“Great coffee and place to hang”

Water Street Coffee Joint
Ranked #1 of 13 Coffee & Tea in Kalamazoo
Cuisines: American
Description: Bringing Kalamazoo house-roasted brewed coffee and espresso drinks, loose-leaf teas, shakes, smoothies, soups, salads, sandwiches, savories, and the most incredible desserts, all made by hand, in small batches with real ingredients in our own kitchen.
Reviewed 16 February 2016

I simply love this little cafe, especially the one downtown. It's the perfect place to hang and study while drinking great coffee or tea. Their pies and cakes are pretty decent too. I've never had their other food. I'd recommend both locations without hesitation.

Reviewed 20 December 2015

Have visited the Oakland Drive location several times so while returning home from the east side of the state decided to veer off I-94 to downtown and stop at Water Street to check out that location. What a mistake. Anyone travelling from I-94 into Kalamazoo from the east knows to expect a less than impressive trip, past junk yards, the jail, other less than impressive / attractive sites. Entered the coffee shop with high hopes and immediately noticed an odd odor. We called it "goat / barnyard odor." Not sure what it was, but our idea of having a great coffee in a great venue immediately change to "takeout." Décor less than expected and well, that odor. Service good, wait time normal. Cappuccino? Frankly, I've had better.

We'll continue to frequent the Oakland Drive location, thank you.

Reviewed 11 December 2015

I'm not a coffee drinker myself, but they make excellent sweet or spicy (your choice) chai tea lattes. I'm also a big fan of their cocoa del sol hot chocolate. However, their cakes and desserts have never disappointed me. My favorite thus far was their chocolate buttermilk cake. Perfect ratio of frosting to tender/moist cake. I just wish they had it again!

Reviewed 6 October 2015 via mobile

Coffee is good but they do not indicate size in ounces on the menu and being it was my first time, I was disappointed to learn that a "large" size iced coffee is served in a 16 oz hot cup.. So with the ice displacement, it's only a few sips of actual coffee... Back east --a "large" iced coffee is at least a 32 oz cold cup so this size for 3+ bucks is not great value-- would not recommend for iced coffee beverages or return.

1  Thank Wanderlust2340
Reviewed 4 October 2015

This place is best when you can sit outside but inside is good too just limited seating. Great coffee, unique and yummy treats, GELATO and fresh lunch/dinner. True cafe style and they usually display local artists. If you're in Kzoo you should definitely stop in for a tasty coffee break or causal meal.