“clean and comfortable”
Review of Pontiac Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Pontiac Lodge
Warren, Michigan
“clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Pontiac Lodge is a hidden gem. The rooms are clean, comfortable and afforable. I have stayed here several times and all of the rooms are unique. The Lodge is well maintained and in a very convenient location downtown. I would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wildside2
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This hotel is only a block or so from Star Lines ferry; so it is easy to schlep small suitcases one block over to the lodge and up one flight of stairs. The Pontiac is also on Main street, also the main drag on Mackinac. Note that whether it is spelled Mackinac [fr] or Mackinaw [en] the pronunciation is always "Mackinaw". Prices were reasonable for a destination hotel/motel. This place is not fancy, but is clean. There was cable TV and other minor amenities. The help was courteous.

There is no restaurant associated with the Pontiac, but there are numerous places to eat within a two minute walk.

If I had more time before the trip, I would have checked out the pricing of some very nice B&Bs on Market St., one street up the hill from Main St..

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I was looking for a place to celebrate my 40th birthday and Mackinac Island was my number one choice. I looked for places that weren't off the charts in regards to price and the Pontiac Lodge fit the budget. Overall I was very pleased. Upon check in I was welcomed to the lodge by a very friendly person. I don't recall her name but she was very nice. The hotel was what I expected due to the reviews I read, it was older but clean. The location was fantastic. I really couldn't ask for a better location on the island. Everything was in walking distance including the Grand Hotel.

I was a little disappointed in the length of time it took to get my room served each day but I realize they have 10 rooms to clean and they have to turn them around for the incoming guests at 3pm, so if you are staying for more than a night, you will probably be the last room to get serviced. It was a big problem, I had plenty of towels, everything in the room worked so I can't really complain. I'm just pointing it out.

If you don't mind an older hotel that is clean then I highly recommend the Pontiac Lodge. It's no frills but clean and friendly. Save yourself the money the other hotels are charging so you have more money to spend on the glorious fudge they sell on the island.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank dlabrake
Ohio
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed at the lodge for two nights. It's an older facility and isn't fancy, but it has been generally well maintained and our room (the Ojibway) had the nice touches of a wet bar, microwave and mini-fridge. It also had a nice (albeit limited) view of the lake, between a couple of the taller buildings on the other side of Main Street on the south side of the island. There is no pool, no breakfast, and no lobby or other central place for gathering or relaxing.

The bedding and room were mostly clean but not immaculate. One of the windows was left slightly open and we had a tough time shutting it, which was likely the reason there were a few flies in the room. This was an annoyance, but a minor one. The room showed its age in some respects, but the mattresses were newer and comfortable, the air conditioning worked well, and we had no problems with noise even though the other rooms were all occupied and the place is located on the second floor of a building situated right on Main Street in the heart of the island's "downtown" area.

The Pontiac suited our needs well and given its central and extremely convenient location (right across the street from the Shepler ferry dock) and the fact that we were visiting in mid-August, we got a tremendous deal ($140 for the first night and a special promo rate through the Pontiac website of $70 for the second night). For essentially $105 per night, it was on par with what we paid for lodging in much less densely traversed areas (and less nice places) the other nights of our vacation.

Also worth mentioning is that we checked out of the hotel in the morning but didn't leave the island until mid-afternoon. In the interim, the Pontiac staff kindly agreed to allow us to keep our bags and other travel accoutrements in the office - which was appreciated because, as with most of the rest of the lodge, space in the office was quite limited. So the service was another plus. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Clean with good location. Older establishment with all rooms above a main street store by way of side building stairway. . No lounge, pool or continental breakfast, but we just wanted a place to sleep and that was fine with us.If you want these extras you will need to go elsewhere for about $25.00 more per night . Our vacation was for touring the island, not staying hours on end in a hotel. You will have to decide if the $25.00 extra is for you. If our room had been a little more expensive, then we probably would have looked other places and considered what you get for the difference in price. Our overall experience was Excellent. We got exactly what we paid for. The bed could have been better. I slept good, but my wife said she rolled toward the middle to much............it should be replaced. You can view the rooms on the hotel online website. Thank you Pontiac Lodge!

Room Tip: When picking a room...view online photos through hotel website