“Good Food and a Good Performance”

Ukai Hibachi Grill and Sushi Bar
Ranked #34 of 461 Restaurants in Lansing
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Ukai Hibachi Grill and Sushi Bar is a casual yet unique experience. Join us for a memorable experience where dishes are prepared at your table by our expert Hibachi chefs, with only the finest in steak, chicken and seafood entrees. If you prefer sushi we have ten tables, a sushi bar and a full service bar up front dedicated to just that. Check out our signature drinks and seasonal specials. Hibachi is not offered Monday - Friday during lunch hours.
Reviewed 29 June 2017

My wife and I are always up for teppanyaki, and whenever we get to Lansing, we try to make time to stop in here. We've probably eaten here six or seven times over the past few years, and we've always been very pleased with the food and the service.

My wife usually orders a filet mignon-lobster combo and I usually get one with shrimp and scallops. The chefs put on a good show with all the standard jokes and tricks: shrimp tossing, onion volcanos, eggs in the hat, the steam locomotive, etc. Once we had a band-new chef who was just starting out and he was fun to watch too as he bungled one trick after another.

The dinners come with miso soup, a small shrimp appetizer, a salad (the ginger dressing is good), rice (or fried rice or noodles), tea, and a shot of plum wine or a small bowl of ice cream. For $20-30 per person, I think that's a pretty good deal.

Oh, I can't tell you anything about the sushi; we never order it.

There are several nearby hotels within walking distance so it can sometimes be a little crowded even if the parking lot doesn't look full.

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed the evening however there were some things that could improve the whole deal. The waiter was on a slow side a bit, the food was not bad (although I had better before) but the main thing was that the hibachi cook did not perform with enthusiasm like many others do. I felt the routine in his performance so there was not much asded value - for which you visit a hibachi restaurant.

Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

Great sushi, great sushi man, but the waiter that took care of us was rude and not helpful at all. I ordered two Rolls which is incredible,
Two orders of nigiri and a white tuna tataki. The sushi man gave us regular tuna instead of white tuna because it's more expensive and he said
It was a special tonight so he gave us regular tuna instead of white tuna. But I told him I like the white one instead so he made another one for us.
Love him! So I gave the waiter 10% tips but gave the sushi man $5 which the total came out of around 20%, I just don't feel like to give more tips to the rude waiter, meh! I would give a five stars if not because the rude waiter. The restaurant deserves five stars but the waiter deserves one star so I will give four stars because of the rude waiter. Hope the management read this and give him a warning.

Reviewed 2 May 2017

The welcome, atmosphere, service, and food was terrific. We'll certainly go back when we're in the area.

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

Enjoyable experience! Welcoming atmosphere, friendly staff, delicious food! I ordered the Hibachi Scallops dish. Scallops were cooked perfectly! Our server was polite and very knowledgeable of the menu and attentive.