“Average Experience in Every Way”
Review of Russ

Russ
Ranked #82 of 268 Restaurants in Holland
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 29 May 2017

Came in for a late breakfast with a large group of baseball players and their families during a break between games of a nearby tournament. It was obvious they were understaffed because we waited in the lobby while a single person worked the register for 4 families who were in line to pay their bills. Only after they were taken care of did the same person working the register begin busing the tables we were going to be sitting at and moving the tables together to accomodate our group of 20 or so.
We did get another server, both of which were friendly and attentive. We told them not to worry about getting the orders out all at once so people could eat as soon as their food was ready and they thanked us for that and did it the way we requested. My food choice included eggs over medium, which were as ordered, bacon, which was a tad overdone for my taste, hash browns, which were dry and also a tad overdone and a pair of pancakes in place of toast, which were very good.
All in all, an average experience, from the food to the service but not all that surprising in that area with the large group circumstances and being understaffed.

Reviewed 22 April 2017

My wife and I wanted something light for lunch and thought Russ's would be a good option. We both ordered the soup and salad bar. There were 4 soups available and all 4 were cold. My wife ordered a baked potato. The original waitress forgot it and it eventually took 20 minutes before it was brought to the table. In fact the original waitress never came back to out table. The manager was at the register, took our money, and never asked how the food and service were. This was after being told by a 2nd waitress that we were unhappy with the cold soup and late potato. The date of the lunch was 4/15/2017 at noon.

Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

We either visit or call for pick up food several times a month. Food is good ( not great) but prices are very reasonable, the people are friendly, their locations are convenient, and the quantity of food is generally a good value. This place is a Holland tradition for families seeking a pleasant home-town atmosphere and good value for the price. We especially like the Southside the night's Gary in managing as he just seems to inspire his people to give a little extra in service and quality.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

I have not been to Russ' on Lincoln Ave in Holland or any other location in quite sometime. I had given them a poor review several years ago and much to my surprise we walked in to a completely renovated restaurant. Apparently it was remodeled several months ago and it is quite nice. Hats off to the decorator. Unfortunately, I must complain about something. I told my husband I wanted the salad bar and he got a burger plate. We arrived at 5:15 pm on a Friday and I assumed everything would be refurbished at the salad bar for the dinner crowd. Well, that was not the case. I was able to pick what was LEFT of the lettuce out of the large salad bowl. I believe there were 6 soups on the bar and 3 of those were empty and one was turning brown on the bottom when I stirred it. There was nothing special about the toppings. The usual cukes, eggs, bacon bits tomatos, etc. No ham, no chicken. No potato salad, no macaroni salad, etc. The bill came and much to our surprise the salad bar was $8.29. Now if the bar had several meats to choose from that wouldn't be too bad. However I can buy a head of lettuce for 99 cents. And eggs, cukes and tomatoes are cheap also. It seems as though about the only people who do patronize Russ' are very old people or the regulars. Do you really think an elderly person can eat $8.29 in salad and soup. I don't know, with prices on beef coming down and chicken and pork being so reasonable one would think prices would come down and not go up. We can get so much more for our hard earned money driving up US 31 to any number of restaurants that offer wonderful salad bars. Good luck to you Russ'. Your going to need it.

2  Thank Therapyone
Reviewed 23 December 2015 via mobile

We visited this local restaurant on east Eighth St. We chose to sit on the side where you phone in your order. It is quite a large area of tables, less than half of which were occupied. The rest of the tables were filled with dirty dishes. We grabbed the last clean table. This is the third time in a row we have witnessed this. The food is bland and mediocre. There are better places to eat that are clean and well staffed. Why do we keep going back? The onion rings (but they were just luke warm tonight.) !!!