“FOOD POISONING”
Review of El Barzon

El Barzon
Reserve with OpenTable
El Barzon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 1,202 Restaurants in Detroit
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 20 December 2017

FOOD POISONING! I ate at El Barzon on Sunday, December 17 and three out of four of us came down with food poisoning within 24 hours of eating dinner at El Barzon. All three of us had the same symptoms of vomiting every hour for 12 hours and fever sweats and chills. Two of us had tacos, spicy pork, barbacoa, and steak and the third person had one of the specials which was pasta pockets with shrimp in a chorizo cream sauce. The fourth person who did not suffer had chiles rellenos with beef so by process of elimination, it was the chorizo that was not safe.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

My wife and I have been to El Barzon several times and my wife and "the girls" have been there several additional. There is a reason that we keep going back. Their fusion of Italian and Mexican cuisine always gives us the best of both worlds.
We usually opt for one of the specials as we like to try new dishes and have never been disappointed.
The service is always friendly and efficient, the food is excellent, and the drinks generous.
We will be back again soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

El Barzon is a fantastic restaurant. The atmosphere is amazing. The food is delicious. I was very impressed. Service is friendly and great. I can’t say enough things about this place. They do a great job! Highly recommend!

Reviewed 25 November 2017

My wife and I were visiting the Detroit area and went here at the recommendation of our daughter. Shared a two-pasta appetizer (mushrooms in cream sauce and Strozzapretti alla Norccina). My wife had cheese enchiladas with mole sauce (more chocolatey than hot peppery, which is her preference) and I had the special Chile en Nogada (stuffed chile in walnut sauce with pomegranate seeds on top – and yes, it’s traditionally served at room temperature). Very friendly and efficient service; food very well prepared (all dishes) and extremely well presented (especially the entrees – should have taken a picture of the Chile en Nogada). Not a “cheap eats” but very fair pricing for the quality of the food and service.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

My wife and I have heard many great things about this place, but have never made our way down to try it. So I decided that we would finally visit El Barzon to celebrate our Anniversary - what a GREAT decision. The service was excellent. Our waiter Alex was top notch from the very beginning, and made our visit extremely enjoyable. He made us feel special, and was very attentive.
The food was fresh, delicious, and very reasonably priced. Chips and salsa were brought out immediately and refilled the second we finished them (although we did not need the refill because the portions are big). Same goes for bread and butter - Alex and his crew made sure there was always chips and bread in our baskets. We started with the Mizto Al Ajillo, which was perfectly cooked and both of us loved. We then shared the Tris di pasta (recommended by Alex) and we were very pleased with this dish. There's nothing better than having three different fresh homemade pasta's on one dish. We loved all three, and could not decide on a favorite because they were all so tasty. For dessert, we chose the Crème Brulee. Alex brought this out on a large platter which had "Happy Anniversary" written on it, and also gave us an extra dessert on the house - such a nice gesture that we did not expect! Let's just say, we left nothing on any of our plates because of how good it was, and we were so full!
For drinks, we went with a bottle of wine with dinner, followed by a bottle of homemade red wine sangria (DELICIOUS!).

Service - 5 Stars