“Posh rooms, bring ear plugs for noisy neighbours”

Crown Metropol Perth
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Burswood
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I stay at this hotel annually for a conference at the convention centre next door and it is very flash, just as you would expect from a hotel near a casino. The room is nice, beds are comfortable and the bathroom is amazing with a rain shower and separate deep soaking tub. My problem with the hotel is something the mgmt probably can't do much about -- everytime I stay here someone returns to their room at 3 or 4 in the morning and turns on their TV full blast. The hotel is next to a casino so I guess you expect people coming and going at all hours. But I stay there for work, not the casino, so it's not ideal when I have to wake up at 6am and be sharp.

So, if you are going for fun, enjoy! If you need to work and wake up refreshed, bring ear plugs.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights recently and have to say that for the prices they charge this was a let down. Having had the (mis) fortune to travel regularly to similar "luxury" hotels in Asia, US and the UK I'm afraid that there were many frustrating issues that suggest the hotel is far from five star, despite the ridiculous prices being charged.

Sadly just too many niggles, combined with the ridiculously high prices everywhere, means that it's unlikely that I'll return. I don't like to leave anywhere feeling ripped off.

GOOD POINTS:
Only 25 mins from the airport, despite the roadworks (caution for anyone in a rush to the CBD, this has been ongoing for some time and expected to last for many many more months).

Quick check in in a vast reception area. Hotel has been refurbished and looks excellent. The rooms themselves are terrific, not huge but a very good size. Bed was great, table, chair, couch, large plasma screen tv and a very large bath with sliding french doors that allow you to watch tv ! Most enjoyable.

Robes were fabulous, best I've ever encountered and the additional touches (toothpaste, razor/cream etc) were very handy.

In room dining (evening) was great, chilli crab linguine. Quick delivery, huge portion and very tasty. One of the best I've enjoyed.

The gym was well equipped and quiet when I attended both times.

Outside pool facilities looked great, shame I had little time to enjoy it.

Plenty of restaurants in the surrounding area, as well as the casino.

Staff, almost without exception, were excellent. Attentive, polite and friendly.

NOT SO GOOD POINTS:
Money, money, money - be warned. At $235 per night I really do not expect to then pay $34 for internet services. Absolutely ridiculous and a complete rip off. I cannot recall the last time I paid for internet at a hotel. For the amount of money this place clearly generates it is astonishing that they charge this.

Breakfast - in room breakfast consisting of a ridiculously small coffee, a very small bircher muesli and 2 small boxes of cereal - $37. I pay less and get more in better 5 star hotels in Sydey, London and Hong Kong. Again, I feel ripped off. Incidentally, running out of nutri grain (or any cereal) is pretty poor.

Lunch - similar to the above. I ordered room service just after arriving. $30 or so for a coffee (again one size only - tiny !) and a club sandwich (with a bowl of fries). Probably $10-12 more than I would usually pay in a similar hotel.

Water - $8.20 for a bottle of water ?! Whilst other similar hotels also charge high prices they also provide a small botte free.

Noisy AirCon - whilst you can set the temperature you cannot turn the a/c off - despite what it says in the room and on the control pad. The noise was ridiculous, not helped by the mother of all fans (clearly on the Rolls Royce Olympic Fan setting) in the toilet that was also constantly on and extremely loud - why is this necessary ? After a few hours in the room they sent out an engineer. He was very apologetic, tried to reduce the aircon noise but was unable to - a new setting/aircon was recently installed in the hotel. He suggested I moved rooms. I explained to Reception and apologised for being a light sleeper. They moved me (hoorah) but to a room seven doors down with exactly the same problem ! I therefore spent four nights with disturbed sleep. Having explained myself it was a complete waste of time to move me. And for $235 a night, noisy air con is not acceptable.

Noise (again) - I returned from a brief visit to the gym to find the speaker making a rather loud buzzing noise. Engineer spent 30 mins trying to fix it, eventually telling me that I could only use his room access card and never to remove it whilst I was staying. Bizarre, but it did fix the problem !

Renovations/Noise - There is work going on around the hotel so expect noise from 7am. Sadly I was on the first floor overlooking the carpark, perhaps its better in a different location.

Location - terrific for the casino, high end restaurants or the local concert venue. Nothing of any note though here. 15 min cab ride to the CBD, nowhere really to wander to.

Taxis - no taxi rank at the front/reception area so sent down to the carpark behind the casino. Waited 15 minutes but nothing. Back to reception who then said I could get one at the front ! This happened several times. Given the amount of people getting taxis surely one dedicated area is necessary rather than sending people to different locations.

Room Tip: Ask about Aircon noise and avoid facing car park as there is likely to be noise from the nearby buil...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Haggis_Supper
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Stayed here before it was refurbed and i was dissapointed but this time it was great - room was superb (air con nice and cold) and the food buffet excellent. My preference when staying in Perth from now on. I recoin they should be providing free wifi to guests - that wouldn't break the bank and would make it perfect.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2012

The location of this hotel is the only reason we booked it, as we were going for a meal at the crown complex, so for nights out at the casino it is perfect. The staff are very helpful and friendly and the room was really nice, however it was expensive. No complaints at all for this place apart from the price, if you want convenience and comfort and dont mind splashing out on a swanky room then this is the place for you. If you are going for a night out at the complex it saves you having to get a cab to another equally expensive hotel somewhere in the city where you may only save yourself $100 or so.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Not worth the money, we paid $430.00 per night, we got there and had to find parking, we then had to lug all of our bags to the lobby and wait 40 minutes in line like cattle to check inn, when we finally got to our room which was per booked and fully paid for I might add, the room was dirty the chair had food on it and the sliding divider into the bathroom was thick of dust, we went out the. Next day shopping at 9:30am and got back at 2:30 our room had not been made. We then decided to go to dinner, whilst at dinner we observed the wine waiter decanting in drank wine back into wine bottles and putting back on the shelf. I would not recommend this hotel at all.

Room Tip: The hotel is not worth the money they are asking, defentley not a five star hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Amanda C
Shaun D, General Manager at Crown Metropol Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2012

Dear Amanda C, Thank you for your feedback.

I am disappointed to read of your experience. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you in detail, particularly the cleanliness of your room and your observations in the restaurant. This is not our standard and I apologise for your experience with us.

When convenient please feel free to contact me on 08 9362 8888. I look forward to speaking with you shortly.

Kind Regards,

Shaun D'Cruz
Crown Metropol Perth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burswood
Crown Towers Perth
East Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
#15 of 66 in Perth

Been to Crown Metropol Perth? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK