“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Dearborn
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stay at this hotel for work and are there for a day or two almost weekly. Place is great and hotel staff are the best. I've never had an issue. Most of my stay has been for work but I would not hesitate to book here for my own travel to Grand Rapids and west Michigan for sightseeing. Its become my benchmark for rest of chain and others.

The breakfast bar is extensive and well tended. Also, they are generous about coffee, tea, fresh-made cookies, fruit and granola bars throughout the day. Plenty to satisfy a traveling family or those of us here for work and grabbing breakfast and a snack for later.

Its a great place, Come on down.

Room Tip: Back side faces the freeway but you only hear a rumble. Its not bad.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PatSDearborn
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear PatSDearborn,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! I appreciate your kind feedback very much! Come back again soon.

Front Office Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
GARDEN CITY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

My mom and I came to Grand Rapids for the Winter Jam Tour on 04/01/12 and to get-a-way for my mom’s birthday. When I called to make reservations, I spoke with Stephanie and told her about our plans. After talking with her, I felt like I was a long-lost friend or a part of her family.

We arrived early and were given early check-in, which was nice because we were able to unwind from the long drive before going to the concert. We were given a two queen bed suite on the 3rd floor and it was great!!! The room was very clean and welcoming. At other hotels we have experienced strong disinfectants or chemical smells and did not experience that here. The beds (even the pull-out couch) were comfortable. I also took advantage of the desk so that I could study for my national boards.

All of the staff members were very accommodating, extremely pleasant, and went out of their way to make sure that our stay was enjoyable.

Considering that we are not from the Grand Rapids area, we needed directions to everywhere we went. The hotel staff provided us with easy to follow directions that saved us time and frustration. The front desk person gave us suggestions about different restaurants in the area and had menus for us to look at so we could decide what type of cuisine we wanted. We ended up going to Malarkey’s right in front of the hotel. The food was good and also encountered friendly staff there! (Try the Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip – YUMMO!!!)

Due to time, we did not use all of the amenities; however, we did look around and were quite impressed with what the hotel had to offer. The continental breakfast was yummy! It was nice to have coffee, hot water, and cookies available whenever we wanted them. It was great being able to “sneak” down stairs for a break from studying.

We DID NOT have any bed bugs or any sign of them, so reading "MichiganReview123's" review is very surprising to me.

We were close to the elevators and really did not hear too much from people arriving and departing, which was surprising (especially because it was Spring Break and there were a lot of young people around), but gladly accepted! If/when I (or my family) come to the Grand Rapids area again; we will definitely be staying here.

Room Tip: Call for reservations - do not "book" online.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Shannyk5,

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic response! I'll let Stephanie know of your nice kind comments! She certainly is a great manager. Come back again soon, Shannyk5! I will certainly have to try that buffalo cheese dip next time I head over to Malarky's. It sounds delicious. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Detroit, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stay at this location everytime I am in Grand Rapids. The service is great, always really friendly and happy to help any way they can. If you are planning a night in downtown Grand Rapid, I highly reccommend this hotel - seeing as downtown GR is only a very easy 10 minute drive.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allison D
Dear Allison,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor! It means a lot to me and our staff that you took the time to write a review about your stay. Come back again soon! ArtPrize is right a round the corner.

michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

First off, I am not an entomologist, nor do I claim to be an expert on identifying bugs. The following statement is based strictly on my observations and opinion and I do not claim to know the genus & species of these bugs, but I do know that they are bugs and that they were in the bed. I am writing this review to warn potential travelers that this hotel is infested with BED BUGS!!!!! My wife and I stayed here on April 14, 2012 on the fifth floor. We were relaxing on the bed watching TV when my wife noticed a bug crawling up the wall above the headboard. I grabbed the bug with a tissue and put it in a cup for examination. We were unsure what type of bug this was, but feared for the worse. Since I have read about bed bug infestations before, I knew where to look for confirmation that the room was infested. We pulled the top mattress back and quickly noticed several discarded exoskeletions (shed skins) from the bed bugs, along with hairs and food crumbs on the bed skirt covering the bottom mattress near the headboard. I flipped up the corner of the bed skirt and folded back the corner seam and what I saw made my skin crawl. There were several bed bugs scurrying for cover amidst their own reddish/black fecal spots !!! I quickly scooped up an additional bed bug in a coffee cup to provide evidence for the hotel. I took the two bed bugs up to the front counter and gave one sample to the front desk attendant for her records. She offered us an opportunity to change rooms, but from what I have read, the bed bugs can travel from room to room and floor to floor through ventilation shafts and by other means. I demanded a refund, returned to the room, collected an additional bed bug sample for verification, sealed the two bugs tightly in a coffee cup wrapped in cellophane and we hit the road for a two hour drive home at 12:30 am. When we reached home, I immediately searched the internet for bud bug images for confirmation. Unfortunately, the photos I reviewed on several sites looked identical to our specimens, in my opinion, there was no question, they were BED BUGS!!!! NASTY!!! Now, my biggest worry is whether or not the bed bugs or their eggs attached themselves to our clothing or luggage and will our home become infested? In my opinion, the hotel should be QUARANTINED until they have an exterminator take care of the problem. Before leaving the hotel, I asked the desk attendant to have the Hotel Manager call me a.s.a.p.! It is now 4:30 p.m. the following day and I have not heard a word!!! In order to protect other people from going through the same scenario, I will be contacting the Grand Rapids Health Department Monday morning to report the infestation and I will gladly submit my specimies for verification if requested to do so.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank MichiganReview123
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Michiganreview123,

I sincerely apologize for the incident during your stay. I appreciate your feedback on the issue very much. We are taking steps to further investigate the issue to take appropriate action. I know Ed Wilson; my general manager has contacted you and apologized and spoken to you at length for the issue earlier today. If you need I can certainly offer assistance, I would be glad to help with any concerns or possible requests. Once again, I sincerely apologize for the issue during your stay. If you have any questions or concerns please email me or call the hotel directly.

Cx_gami@countryinns.com
Maitland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We have stayed here a few times over the past year. I have traveled solo and with my family and I always do feel safe here. The staff is always friendly and helpful as needed. The breakfast is great in the morning. I always use the gym when I visit and I always find it clean and I mostly have it to myself. The pool is nice but it can get crowded. When we stayed at Thanksgiving, there was way too many people using it and it was really loud. (I don't think they were all staying at the hotel). I also really like the library that they have, I have used it quite a bit. Business travelers are here dring the week and on the weekend you do get a mix of people. Request a room higher up so as to avoid people coming and going at late hours. The price is great and close to the highway.

Room Tip: Try to get a room up on higher floor to avoid some of the noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo