“birthday dinner”
Review of El Barzon

El Barzon
Reserve with OpenTable
El Barzon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 1,247 Restaurants in Detroit
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 19 February 2018

Our family recently dined here. The food was excellent. Many options both Mexican and Italian. Our waiter, Alex went beyond with wonderful service. A new place we tried with good food and service.

Reviewed 15 February 2018

I really, really, really wanted to like this place. After all, what a great concept. Mexican and Italian dishes - two of my favorites. However, other than the service - which was pleasant and consistent - El Barzon failed miserably. The calamari had no seasoning (my wife said it tasted like a "barnyard animal", whatever that means). The spaghetti scampi was average, at best. The pasta with mushroom cream sauce was only passable. If you're going to charge over $20 for a plate of noodles and sauce it should be outstanding, and it wasn't close to it. Beyond disappointed. I hoped this would be a new "regular place" for us, but it turned out to be only regular.

Reviewed 31 January 2018

Don't get me wrong, this is probably the most authentic Italian AND Mexican restaurant that I have ever eaten at. It combines, my two loves, Italian cuisine and Latin cuisine. Only downside is that it's way too expensive.I think that may be an American thing in general though tbf. Carbonara should not be 20 bucks. That's a 12 dollar dish at max. If you have ever been to Italy, you know this. Secondly, the tacos are great and authentic, but also way too pricey. The A la carte set up also irritates me as you spend 20 bucks on a dish, but get no salad or sides or even bread with it. If you wanna take the mrs on a night date, it's a decent shout.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

FOOD POISONING! I ate at El Barzon on Sunday, December 17 and three out of four of us came down with food poisoning within 24 hours of eating dinner at El Barzon. All three of us had the same symptoms of vomiting every hour for 12 hours and fever sweats and chills. Two of us had tacos, spicy pork, barbacoa, and steak and the third person had one of the specials which was pasta pockets with shrimp in a chorizo cream sauce. The fourth person who did not suffer had chiles rellenos with beef so by process of elimination, it was the chorizo that was not safe.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

My wife and I have been to El Barzon several times and my wife and "the girls" have been there several additional. There is a reason that we keep going back. Their fusion of Italian and Mexican cuisine always gives us the best of both worlds.
We usually opt for one of the specials as we like to try new dishes and have never been disappointed.
The service is always friendly and efficient, the food is excellent, and the drinks generous.
We will be back again soon.