“All-around pleasant experience”
Review of El Barzon

El Barzon
Reserve with OpenTable
El Barzon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 1,247 Restaurants in Detroit
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 25 November 2017

My wife and I were visiting the Detroit area and went here at the recommendation of our daughter. Shared a two-pasta appetizer (mushrooms in cream sauce and Strozzapretti alla Norccina). My wife had cheese enchiladas with mole sauce (more chocolatey than hot peppery, which is her preference) and I had the special Chile en Nogada (stuffed chile in walnut sauce with pomegranate seeds on top – and yes, it’s traditionally served at room temperature). Very friendly and efficient service; food very well prepared (all dishes) and extremely well presented (especially the entrees – should have taken a picture of the Chile en Nogada). Not a “cheap eats” but very fair pricing for the quality of the food and service.

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed 22 November 2017

My wife and I have heard many great things about this place, but have never made our way down to try it. So I decided that we would finally visit El Barzon to celebrate our Anniversary - what a GREAT decision. The service was excellent. Our waiter Alex was top notch from the very beginning, and made our visit extremely enjoyable. He made us feel special, and was very attentive.
The food was fresh, delicious, and very reasonably priced. Chips and salsa were brought out immediately and refilled the second we finished them (although we did not need the refill because the portions are big). Same goes for bread and butter - Alex and his crew made sure there was always chips and bread in our baskets. We started with the Mizto Al Ajillo, which was perfectly cooked and both of us loved. We then shared the Tris di pasta (recommended by Alex) and we were very pleased with this dish. There's nothing better than having three different fresh homemade pasta's on one dish. We loved all three, and could not decide on a favorite because they were all so tasty. For dessert, we chose the Crème Brulee. Alex brought this out on a large platter which had "Happy Anniversary" written on it, and also gave us an extra dessert on the house - such a nice gesture that we did not expect! Let's just say, we left nothing on any of our plates because of how good it was, and we were so full!
For drinks, we went with a bottle of wine with dinner, followed by a bottle of homemade red wine sangria (DELICIOUS!).

Service - 5 Stars
Food - 5 Stars
Ambiance - 5 Stars

THANK YOU!

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 31 October 2017

The suburbs of Detroit have amazing Italian eateries. There are great places in Detroit too however El Barzon attempt at fusion (Italian + Mexican) misses the bar. A group of 4 of us, all first timers, dined on a Friday evening recently. We all ordered different items ranging from the goat tacos to the salmon to the fish ravioli. Presentation of all food was a 5/10; Taste 6/10; value 5/10, service 7/10. For entrée price points at $25+, a house salad or cup of soup should be included - most metro D Italian eateries include such, not El B. DO NOT order the "sorbet". I realized the next day while grocery shopping that the same natural casing coconut sorbet is sold at Meijer - $5/box (EL B charged $7/one). El B also does not serve up a traditional sangria. It was more like fruit punch repurposed with a light handful of blueberries and 1 strawberry half. I'll give it another shot in the summer when the patio re-opens, for a margarita.

Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

We've been going to El Barzon since they first opened. They were a fraction of their current size then but the quality has remained consistently excellent as they have grown. I fell in love with the mole poblano on my first visit and can't persuade myself to order a different entree. However, our family and friends have tried other things and always give great reviews. Their margaritas are all about the fruit juice and tequila, not frozen glop. The owner worked in an upscale Italian restaurant when he first came here from Mexico. So, he offers an Italian menu as well as the Mexican one. I usually steer clear of combination restaurants but, in this case, both menus are equally good. On our last visit, I had the Italian sausage appetizer which was in some of the best tomato sauce I've ever tasted.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

This place is amazing. The patio atmosphere is awesome. I had one of the specials which was a skirt steak prepared with olive oil and garlic, side is spinach and potatoes. It was delicious. Best meal I have had in awhile. Service was great. So much to choose from being its Italian and Mexican cuisine. Can't wait to return to try more of their delicious food!