“Never disappointed!”

Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
North Haledon, New Jersey
“Never disappointed!”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I stayed at the County Inn & Suites once again last weekend when I was in Grand Rapids for a wedding. The ceremony was at a downtown church and the reception we in the Kentwood/Calvin College area. The hotel was the perfect location for that. The hotel is right by the interstate, which puts you in downtown GR in about 5 minutes. Just 5 minutes down the E Beltline is SE Grand Rapids.

The hotel has an option where you can request a room upgrade ahead of time for a nominal fee. We were very pleased to be upgraded from a standard king bed room to a one bedroom suite for only $9 a night!

The staff is very courteous and pleasant, always greeting you when you are seen. Check-in and check-out were both a breeze.

The breakfast is perfect! Usually eggs, a meat and a potato of some kind, plus the regular standard continental fare and a waffle maker.

I will definitely stay here again and recommend this to anyone I hear is going to Grand Rapids!

2 Thank Johnvb87
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Johnvb87,

Thank you very much for writing a review about our hotel! I'll let our breakfast attendants know of your nice kind words. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the eStandby upgrade for the suite. I appreciate your feedback very much, Johnvb87! Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel! I saw your prior review as well. Thank you for your time, Johnvb87.

Front Office Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 April 2012

First let me say in the following in their favor. This hotel had a terrible review about a week ago because of bed bugs. When I called for reservations I asked them about that. They admitted it and told me what they had done to eliminate the issue. Our room was totall clean with no bugs.
Second I wanted a hotel near Frederick Meijer Gardens so I could get to hotel fast and easily after our visit ot the Gardens. This hotel fits ths bill.
Third the staff are nice and professional though we did not have a lot to do of contact with them.
They folllow water saving measures like limiting the sheet/towel changes if you are there for a 2-3 days or longer.
Here is why I rate the place average"
1) Lumpy beds and placed too high off the floor.
2) poor lighting, only two lamps in the room and the only over head light is at the entrance near the bathroom
3) bathtub is very shallow and the sides are narrow making it very hard to get in and out. I had just used the showed, but the surface of the tub is slightly slick so that a shower would have been a problem for me.
4) Decor is standard. Soothing but dull colors in dark blue and beige. Nothing bright or cheery anywhere. Makes the place look dull and out-of-date.
5) I mentioned the water saving measures which I liked, but they also have a lot of trash causing amenities like the wrapped soaps. There has to be a better way.
6) Don't expect a nice view. It is right off the freeway and the East Beltline (busy four lane divided road). We had a room on the 3rd floor and it was noisy.
6) There is no restaurant. There is a set-up for contintental breakfast, but nothing else. The breakfast has a good variety with waffles made on a waffle maker, french toast, eggs, and sausage. However, my husband tried the french toast and said it was only average. I had a lighter breakfast. Be forwarded then - don't expect room service.
We paid over a $100 for one night (Friday) and that was the senior citizen rate. I should have bid on Expedia to do better. However, knowing what I know now, I would look for a better hotel chain and try to get a good price elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room in the front - too close to highway and busy streets. Check Expedia or similar...
1 Thank Margo96
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Margo96,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay. I appreciate your comments very much! Regarding your review, I have some feedback. We have step stools available upon request if you ever need assistance getting into the beds. Some of our handicap accessible rooms also have a lower bed and bathroom layouts that might be more attuned to your needs. We also provide bath mats upon request at the front desk if the tub is a bit slippery. You are correct, we don't have a restaurant or bar on site. Being a select service level hotel we only offer breakfast in the mornings. However, we like to think of it as a deluxe continental buffet because we offer so many choices. I'm glad to hear you and your husband enjoyed it! I will let our breakfast attendants know of your nice kind words. This past weekend certainly was busy! Being sold out, our rates did go up. If you are ever worried about noise issues, ask the front desk on which rooms will be the quietest. We would be more than happy to help!

Booking through a 3rd party reservation system might save you money at a different hotel chain, but I can guarantee that booking through the hotel directly will get you the lowest rate. Also, if you know you are coming into town in advance, there are other ways to save on the rate! Booking an advanced purchase rate can save up to 20% on some days. There are seasonal deals that might include up to 35% off the rack rate for specific weekends also. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the Frederik Meijer Gardens. It is a wonderful atrium and they certainly do a great job! I appreciate your lengthy review of our hotel. I hope that if you are in the area we can service you again! We would be happy to have you. If you have any questions or concerns please email me. I would be more than happy to help you!

Dearborn
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stay at this hotel for work and are there for a day or two almost weekly. Place is great and hotel staff are the best. I've never had an issue. Most of my stay has been for work but I would not hesitate to book here for my own travel to Grand Rapids and west Michigan for sightseeing. Its become my benchmark for rest of chain and others.

The breakfast bar is extensive and well tended. Also, they are generous about coffee, tea, fresh-made cookies, fruit and granola bars throughout the day. Plenty to satisfy a traveling family or those of us here for work and grabbing breakfast and a snack for later.

Its a great place, Come on down.

Room Tip: Back side faces the freeway but you only hear a rumble. Its not bad.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PatSDearborn
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear PatSDearborn,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! I appreciate your kind feedback very much! Come back again soon.

GARDEN CITY
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My mom and I came to Grand Rapids for the Winter Jam Tour on 04/01/12 and to get-a-way for my mom’s birthday. When I called to make reservations, I spoke with Stephanie and told her about our plans. After talking with her, I felt like I was a long-lost friend or a part of her family.

We arrived early and were given early check-in, which was nice because we were able to unwind from the long drive before going to the concert. We were given a two queen bed suite on the 3rd floor and it was great!!! The room was very clean and welcoming. At other hotels we have experienced strong disinfectants or chemical smells and did not experience that here. The beds (even the pull-out couch) were comfortable. I also took advantage of the desk so that I could study for my national boards.

All of the staff members were very accommodating, extremely pleasant, and went out of their way to make sure that our stay was enjoyable.

Considering that we are not from the Grand Rapids area, we needed directions to everywhere we went. The hotel staff provided us with easy to follow directions that saved us time and frustration. The front desk person gave us suggestions about different restaurants in the area and had menus for us to look at so we could decide what type of cuisine we wanted. We ended up going to Malarkey’s right in front of the hotel. The food was good and also encountered friendly staff there! (Try the Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip – YUMMO!!!)

Due to time, we did not use all of the amenities; however, we did look around and were quite impressed with what the hotel had to offer. The continental breakfast was yummy! It was nice to have coffee, hot water, and cookies available whenever we wanted them. It was great being able to “sneak” down stairs for a break from studying.

We DID NOT have any bed bugs or any sign of them, so reading "MichiganReview123's" review is very surprising to me.

We were close to the elevators and really did not hear too much from people arriving and departing, which was surprising (especially because it was Spring Break and there were a lot of young people around), but gladly accepted! If/when I (or my family) come to the Grand Rapids area again; we will definitely be staying here.

Room Tip: Call for reservations - do not "book" online.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Shannyk5,

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic response! I'll let Stephanie know of your nice kind comments! She certainly is a great manager. Come back again soon, Shannyk5! I will certainly have to try that buffalo cheese dip next time I head over to Malarky's. It sounds delicious. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Detroit, MI
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stay at this location everytime I am in Grand Rapids. The service is great, always really friendly and happy to help any way they can. If you are planning a night in downtown Grand Rapid, I highly reccommend this hotel - seeing as downtown GR is only a very easy 10 minute drive.

1 Thank Allison D
Dear Allison,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor! It means a lot to me and our staff that you took the time to write a review about your stay. Come back again soon! ArtPrize is right a round the corner.