“Great Brinch”
Review of The Creole

The Creole
Ranked #12 of 505 Restaurants in Lansing
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Restaurant served a great brunch. Very friendly place. Good service! Three of us had a very enjoyable outing!

Reviewed 24 September 2017

Discovered this in Old Town and thought I would give it a try. Brunch dish was simple and cold and fairly pricey for level of ingredients. Has outside seating which is probably best characteristic.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

I went here on a first date recently and was not disappointed!

Personally, I'm not a fan of creole cuisine, but I was pleasantly surprised at the selection of food. We started off with the goat cheese truffles. These were just ok. The taste wasn't what I was expecting, and eating six cheese balls between two people can fill you up fast.

Next up was the gumbo, which was absolutely amazing! I could have eaten just that all night and been perfectly content.

For my entrée I chose the pork tenderloin with pickled onions. Aside from the pickled onions (not my thing) it was delicious. Pork was really savory and cooked perfectly. My date had the roasted chicken, which must have been good because there wasn't much left when she was done.

Our server was very polite and was always checking in on us to make sure we were ok.

All in all it was a very pleasant experience. As a designer, I love their logo. I do think they could do a little creative redecorating to maybe dress it up a bit more, but that's a personal opinion as a creative professional.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

My husband and I tried The Creole for the first time and had a delightful lunch. We sat outside on a beautiful day. I had the salmon gravlax and my husband had the fried chicken biscuit. We both enjoyed our meals. The atmosphere was relaxing and service was friendly, albeit a bit slow for a lunch on a work day. The menu is a bit limited, but I do think it is better to specialize in a few dishes rather than to have nothing on your menu that you make particularly well. We will certainly return.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

In February of 2016, I wrote a glowing review of this restaurant. My husband and I have been meaning to return, and just did so as a treat for two of our dear friends. This proved to be a terrible decision, as our experience was 180 degrees different than our first. There was a street fair in Lansing, so the tables outside were crowded, but that doesn't explain the service inside. It was clear that there was confusion among the staff as we had several different people serving our table and they didn't seem to coordinate their efforts. Our friends said the oysters were good, but my husband and I opted to share the salmon pastrami for a starter. For $14, the lox-style salmon had absolutely no spice. I pointed out to our server that it was supposed to have a 6-spice rub, and had zero. He stared blankly and simply said, "O.K." He never offered to replace the dish or subtract it from our bill.

My friend and I both ordered specialty cocktails, and half an hour later, were told there were no limes so they couldn't make them. Later, when we were trying to order different drinks, we were told there was a full bar, but when I asked about frozen drinks, we were told they don't do those. Although the server was accommodating when bringing a couple of tastes of wine for us to try, he brought me a mixed drink that--despite me asking that it be weak--was incredibly strong. Ultimately, limes arrived, and I was able to have a Mojito, but by then, I was almost done with my entree.

My husband enjoyed his lamb and our friend liked his filet. Our other friend had the quinoa which was o.k., but nothing special. I ordered the diver scallops. For $36, I got 3 scallops in a creamed corn/vanilla sauce, and the entire dish was cold. At this point, I was starving, so I just ate it without asking that it be reheated. We didn't stay for dessert.

For 4 of us, after tip, the meal cost about $230. This was outrageous for the quality and quantity of food and extremely uneven service. We will not return and I can no longer recommend this restaurant.

2  Thank JoMich