See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

DO NOT STAY HERE! the location is the only plus. The parking lot is in dire need, if you can find a spot, THE FEE IS 6.00 DOLLARS. And a resort fee?? wth? As soon as we opened the door I knew it was a mistake, the carpet and rugs were filthy. There was 1 person to check you in so it took to long with a line down the hall. The elevator had a broken button so we took the stairs, and as soon as we reached our floor our room was 2 doors down, with red stains by door I could only imagine what they were. Our room door had been broken and the jam was split so the door barely closed. The heat didn't work and they used a space heater. The beds were pooly made with sheets that didn't fit and 2 small pillows on a king. The coffee maker was broke. There was no hand towels or soap to wash your hands, and few towels. I tried morning and night to call the front desk and housekeeping, BUSY SIGNAL!! I went down to complain and found out they had left. I am by far a high maintenence person but I have stayed in enough hotels to know this place is mismanaged. I told them about the phones but no response. Do yourself a favor if your looking forward to getting away for the night, STAY SOMEWHAERE ELSE AND PAY MORE!!

• Stayed: November 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

Never been to a hotel where the front desk staff hospitality doesn't exist. And on top of that the heat didn't work so the room was freezing the wifi didn't work in our room and the tv my was so blurry it was hard to watch. I'm still waiting for a 30% refund from this dump of a hotel but the won't answer Expedia. So do yourself a favor and pay the extra to stay at Greek town or better yet dont go to Detroit

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2018

The worst hotel I have ever stayed at. NO hot water-NO Air Conditioning in 2 of the 4 rooms we rented. So moved to 2 different rooms no AC yet. They had a list of rooms with not AC yet put us in them. Complaints never answered to date. Two weeks later still no phone call. PLEASE, PLEASE STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

Check in took 45 mins. Angry guests filled the lobby. We were told, like others ahead of us, the rooms were not working properly and could offer us a “free cancellation”. After lots of inquiry and nowhere else to go, they explained there’s no heat in our room. But they would bring a space heater. Of course, they did not bring anything and don’t care.

Room also had no toilet paper, no coffee filter - and couldn’t get these items when we asked. Only 2 small washcloths and 1 bath towel. And no bag for ice. None of this came as a surprise to the staff who I think might be zombies. They’re seem so used to getting unhappy customer complaints about the same issues, they can completely tune it out.

Shoulda cancelled and slept in our car.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2018

I have traveled internationally and LOVE Detroit! My husband and I visited his hometown for a last-in-a lifetime concert tour, Elton John. He had always wanted to stay at this property, so he booked it.

Check in took at least 45 minutes because front desk staff would not allow my husband to shorten the length of stay. His credit card had been charged for the full amount of the stay before we arrived, which is an unusual business practice. Front desk staff and management blamed its inflexibility on a third party booking. No consolidator can gain access to inventory and start booking rooms in any hotel without express consent of management. I have an MBA in marketing plus a PhD in business administration with a management focus. My interpretation of these questionable business practices and the refusal of the manager on duty to make any adjustments is indicative of a cash flow issue.

We were amazed by the ineptitude of the operating personnel on-duty throughout our stay. We left to visit Motown Museum around 10:30 am when housekeeping was two rooms away on our side of the hall. When we returned after lunch and visiting family after 4:00 pm, our room still had not been serviced. I asked front desk personnel if rooms were serviced on Saturday. The first response was that I should have done something. I did not allow him to finish the ridiculous statement because at hotels I've stayed in everywhere else on days service is offered, guests vacate the room so staff can work. This agent then went on to explain that housekeeping only enters rooms with permission of guests to avoid claims of missing items.

Hotel staff members all over the world enter rooms to service them daily. Someone should have informed us of this peculiar operating practice during the 45 minutes it took us to check into the hotel on Friday. After he finished his ridiculous explanation, another agent working at front desk loudly asked whether anything was on our sheets. I'm old and all I wanted was fresh towels and told her so because there weren't enough towels in the room when we checked in the day before but we were going to a concert and did not fret over their odd rationing of towels.

There is a container of ice water prominently displayed across from the front desk, which was without cups for consumption of the water more often than it had cups. I serve on a fellowship ministry at church and know that disposable cups are cheaper than towels. If there will not be adequate cups for guests, this decanter should NOT be positioned in a high traffic area of the hotel. A decanter of water with no cups serves the same purpose as putting a bowl of wax apples on display in the hotel lobby.

We were transported to and from the concert in the same vehicle. When we returned, the limo driver, we have patronized for years, commented that the driveway was in a state of disrepair. The parking lot is a short walk from the building and the path is not well lit even though it needs resurfacing or at least holes patched. This is an accident waiting to happen.

The building is a beautiful legacy structure with excellent access to the Detroit River. None of the lamps in the room matched AND the shades on each of them was tattered. If the lamps are mismatched, every one of them should be in good condition. There were three coat hangars in a room with two guests, each wearing coats. This meant you could not unpack your bag if you did not bring your own hangars. Hangars are cheap and will remain in the hotel room. If I did not bring my garment bag I'm not stealing hotel hangars because the hangars in my own closet were bought to match.

I would never return to this hotel although we return to the city for entertainment plus to visit friends and family. I'll return to Detroit in two weeks, but I would not stay in this hotel even if it were free.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river and hope you get it.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple