“My first and last visit to the Island Resort and Casino” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Island Resort & Casino

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Harris
Island Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Harris
Buffalo
“My first and last visit to the Island Resort and Casino”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

My title says it all, it will be my first and last visit to this hotel. I just got back from a Labor Day weekend trip to see the Beach Boys, who played at the hotel for two nights. I came from NY, which isn't an easy trip, seeing as where the hotel is located. I came only because a friend of mine plays in the band, and I hadn't yet seen the tour this summer.

Check in was quick, and we got the booklets with coupons after going to the Player's Club, we were given a room in the Sun Tower, which is the older tower. It wasn't a bad room, but i'm sure the rooms in the other tower were better. It had 2 queen beds, a table, TV, separate sink outside the bathroom, no safe, ironing board, or even a closet. It had a coffee pot with actual cups, and also two small bottles of water, which were free. There is wireless internet, though they don't advertise it, and so you wouldn't know unless you tried to get a signal. It's a horrible connection, very slow. It actually worked better on my Iphone from within some areas downstairs. The room TV wasn't very good, half of the channels were blurry. It got a good amount of channels, but even some of the major networks didn't come in clear.

We ate at 2 of the 3 restaurants, Firekeeper's, which was good food, great prices, but the service the one time was slow. Then we ate at the Coral Reefe Grille, which was also great prices and good food, and the soda and coffee are complimentary there. I can't comment on Beachcomber's, as we didn't eat there. There's also a stand that had coffee, smoothies, ice cream, desserts etc... that was reasonably priced.

My downside to the hotel was some of the staff members, they were just downright rude, no other way to put it, to be specific, Angela who works over at the concert venue and thinks she has some sort of power and authority, and then some guy who worked as an usher at the venue, I didn't catch his name, though wish I did, I just know he was an older guy with white hair who was on a major power trip. These people treated me like I've never been treated in the 10+ years I've seen the band as my friend's guest. These people didn't understand the word "GUEST", or what it means on a backstage pass, Angela gave me the pass and was even nasty about doing so! The old man was trying to flat out deny me access, saying a lot of people try and get backstage, I was steaming mad, as apparently he couldn't read and understand what "GUEST" meant. I told my friend how much of a hard time and hassle they gave me, it was uncalled for. I chalk it up to jealousy, at least with Angela. In the end though, I did get to visit with my friend backstage, and also some in the casino as well (which I'm sure Angela and the old man would have tried to stop if they could) so I got the last laugh on the rude staff. This all happened on the show's first night, the second night, I just walked right on backstage as I have so many times before.

The hotel's location is in the middle of nowhere, so unless your a local, it's not easy to get to, and there's nothing around. The next biggest town, Escanaba, is about 15 miles up the road and has all the popular chain restaurants and some stores. We did go up there on the second day just to get away from the hotel and ate at a local diner called Rosy's Diner on the main road, good, cheap food and service. The hotel's property does have a gas station and convenience store on the property, so that is a good thing.

Not all of the staff was as bad as Angela and the old man power trip usher, the one maid Saturday morning asked if we'd like anymore water or coffee when she cleaned the room, though it seemed like the maids were in a rush to get you out of the room. There was also 3 of them out in the hall talking on the morning we checked out, they talked for awhile. The girl at the Island Club desk was friendly, as was the front desk staff and restaurant staff. We had problems with the room keys, twice, on the same day, within 2 hours of each other, they didn't work, I got them fixed and they worked once and I had to come down again and get new keys, inconvenient, but the same girl handled it both times and finally they got working again.

There's a gift shop that's open late, and the pool, which I can't comment on. There's no advertised business center, but on the 2nd floor of the Sun Tower is computers for guest use, I don't know if they charged, but it would have been nice had the hotel mentioned they had these. I would assume the Palm Tower had them as well, though I didn't know. The valet is useless, BTW, as when we arrived, the valet guy just stood in the doorway, he didn't want to work, apparently. No problem, as there was plenty of free parking.

I don't have much to say about the casino, but the hidden gem is the free drinks, there's two areas set up with free soda and coffee, so you don't have to get from the server. The slot machines are very tight also, I can't comment on the rest as I only played the slots.

Overall, I wouldn't be back to this hotel, the staff was too nasty and it's just too hard to get to. The good thing about it was the price is right. If you're in the area though, I'd choose the Evergreen Inn a mile up the road.

• Stayed September 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank BuffaloAmy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Yale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2009

This was our 1st visit to this casino and we were just passing thru but ended up staying the night at the casino because the slots were paying so well and we were making some money! In the end with all the comps we only paid $34.00 for our room which was better than the other 6 casinos we stayed at.

I could certainly recommend this resort and we toured the RV park which is hidden in the back and it was nice. We will be back at this casino again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wintertexan6
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2009

This is my fourth stay at this hotel and I only have one negative thing to say..3 out of the 4 times I have been woken up by the VERY loud cleaning staff. The time range was between the hours of 7:30 - 9 a.m.. Two out of the 3 times we were woken up by them conversing in the hallway outside the room door and the 3rd time the maid was cleaning the room adjoined with ours. In that particular case, she decided to turn the TV on CMT very loudly so she had some music to listen to while cleaning. When my husband and I stay at a hotel casino we are up until about 3 a.m. gambling, and the last thing I want is to be woken up at 8 a.m..
Other than the noisy cleaning staff The Island Resort is a nice place to stay. The rooms are large, but average in furnishing. We have only stayed in the newest tower and have had views from both sides. The odd numbered rooms will give you a limited view of the golf course and the Bark River/Harris School and the even numbered rooms will give you a view of trees for as far as the eye can see...both sides you will have a view of the parking lot as well. Either side is nice.
We have eaten in all the restaurants on site and found all of them to be quite tasty. The service may be a little slow, but we go there to relax, so time is not an issue when we are there.
We have been able to pay off our room 3 out of the 4 times we have stayed there with our Player's Club points. For every 100 points you get the equivelent of $1.00 towards your room, food, or the gift shop. With every hotel stay you get $5.00 slot credit, $5.00 towards Bingo, a free drink certificate, and $5.00 off a restaurant purchase. Up until recently it also included a $5.00 match play Blackjack coupon, but they have done away with that.
The slots provide a moderate payout. We have have been to the Oneida Casino in Green Bay and the Island Casino has consistently paid higher than the Oneida Casino..of course that could be different for everybody, but that has been our experience.
Enjoy your stay and good luck!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank RioKlei
Virgin Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

Very nice big casino.
A little smoke but not to bad for a casino.
Rooms were very big with a large bathroom.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank mikekay2
Juneau, Wi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

Just got back from a night at da Island Resort & Casino up der in the UP. Da room was clean & comfy. Da beds were not too soft, not too hard, but just right. Da room was not too hot, not too cold , but just right. Da shower was nice and mama bear really liked da soap. Dis place had a nice pool and whirlpool which was not too hot, ... well ... you know.They had xtra towels by da pool and no one growled when we took drinks, in plastic cups, to da pool area We had our pourage at da casino restaurant , It was really pretty good and priced right. We even took home some gold from da craps table and $230. from da penny slots. All in all a pretty good stay !!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank CQtopgun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harris
21.6 km away
19.4 km away
Comfort Suites Escanaba
Comfort Suites Escanaba
#3 of 10 in Escanaba

Been to Island Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK