“Not so good”

Ranked #12 of 78 Restaurants in Lincoln Park
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Since the new owners took over the food has gone downhill and the service is slow. I’m sorry to say we won’t be returning.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

I never thought to review this place although the food is really good. They no longer have a liquor license which could be a deal breaker for some people. They had a fire a few years ago and closed for quite sometime. We really missed them while they were closed. Never found a good Chinese replacement so we were glad they reopened. The place really needed a make over and they took advantage of the fire. Opened back up and it was clean and modern. Food has always been consistently really good with great service.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

I ordered from there at 8:30 pm (an hour before closing) 3 things: General Tso's Chicken, Mongolian Chicken, and Teriyaki Chicken. The last two were not at all what I know they are. First look like the same, and second they looked and tasted just like chop suey... I have been eating Chinese and Japanese for more than 10 years and I know the difference: all kind of veggies in the mongolian and no green onion???
Teriyaki with veggies and no sweet thick dark sauce??? when I called back to the restaurant to figure out what happened the person on the phone dared to say that they were right and just slightly different??!!!!!
Only good thing was a fast deliver (less than 20 min) but makes me wonder if it was just because they sent me whatever they have left ove the counter....

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 29 June 2017

My family has been going to Cathay House for 40 years. It has recently changed owners, and upon entering, there were a lot of changes. Much brighter dining room (which I think is a plus), but there was a table of dirty dishes there when we were seated that wasn't cleaned up for 10+ minutes (despite there being only our table and one other seated - they weren't very busy). Also a small child's toys were in one corner, and the child was in/out of the kitchen (see picture). The service was average at best. To be honest, we discussed just leaving without ordering food.

I'm glad we stuck it out. The food was as good as we remember it, despite changes in ownership, etc. The egg drop soup is thick and flavorful - easily one of the best I've had. Their egg rolls ARE the best I've had, filled with bean sprouts and a few tiny shrimp (compared to the cabbage egg rolls at most places). Our party ordered the Almond Chicken, General Tso's Chicken, and the Woo Dip Harr - and everyone thought their dish was as good as they remembered it being (and better than the other Chinese restaurants in the area). The coffee wasn't very good, but I had low expectations on that front.

Based on the service and the environment, I wouldn't be keen on dining in again (and certainly wouldn't bring a date). But I would absolutely order "to go", as the food was really good. I'd give the food 5 stars, and the service 2 or 3 (but didn't want to average this out to a 3 star, because you really should try the food!)

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 27 June 2017

We had not been there in a long time ! We were so surprise about remodeling they had done! Room is beautiful !We had Orange Chicken and shrimp fried rice! Every thing was delicious and a lot for the price! I always love their egg rolls ! They are my favorite! W

Date of visit: June 2017