“Lovely place, lovely people”

The Inn at Stonecliffe
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Houston, Texas
“Lovely place, lovely people”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

The main house is an old mansion, and the rooms are lovely, The rooms with a harbor view cost more, but tree top views from the others are equally serene. The back porch and back yard offer lovely places to just sit and relax. The breakfasts were lovely, especially when enjoyed out doors. Walk to the far end of the back yard and you are on your own planet, just you and the gulls, the grass and the trees.

While not related to the hotel, the best choice I made during my trip was a bicycle ride around the outer edge of the island. It was lovely and not difficult, as the route is relatively level. It is 8 miles, and there are restrooms at about the half way point. Take a camera and a water bottle.

There was a wedding at Stonecliffe on the Saturday of my stay, and I understand that this is usually true. That meant a party tent with a band, so that music (or noise, depending on your taste) filled the house and grounds until 10 pm. Zoning ordinances require quiet after 10. Plan accordingly.

Room Tip: Reserve early and get a cheap room in the main house. The cheaper rooms have lovely views, just...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Libertyville
Reviewed 9 August 2012

.......if you don;t want to be in the middle of all the hub-bub in town. The Manor house is a truly unique experience, provided it is not too hot. (na A/C). Look for rate deals online or by subscribing to their email newsletter. Best rates and experiences are when things are a little slower.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
chicago
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed here for one night. The low rating of my review is mostly a function of a discrepancy for me between the cost of staying here compared to other properties and the services and amenities provided. That relationship was off for me. I felt the actual historical part of the Inn is very beautiful. The setting is stunning. I liked the fact that it was far out of town, but could see how this might be an issue if you stay for several days as the cost of transportation one-way to town is $ 6.75. We actually had the boat and buggy package which included one roundtrip buggy ride and the ferry roundtrip. I liked that the hotel is in walking distance to the Woods Restaurant where we had a wonderful meal. I did not care that much for our room. We stayed in the summer house (which provides AC) which is in a new annex. I had hoped for a king size room which we did not get due to a misunderstanding. I tried to speak with a desk person about this, but did not get far as the hotel was fully booked. This somewhat ruined my trip. Not so much that the room was not available, but how it was handled. No sense about the hotel trying to do anything about my disappointment. I actually thought that the woman who handled the issue was cold and unfriendly and more preoccupied with a wedding that was being handled. That is actually another concern. The weekend we were there, there were three different weddings (one each day). This seems to take over the inn which can be annoying. I was glad I could not hear anything at night (weddings have to be shut down by around 10:30 PM because of noise ordinances). The room we stayed in in the summer house came with two queen beds. It was a large suite with separate sitting area and a little wet bar with fridge. Balcony with somewhat of a lake view. I felt the decor was more akin to a Holiday Inn than a fancy manor hotel. The amenities were very basic. The bathroom looked like a Holiday Inn bathroom and was basic. TV in the room was small and an old-fashioned chunky box. The room was very clean, but not very personal and by no means what I would consider luxurious. (We stayed in a bed and breakfast in the area (on the mainland) that was half the price and was truly luxurious including fireplace and jacuzzi) and in a beautiful mansion). We also had some trouble with the ferry and buggy package because we ended up on the wrong ferry company and so they had no booking for us and we had to pay $ 45.00 for the ferry which was to be reimbursed by the Inn. The woman at the desk offered to reimburse us $ 40.00 because they have a special rate with the other ferry company that we were supposed to take. I appreciated their reimbursing most of the cost, but felt frustrated about how the interaction was handled. Of course, it was our fault that we took the wrong ferry, but this was not as obvious as the Innkeeper tried to make it. If you have this package and plan to board in Mackinaw City, better ascertain you are at the right ferry dock. We did not see the ferry we were supposed to take adequately signed and thus ended up at the wrong dock. Since the boat left at the same time and since the dock staff had ready-made Stonecliff luggage tags, I had wrongly assumed I was on the correct ferry. It was quite annoying. I liked the fact that the Inn had breakfast included. But the breakfast was pretty basic. Scrambeled eggs (with and without mushrooms), potatoes, sausage, bagels, cereal, yoghurt, and fresh fruit (not cut up). I have to admit - better than nothing, but then again given the price of the hotel one might expect just a little more. Not sure about the restaurant at the INN. Did not have a meal there. Was looking to have a drink at the Inn, but the bar did not open until 5:00 PM. Tried to check out a little later than 11:00 AM, the next morning. The response was simply a "No" without any attempt at saying "Sorry, it is not possible." These are just little concerns, but a hotel that charges what this inn charges should have a better customer service experience. Another concern was room noise in the annex. We stayed in room 2208 and could hear everything from the room above. The floors were creaking when they walked upstairs (no sure why as this is a new construction) and there was a terrible rattling sound coming from the AC grates in the ceiling whenever the person upstairs walked in that area. This woke us up in the morning. Walls seems to be quite thin here. Finally, another thing that left a bad taste for me was the buggy driver. We had just arrived on the island and explained that we were on a package and the ride was included (we did not have the coupons). There were other people in our buggy with similar arrangement. All the buggy driver could do was complain that now he had to wait for us to get the coupon once we arrive at the inn. He was not a hotel staff and so this is not the Inn's fault, but I felt that Mackinaw Island Tourism could do a better job at training their staff for tourism so not to present to toursist as grumpy and inconvenienced.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank danielswiss64
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Just came back from this Inn - the accomodations were outstanding - perfect view of the Mackinaw Bridge from our room. Off of the beaten path and away from the hoards of visitors but close enough to town to take a horse drawn carriage, hop on a bike or even just walk to town. Breakfast buffet was perfect, but the dinners are the crowning glory of the place. Had the most outstanding salmon, my husband, the fillet. The Chef there is awesome, although ALL of the staff there is awesome - the most helpful hotel staff I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I would stay here before the Grand Hotel anyday.

Room Tip: Stay in the main Manor for a old fashion, antique experience or in the more modern, newer cottages j...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2012 via mobile

We have on the island before and decided to try a hotel farther away from the downtown area. The rooms were spacious and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Stonecliffe's charm matched the relaxed atmosphere of the Island. Town is only 1.5 miles. A pleasant walk or bike ride.

• Stayed July 2012