“Old School”

Canton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Old School”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

They still make the burgers the way they did when they first open 60 years ago. they are awesome

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Fay F
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Topeka, KS
“Glad we stopped by and had a great time w the locals!”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This place is like a hidden gem in Michigan. The burger, food, and staff were all great! This made our business trip fun and we would definitely go back! Why hasn't this place been on diners and drives on the food network! The average price definitely isn't $20 it was more like two dollars a hamburger.

Lansing, Michigan
“Slider Heaven”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Every time I'm back in town a trip to Bates is mandatory. Pick up a 6 pack of cheeseburgers and some fries and you cant go wrong for about 10 bucks!

Fort Myers, Florida
“Bates-A life long love affair”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Bates Hamburgers is the most incredible family owned independent hamburger place. I use the term "place" because in my opinion, it's not formal enough to be categorized as a restaurant yet not dingy enough to be called a "joint".

Let me start by saying the following, this review is as much about my 40+ years of going to Bates as it is about the most recent visit. Bates is all about doing one thing and doing it right. They make burgers and fries, and do it in a way that can't be replicated.

I grew up on Bates. Now as 47 year old adult who has moved away from LIvonia, I get excited every time I return so that I can call ahead and order my Bates (734-427-3464). If I'm eating solo the order goes something like this....
4 hamburgers with everything and 1 large order of fries, extra crispy. If I'm en route to visiting family the order gets turned up to 20 hamburgers with everything and 5 large fries extra crispy.

Bates is a multi sensory experience that needs to be experience first hand to truly appreciate.

You need to see the building, both outside and inside. You need to experience the visual process of making the burgers. You need to breath in the aroma that is Bates.

Not until you have done that in person are you worthy to take your first bite of a Bates Hamburger.

I am passionate about Bates. Most of my family and friends are too. Those that don't share my passion are those that chose not experience life's little hidden treasures and chose instead to walk down the path that is far more traveled. This is not "Corporate America". This is "Mom and Pop" at it's finest.

Enjoy. Tell them Frank sent you.
p.s. I'm really getting into this "Trip Advisor" thing. So if you enjoyed the above read, please click "helpful". Thanks.

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank FrankInSWFla
“I wanna Bates burger in the Burgh”
Reviewed 19 May 2011

On a road trip from Detroit to Pittsburgh we stopped at this little corner burger joint. The staff was super friendly and I ordered two sliders and ended up getting two more because they were so yummy. Would recommend to anyone. A++

• Visited May 2011