“Likeable but expensive for its size” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zehnder's Splash Village Hotel & Waterpark

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Frankenmuth
Zehnder's Splash Village Hotel & Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Windsor, Ontario
“Likeable but expensive for its size”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

Overall, a decent place to visit on the fringe of Frankenmuth. The hotel portion of our stay was positive. We were able to check in an hour or so ahead of the usual check-in time, which was convenient. The room was typical of most hotel rooms in terms of size, decor, cleanliness and functionality. I particularly liked the breakfast bar as it gave you a proper place to enjoy a meal or snack. I didn't spend any time on the balcony (2nd floor) but I thought the view was pleasant as the grounds are landscaped and well-maintained.

The bathroom was tight and the shower water pressure was lacking but that appears to be commonplace these days in most hotels. The wireless was spotty most times and tricky to connect to; no so much in how to but how many times it took to get a successful connection. It certainly felt like dial-up once you were on. I would love to see a drying rack in each room so you can hang up your wet clothes after time at the waterpark.

The waterpark has a small sampling of the things you'd find at bigger waterparks (the bucket and play structure; a few water slides; kiddie pool; lazy river and water basketball courts). It was, however, very tightly together making traffic to and from a little congested. I didn't find it too crowded for a Friday but there was enough movement that made the area feel crushed with people. The water temp on the first day was on the cool side but it was milder on the second. Our two year-old was limited to what he could do so I'd say it's suited more toward the 3-12 age group. The life guards on duty were polite and busy and the entire waterpark was respectably clean.

Overall, I'd say it was a pleasant experience. That said, the price seemed a little on the high side for what the waterpark has to offer. The cost of our room was within the same range as Kalahari/GWL and they offer a vast amount more for water thrills. That said, this smaller venue had fewer lines and obviously a cap on how many people could be in the park at once. Nevertheless, I might have expected to pay $50 less that what we did given the size of the place. I suppose it has a lock on the industry for that area so they have the flexibility.

I wouldn't make a trip just to visit Zehnder's alone. If you want a waterpark experience, go to one of the bigger venues. However, if you're in the area and your kids like to splash around, it's worth an overnighter for the experience. If the cost was a touch lower, we'd probably return often.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Canada27
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Milford, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Check in was handled very fast and professional and they upgraded my room for me because they had extra rooms which was nice. The room at first was a little outdated looking, but I have to say the room size for family suite and the cleanliness of the rooms helped make them nice. After you walk into the waterpark right away there is a kids pool that gets deeper and has some things to do in it so that was okay. This level also has a lazy river and a small pool that was nice area to play in the water with some hoops and had a small slide for kids. The next level there were was water sprouting out of the ground and a nice multi ground fort where he could climb to each level and go down the slide with me. Overall the place was okay, but the setup was aweful. They could have made it easier to get from one area to the next, it seemed somewhat hard to get around. Overall I think it was an okay waterpark, kind of crowded because its small, little outdated compared to kalahari, great wolfe, and boyne splash village.

Room Tip: I like the family suite, seemed like it had more room even though there were only three of us, we bo...
1 Thank matt h
Croswell, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

We had 2 kids with us ages 10 and 11. They had fun with the waterpark but it is pretty limited. They did have a pool and a hot tub and a kiddie pool away from the water park that the adults enjoyed (deepest part was 4' 6") and gave the kids a break from the noisy waterpark. With kids that age, I probably would not spend the money for that type of hotel again but they had fun this trip. The water park area was extremely crowded and very noisy. We stayed in a Dragonfly accessible room which was very roomy and pretty. Had a fridge and microwave.

Room Tip: We were in a room that faced Bronners Christmas Store and at night all their Christmas stuff was lit...
2 Thank Mary Lee G
Zehnders, Manager at Zehnder's Splash Village Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. We are constantly looking for new ways to increase value for all ages and will definitely keep your feedback in mind. Thanks again, Zehnder's
Northville, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

We just did a 1 night stay as we were in the area & it was quicker than driving home. My husband got the package that included a chicken dinner & breakfast for the 4 of us. It was a bit expensive (even factoring in the price of the dinner & breakfast). The staff was very friendly & helpful. When I needed a new waterpark wrist band since I put mine on too tight, the gal was more than happy to exchange mine for another one & even suggested we exchange my son's since he is 2 & she said some kids that age don't want to sleep w/the wristband on (you need the wristband on to get into the waterpark).

We enjoyed the waterpark. They have life guards at each station and help monitor things. The gal at the medium yellow slide was very helpful in encouraging my daughter to try the slide (she was hesitant, but the guard didn't push her to go, but just encouraged her, she finally went down and it ended up being her favorite part of the waterpark). I did her whistles blow a few times & the guards let people know they couldn't do whatever they were doing.

The breakfast food was ok, the pizza & breadsticks were good. We had a pizza/breadsticks/pop voucher & the gal offered milk in place of the pop for my 4 & 2 year old.

The one thing that bothered me is that we had to pay for a crib! I've never been charged a fee for a crib, no matter what hotel chain I've been in. Had we known we would have brought our pack-n-play w/us. For the price of our room, they could have given us a crib for free. Plus we still had to go to the front desk to get a sheet for it (it had a fitted sheet, but my son is old enough to have a sheet on top of him).

Also the elevator is tiny & there is only 1 of them, that is tough at checkout time, when you can get about 1 family & all their stuff. We actually had to hit the up button to get the elevator, since each time we hit the down button it was already full (we were on the second level).

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank broncoalum97
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

Absolutely loved this hotel. The waterpark was so cute and best of all - CLEAN. It was just the just the right size - not overwhelmingly big, but enough variety for my 4, 5, and 8 yr olds. I loved the forest, fairy, gnome theme throughout. Rooms were nicely decorated and the cleaning staff was very friendly and efficient. Beds and pillows were super comfortable. Food was not bad and I liked the 2 walk-up windows you could access from the waterpark - something for everyone - adult beverages, food and kids slushies. I don't know that I have ever given an excellent rating but this was an easy call. The kids are still talking about it and we traveled over Memorial Day weekend. We will definitely be back next year.

Room Tip: I think we were in the Dragonfly room which I think they had just recently updated.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank tysonthebench
We are so glad that you chose Zehnder's Splash Village as your getaway and that you and your family enjoyed it so much! Thank you for the excellent rating, we are so honored to receive that from your review. Thanks again! ~ Zehnder's
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
1.9 km away
1.5 km away
SpringHill Suites Frankenmuth
8.4 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run

Been to Zehnder's Splash Village Hotel & Waterpark? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK