay City, Michigan
“One Of Our Favorite Stops”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Great tasting whitefish, hush-puppies and fries. Our daughter tried the Whitefish Chowder and said it was really good. I don't usually use tarter sauce on my fish, but theirs is quite tasty, not "pickley". They have an outside dining area in addition to an inside dining area, which makes it nice for us because we can have our dogs while dining on delicious whitefish. When traveling to the U.P. we usually stop here either on our way up or down or sometimes both;)

• Visited August 2011
Bay City, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,400 helpful votes
“Why have we not eaten here before????......”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We needed a quick lunch and got it here. Small dining area inside and outside. You line up out the door (it is very popular), give your order, pay and then wait for them to call out your number and they will bring it out to you at your table. They will ask if you are eating inside or outside. We chose to eat inside. Yes it is fried fish. Very good fried fish. This is a fast food type restaurant and you have limited choices on the entire menu and the way they cook it. If you don't like fried, then don't bother eating here.

I thought the fish/fries/cole slaw excellent, as did my DH. We ordered the whitefish. We were completely happy with our choice. The service was very friendly, the place was cleaned up quickly after diners finished, and the bathroom-well-could have used some help on clean up. I reported that to the staff person working the dining room. The decor is nautical, obviously, and is a cute place. Couple of booths, the rest tables. Location is excellent. Parking-good luck.

1 Thank tymetraveler222