“Nice place - spacious rooms!”

Towneplace Suites Detroit Livonia
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Livonia
Columbus, Ohio
“Nice place - spacious rooms!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Booked a studio suite and was pleasantly surprised.

Had a full kitchen, nice bathroom, couch and work desk. Bed was a little hard but still comfy.

The only thing I DONT like is that you need to a key to get in the hotel. I had family coming to visit and had to meet each one of them at the door to let them into the building.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank prettipinkprincess
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

Nice hotel near where I needed for work and had wide selection of restaurants nearby. The room was good condition but showed some age since last remodel but not bad.

The bed was very firm and almost UN-sleepable for me but if you like it firm it may be ok for you.

Staff was friendly

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MWR4114
Dearborn, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

My title says everything. The staff is amazing. They are always smiling. From the people in the reception to the people that cleans the rooms.

However, the room was dirty when I got there. The coffee machine never got to work well, there where breadcrumbs in the shelfs. No information of Detroit at all over my desk. So that was pretty messy.

But apart from that, it's a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank dechavezm
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

It really bothers me that I cant speak as highly of this visit as I did in my previous review, but here it goes...

As always, when we came back to Michigan for a weekend visit, I chose to stay at the TownePlace Suites in Livonia. To fully be able to enjoy all that my favorite place to visit has to offer, I decided to get a 2 bedroom suite for my son and me. Though I paid double what I normally do for a suite there, it was definitely worth it, and lived up to my expectations.

There was a tv in each bedroom, along with a bigger one in the living room. Vents in each room as well, which was great so I could block off some of the air going into my son's room (I like it really cold!). The "master bedroom" was very spacious and had a desk & chair in there as well (the dining room table was also a good size and suitable for those there for business purposes). The beds were clean and super comfy, and it still had the full kitchen, pull out sofa, and everything else offered in a single suite.

Originally, I was told the room was only available for one night. Not a big deal since I technically didnt NEED 2 bedrooms, I just wanted to check it out. I figured we could switch to a single suite for our second night there. Im not sure what happened, but before time to check out, a new girl, Nicole (very cool, btw), called and informed me we could stay another night in the room if we wanted to. Though I kind of didnt want to shell out the money to stay in there another night, I loved the room a lot and it saved me the hassle of packing our things back up, getting another room to haul our things to, getting situated again, and so on. It ended up working out great though, since I brought my mother back that 2nd night to stay with us. I had my own room and my son slept with his grammy!

The next day is when my pleasant experience went completely down the drain. I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia, and because of these two chronic illnesses, im bound to have whats called a "flare" at any given time. Well, hanging out and visiting friends/family Saturday, I apparently over did it and brought on a flare. Though I took my prescribed pain medication, including ones for breakthrough pain, it was extremely hard to get moving. Days like this, even a shower can be painful & completely wipe me out. I informed the lady at the front desk of this and that I would need a late check out. She gave me until 2pm. My mother and my son had cleaned the room, gotten ready, packed everything up for me, etc. It was just a matter of getting me up and moving. When I called the front desk again to tell the lady there's no way I could be ready by 2 on the dot, she informed me I would be charged. I've paid a $25 late check out fee elsewhere, so no biggie... I mean, what other choice did I have? I couldn't automatically tell my body to stop working against me so I wouldnt check out late!

About an hour later, I was able to get up and head out. I go to the front desk to turn my keys in and pay the late fee. That's when I basically had sticker shock from finding out the fee was HALF of the daily rate for the room!!! Using roomsavers, I only pay $60+ tax for one night, however half the price of the double was over $70 bucks! I could have gotten another room for the rest of the day and another whole night for the price I paid to check out hours late!!! I know hotels have their own rules and everything, but as a Rewards Member and someone who has stayed there 9-10+ times this year alone, I truly felt like I was sh!tted on. No exception whatsoever, disability or not. For my loyalty the past 2 years, I didnt expect to get taken like that... Again, that's more than the cost for an entire stay in a different room!

We are planning another trip to MI mid-October and I highly doubt we will stay there this time after that. Maybe we'll try the Courtyard Marriott since I can get the same deal there. I just havent been able to get over this situation. I have friends or family to stay with when we visit, but I choose to stay at the TownePlace Suites instead. Maybe it's my fault for thinking being a MRM and loyal so long would matter in a situation like this. Maybe I shouldn't have taken the time to get the know the staff, especially since there aren't that many familiar places there anymore (even though the girl who checked us out WAS one and has seen my son & I plenty of times before). I guess I should treat it like just any ole other place we lay our heads and NOT a home away from home.

I will still say, the place is quiet, safe, CLEAN, and comfortable. Just dont expect empathy or to stick to your budget if something unforeseen happens :(

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

This was my second visit to this location and both times have been great. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. I believe Ed was the name of the gentleman who checked us in. He was so friendly and very helpful as my boyfriend and I arrived around 2:00am. My flight was delayed and I was tired, Ed checked us in right away and was EXTREMELY generous to us. The rooms are great here, nice size refrigerator, full kitchen stacked well if you want to make a few meals during your stay. We didn't get a chance to enjoy any of the breakfast, but hopefully during my next stay we can. I understand they are going to be upgrading the TV's, and this will be a nice bonus for my next visit as well. My boyfriend and I will definitely be back for my next visit in January/ February.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators