“Great Choice for Special Event”
Review of Maru Sushi

Maru Sushi
Ranked #22 of 207 Restaurants in East Lansing
Reviewed 28 August 2016

Maru is a pretty pricy sushi restaurant in East Lansing. However, they do deliver on creativity, taste, and customer service. Their vegetarian selections are very good. On several occasions, we've ordered the Chef's Platter which allows the chefs to put together their own creations. They rarely disappoint. Any of the veggie rolls is good. A must-try is the green tea creme brûlée which is probably one of the best desserts I've ever had. This is not a great restaurant for families with young children due to the high prices of even the most basic rolls.
On one occasion when the service was very slow and we had a large group. It took the waiter a long time to bring the desserts out to us and we decided to cancel the order and got up to leave. The manager immediately approached us and apologized. He also rushed the desserts and gave them to us on the house. Considering the fact that we hard ordered a lot of them, it ultimately knocked a significant amount of money off the tab. I thought that this showed good customer service and is one of the reasons I keep going back even though their prices are so high.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 August 2016

The sushi is very good here. It is probably the best sushi I've eaten in the East Lansing area... however... the prices are high enough that I'd probably go to another place that serves sushi nearly as good at close to half the price. If you do decide to go here, look at the website for discounts at certain times of the day.

The "Chef's Choice" platter at $35. was excellent but at $35. it is a little pricey but worth it if you are in a "splurge mood".

The interior of this restaurant is pretty much what you would expect in a strip mall sushi place (nothing exciting).

My wife and I sat in a booth across from the kitchen entrance and waiter's order station. There seems to be a bit of drama between service employees. This didn't affect our meal this time but I'd keep an eye on what's going on in case of an employee mood "flare up" which could end up with "meal quality issues".

I might try this place again during "discount hours" but East Lansing has so many good food choices I probably won't be back to Maru Sushi.

Reviewed 31 July 2016

This restaurant is in a strip mall (aren't all good restaurants these days?) which has lots of parking. I was staying nearby and was hot & tired from a busy day so wanted to get something good to take back to my room. I had a hard time deciding what I wanted and ended up ordering two appetizers. I love gyoza and always have to have it when I see it on a menu. The gyu asperagus looked good so I ordered that, as well. For my entrée I went with yaki udon. (Yes, I know this is primarily a sushi restaurant but I'm not into raw fish and normally have non-raw-food sushi at lunch time rather than at dinner.) Unfortunately, they were out of the gyu asperagus (this was a Saturday, around 6pm). I had to quickly decide on something else. I went with the fire cracker shrimp. The order was ready when promised (about 20 minutes). The restaurant looked modern and was about a third full when I arrived. The woman at reception would benefit from lessons in smiling. She was pretty dour, like she wasn't happy to be there. She directed me to the cashier who was putting my order together. I know I got way too much food for one person but the price wasn't all that bad for what I ordered and what I got. The gyoza was OK - a bit more dried out than I expected, so it was a little brittle without much flavor on its own. You might want to order it steamed instead of fried. The dipping sauce held all the flavor - it was great. The fire cracker shrimp was the best dish of the three. You could get this as an entrée, there was so much shrimp. It was spicy and a little sweet, with large, tender shrimp. The udon was pretty good and the serving was large. If this restaurant was in my area I know I'd be back, for sure.

1  Thank CovingtonCat
Reviewed 30 July 2016

I had a really hard time picking a rating for this restaurant. Parts of it were great, parts of it were average, and parts were not so great. So I split the difference with an average rating. First, the positives! The decor is attractive, the menu full of delicious options, and when it arrived the food was really, really good. Better than what we get at our regular place by a long shot -- the flavors were delicate and delicious, everything was nicely balanced, and they cut it in normal human bite sized pieces. Sometimes you get sushi and the pieces are so huge you have to bite them in half, which never works, or cram them in at which point you have this disgusting, gigantic mouthful. Not at Maru! I was almost embarrassed to ask for a "love potion" cocktail, but it was really delicious. Our waitress was very sweet, eager to please. She was also part of the average, though, unfortunately. The salad and soup arrived at the same time, followed almost immediately by the fried gyoza which were just OK partly because I had ordered them steamed. We abandoned soup and salad 3/4 of the way through to make way for the mains. I absolutely HATE being rushed through a meal by the kitchen. Hate it. The poor parts are that this place is more expensive than our aforementioned regular spot, partly because soup and salad must be ordered separately. The tables for two are very close together, so don't plan on having any private conversations. And finally . . . . welp . . . we had drinks at another place after so this isn't definitely related to our dinner. But you know when your dinner makes you sick and you just have a feeling about which thing it was that did it? Welllllll sorry, but I'm calling out that salad. Hershey squirts the whole rest of the night. Cramps, sweating, and the whole bit all night and well into the next day. I was VERY surprised b/c the food looked great and tasted awesome. Aside from the nitpicks that I mentioned earlier, our food tasted awesome and love really loved it. I didn't have any impression that the place wasn't clean or the fish was off or anything like that. So it could just be a coincidence. But I was SICK I tell you, and I'm giving that lettuce the side eye. So that really sucked, because I really loved the cosmo roll and that was a lot of money to pay just to rent dinner for a few hours. Maybe I try it again another time, maybe I don't. I'll make up my mind after the gurgles end.

1  Thank Liz J
Reviewed 5 June 2016

Three of us went to Maru Sushi and Grill in EL for an early dinner on Friday June 3rd. The staff was most efficient, knowledgeable (one of us needs gluten free), professional, and friendly. We ordered Ocean's 11, Rio Grande, and Miss Saigon. The rolls were edible art! Great to look at and ever so tasty, We ate every last morsel. The beer, cider and wine was great as well.