The home has unbeatable views and is located directly on its own private beach on Lake Michigan. You can watch the sunset over the lake from the living room, kitchen and master bedroom or you can get panoramic views from the rooftop deck.
Home is clean, well equipped and the furnishings are comfortable. Beach is secluded and you could walk for miles without spotting another person. It is centrally located between St Joseph/Benton Harbor and South Haven making it a short drive to several area restaurants and attractions.
Some things to know:
- It is clean and comfortable and in a great location but this is a rustic cottage so don't expect the Ritz Carlton. This is a 1950's quirky cottage that we really liked but it does show its age.
- Wifi and cellular reception at the cottage is poor. All of the houses on the fire lane utilize a shared T1 line. If one person tries to stream video or simultaneous people are logged in, it can AND does prevent anyone else from using it. We have Verizon and were unable to reliably text or place phone calls from the property. I had to drive off of the property for a work conference call. While this offers a great opportunity to unplug with the family, it may make this property unsuitable for some.
- The house can sleep a lot of people but there is very limited hot water (small hot water tank) - enough for about 2 people to take a hot shower. You will need to plan showers if you have a large party.
- Access to the beach is by a steep set of winding wooden stairs. The stairs are sturdy and secure but would not be suitable for certain individuals due to the high climb and steep steps. People with mobility issues will need to enjoy the views from the deck.
- The cabin is located down a gated narrow winding dirt road which can be difficult to find and a bit unnerving for some - particularly when arriving at night.
- The house is situated on a large wooded lot so you will need to check everyone daily for ticks.
- There are 2 kayaks and life preservers available for use at the property. They are stored at the beach level so bringing them up and down the stairs is not necessary.
Overall, we really enjoy our stay and would highly recommend it for someone looking for a secluded rustic Lake Michigan getaway.