“No Hot Water, Dirty Sheets, worst of all no AC!”

Quality Inn Hudsonville
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hudsonville
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at... No hot water for 3 days, no AC in hallways, wall paper falling off walls, moth eaten curtains you could see straight through. I contacted Choice Hotels with no response, they should be ashamed of letting this franchise stay in business. If you have a wedding at Pinnacle, don't stay here, worth the cab ride to stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank MarieHersh
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn Hudsonville

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed in July 2011. This was the 2nd time we tried this hotel in one year. First time was terrible, but chalked it up to a one time thing. 2nd time was just as bad.

Assigned room at check-in strongly smelled of smoke, but they did allow us to change. Once in the new room, turned down sheets to find obvious black stains on 6 out of 8 pillow cases, a large yellow stain (bigger than a dinner plate) and multiple smaller stains on the bedsheets. I asked for and received new, but they also were stained.

Clogged sink drain, no drain stopper in tub, I had to wash the shower curtain it stunk so bad, no fan in bathroom, had to have room keys reset twice, breakfast was less than adequate, desk clerk being gone from desk and leaving a 'Will return shortly' sign, part of door lock missing,and I could go on and on.

I realize this sounds as if I am being not picky; however, I am the opposite. I am willing to overlook a thing or two, but this was one thing after another. I would have gone elsewhere, but booked a non-refundable Internet rate.

Just glad I didn't wake up with bug bites (only reason it didn't get a '1' rating). Will be surprised if this place is still open in 5 years.

Definitely will pay the extra to stay in Holland next trip. Gave them two fair chances. Never here again.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank threesooners1
Reviewed 24 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here due to its close proximity to the reception hall for a wedding we were attending. I checked in and my room had the strongest smoke odor I've ever encountered in a hotel room. The AC was cranking so I hoped that would help lessen the smell by the time we would return from our event.

Shortly after checking in, I was getting ready for our event when I heard someone inserting a key card into our door. The door flew open and there was a staff member staring back at me. Mortified as I had JUST gotten dressed, she apologized and said she was just looking for an empty room with a king bed. She hadn't known the room had been given out yet. Maybe they should have a policy where they KNOCK first?

After our event, we returned around 1:30 am and my husband was completely disgusted as well with the odor. Since this was the first time he had been in the room, he called the front desk and asked to be moved to a new one. They refused saying they were completely booked, but could of course bring us some 'spray' and would take $10 off our room. We ended up going down the hall to my sister's room and sleeping in her extra bed. Her room smelled like a mixture of mildew/smoke too, but it was much more tolerable than ours.

The icing on the cake is when we crawled into bed, the sheets were wet! It was disgusting and it reminded me of camping. My husband went to the front desk the next morning to try to get our room paid for. We were told the best they could do for us would be to knock $60 off our $100 room. Excuse me, you're still going to make us pay for a room we didn't even sleep in???

I plan on following up during business hours to speak with a manager regarding this as it was by far one of the worse hotel experiences I've ever encountered.

Bottom line is if you're going to the Pinnacle Center and plan on getting wasted, you'll probably be able to pass out here and be ok. There's no bars near by and we ended up driving to Grandville after the reception. However, I'm nearly 6 months pregnant and could not tolerate the horrible odors or wet sheets. We completely regret not driving home and wasting our money on this stay.

For a hotel that is probably surviving solely on the fact that the Pinnacle Center does so many events, they could definitely stand to do some major renovations and updating to their rooms.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank edowns88
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Manager was rude, No remote for TV,toilet handle broke,booked and paid for a suite and was given handicapped room. Pool heater was broke and the person on duty that night said the manager would give me a discount on my stay because pool was broke. The next morning on check out the manager said the pool was not broke the night before but is broke the next morning. Manager was rude and lied straight to my face to save the company a buck. Hope that people read this and stay somewhere else and we will see how much the managers actions cost the company.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank brandishears
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I stayed here while doing a quick overnight solo trip to the Grand Rapids area. I just needed a very basic place to sleep for the night and nothing else, that didn't cost over $80 a night. This hotel fit the bill perfectly.

The good:
+ Location is really nice. Just off I-196 on the west side of Grand Rapids in the town of Hudsonville. It's far enough out of the city to avoid traffic, but there are also plenty of places to eat, including fast food places and local standouts such as the Hudsonville Grille just up the road. There are lots of things to do if you're willing to go out a little farther -- Grandville is just a few minutes up I-196 with a great mall and lots of sit-down restaurants, and a little further still and you're in downtown Grand Rapids.
+ The price is pretty sweet at around $60 per night.
+ I thought the room I had -- basic room with a single king-size bed -- was surprisingly spacious.
+ It was very quiet, both outside and inside the hotel. I hit it on a Thursday night which is going to be a low traffic time, but still, it was nice not to have a lot of traffic or guest noise.
+ I didn't use the pool or hot tub, but it was a nice-looking area they had there. Wish I had brought my swim trunks.

The not-quite-as-good:
+ While the room was pretty clean, it was definitely a little run down. Wallpaper was peeling, cracks in the bathroom tile, etc. Nothing gross or unsanitary but not aesthetically pleasing either.
+ The continental breakfast was "just OK". I would have liked to have seen more healthful choices -- they had apples and some tiny low-fat yogurt cups, but that was it unless you wanted to go high-calorie.
+ Another reviewer noted that the wifi was really slow, and they weren't kidding. It's very nice to have free wifi, but when it takes 30sec a pop for a page to load, it almost defeats the purpose. If you are thinking of watching a movie on Netflix streaming, forget about it. This would seem like an easy fix for the management though.

Overall opinion -- If you're looking for a basic no-frills hotel that's comfortable and convenient, this is the place. Don't let the 2- or 3-star rating fool you -- that's not an indicator of quality but of luxury. This place isn't luxurious but it *is* a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Rtalbert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hudsonville
8.9 km away
18.7 km away
Country Inn By Carlson, Holland
9.9 km away
Residence Inn Grand Rapids West

Been to Quality Inn Hudsonville? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK