“Modern, stylish rooms”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Burswood
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Recently stayed on business and was very impressed with the new modern rooms.
Lovely big bath with french doors to open into the main bedroom so you can watch the telly. Excellent,,
Good modern fittings and so so comfy bed.
Price maybe a little high but could not fault this room at all.
I will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Troydan7

Reviewed 7 October 2012

I stayed one night in a standard twin room, and can happily report that the renovated rooms are gorgeous. Modern without being tacky, the rooms boast brilliant bathrooms, nice seating areas and great technology. Certainly an improvement from the Intercontinental days! Bathroom amenities were great too.

However, I can certainly confirm some of the concerns that other Tripadvisor reviewers have raised.
- Room service. Room service has decent food, but it was semi-cold on arrival and the delivery lady left without opening the Heineken bottle (I know what you're thinking, what Australian doesn't have a bottle opener...well, it was a long day for us. Admittedly, trying to find a bottle opener in the minibar at 2am is kind of hilarious, however, our search was ultimately futile.)
- Breakfast. Has improved from recent times. However, the traditional options were better than the Asian dishes, which were bland and tasted like they were reheated frozen meals.
- Internet. Ludicrous fees for internet. American hotels manage to charge half of Crown Metropol's rate.
- Sleep quality. Pillows were decent but not super comfortable.
- Front desk and valet staff were great, but F&B staff need to lift their game, both in the new restaurants and in planned functions (see below)

(Skip this paragraph if you'll never attend/organise a wedding here). Servers at the wedding we went to were inexperienced and quite frankly a joke. Toasting to a marriage with water? Repeatedly? Yep, that's what you get when your waitress forgets to serve half the table! She went around with bottles for some tables and missed people by random, even AFTER she had already asked patrons whether they wanted white or red. Why ask if you aren't going to deliver? How can you pour a drink for one person but then ignore the person next to them? After waiting an hour for a soft drink that never came, I confronted the staff member about her poor service. Soon after, guests on the other side of the room reported similar failings with drinks, and also confirmed that their servers couldn't manage to serve banquet food onto plates (some people were given big portions, some were given skimpy portions.) Use tongs if a serving spoon and fork confuse the hell out of you. Function staff need to wake up or go home. Or maybe try their luck in the casino, where they might encounter better odds for their efforts.

So overall, happy with Crown's takeover. Just don't be afraid to ask twice – or thrice – for your drink or meal.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $50 to get a room with a view. Otherwise you'll overlook roofing, the car park and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bd472
Shaun D, General Manager at Crown Metropol Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2012

Thank you for your review on our Hotel.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed our renovated rooms, as well as the service by our Front Office and Valet teams. I have taken into account your feedback on the room service, breakfast offering and internet and appreciate you comments. As far as our minibar I apologise for the inconvenience in not finding the bottle opener, the bottle opener is located in the mirror cabinet above the minibar fridge.

I was disappointed to to hear your feedback on your experience at the wedding function. I have passed this information onto our Crown Events & Conferences team for investigation. We have an experienced and customer focussed team in our conferencing department, but I apologise that we were unable to deliver this service on this ocassion.

Thanks once again for your feedback on Crown Metropol Perth and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

Having recently stayed at the Crown Metropol in Melbourne which was excellent Perth was a disappointment. Mostly likely due to the constraints of being a renovated older hotel as opposed to Melbourne being new, Perth lacks Melbournes 'wow' factor. That's not to say its bad, the rooms are spacious, newly renovated and clean, lots of dining options and the breakfast in the cafe in the lobby was very good. The service was friendly and efficient. While all hotels in Perth are very expensive the Metropol is overpriced in my view especially after adding $29 for the Internet, $38 Valet and $36 breakfast. While Burswood is quite close to the city I think for my next (business) trip I'll most likely head back to The Duxton.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank biffnshaz
Shaun D, General Manager at Crown Metropol Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms, dining options and the customer service. I am pleased to report that shortly we will be completing our renovations across the hotel.

Thank you also for your feedback on the pricing of our Internet, Valet parking and Breakfast. Whilst our pricing is competitive with hotels in our category, we do value your feedback on your experience with us and I apologise that you found your overall experience slightly disappointing.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Crown Metropol in the future.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Hubby booked here and being a trip advisor member, I always check what others have written, this led me to be a little concerned in coming here. But we were very impressed, we had 2 rooms (us & teenagers in the other). The rooms were clean, tidy, nothing left by other guests. We were also very lucky to get views over the pool and the city. This was great as I love to take photos. There was a small queue at check -in, but staff quickly found another staff member to help. Check-in was easy, the staff friendly, as were the valet & concierge staff. A thank you must go to the young man who brought up our bags and generally asked was there a reason we were staying here and I mentioned that it was our wedding anniversary and we needed to relax due to some stress. Later that night a bottle of wine & card came up to the room saying congrats to our wedding anniversary. A very nice touch. We paid extra to have access to the club lounge and breakfast in the morning. There are renovations going on, and this is explained to you, so the club lounge is in a temporary spot at the moment. But every effort has gone into making the lounge lovely. The staff there are amazing, (the Crown should be proud of them) not only did one particular young man remember our room numbers but what we also preferred to drink. Just checking as we walked in the door if that is still what we would like that night. Lovely to chat to, all staff smiled and were happy to talk to you or answer your questions, filled your glass without having to call them. The cleaners did thier job, no problems there. The pool facilities were great, too cold for me, but our teenagers did enjoy their time there. There is also the indoor pool and spa, again too cold for me, but the teenagers loved it. Hubby watched the grand footy final out at the bar there, as there was only a small group of people watching it and there were couches to sit on. Where the sports bar inside was more tall chairs and small tables, not to his taste. There is a charge for the large blue beds, but there is certainly more than enough (well at least this time of year) other deck chairs, round beds, and cane beds to use. The pool bar staff are a little slow at getting your orders/drinks out, which considering they were not the busy shouldn't have been an issue. Something they should work on, as we were not the only ones to think so. The changes in the hotel are great, we were there 4 years ago and we could certainly see the improvements, not only in how the hotel looks, which is great, but also the staff, they all were happy, smiling and did what they could to help. I did use the Isika spa facilities, so will write a review under that, but was impressed. We also went to a few of the restaurants and I have added reviews to their names.
The only thing I think that the Crown should do is bring back dress standards, not only in the hotel but also the casino. When someone would look tidier without the shirt that they have on then have it on, I personal think that is sad. It is nice to dress up.
Overall we had no complaints, loved that the hotel was clean, tidy, looking great, the rooms are what you expect, comfortable, clean, the staff were lovely. We had a great 3 days there.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Firstly the checkin was lengthy and our credit card had to be supplied as the booking was prepaid. OK that is not unusual although never before have we been told that a specific amount would be reserved on the card.

Our bags were delivered OK... but the wait was over half an hour.

The room was with a nice river view and was refurbished tastefully... however it was really hard to draw the curtains requiring balancing over couches etc... and then it let lots of light in as we
could' t get the overlap worked out.

The interior has lots of dark panelling... stylish but The lightswitches were black too making it very hard groping around to find them. Lots of luggage rack... wonderful.

Bathroom great, large well appointed, fab towels, got in the shower... no shampoo...lots of body wash. Checked by the basin... more body wash...floor wet by this time found my emergency shampoo and enjoyed the shower.

Bed kingside and very comfortable...pillows terrible, flat no support and darling grabbed the one spare... also flat. Foe about $500.00 a night I expect 2 pillows each 1 firm 1 softer and shampoo.

Went for breakfast arriving at 9.50 to be told breakfast was finished... really? It was the sign in the lift or the compendium which said10.30am. The staff member was emphatic and there was no hint of suggestion about why but it was finished.

Parking...expensive and with an event on at the weekend of Hot Rods we had to pay $20.00 for a 20 minute dash to the room... that was per entry not possible to come back in later...

The housekeeping staff did leave some shampoo in response to my request and I wish I remembered the pillow request. At 3 am I made do with a small couch pillow as I wasn't sure how keen I was to wake hubby with a late night pillow delivery!

When we mentioned the pillows at checkout thinking that perhaps the previous guest had

requested flat pillows the young lady told us that their pillows were very popular with guests... well We were guests and we didn't like them. We were then also told we had bar charges relating to drinks somewhere in the complex about 9.30pm somewhere... we were dining at Rockpool at 8 pm so said there must be a mistake. A Very doubtful look and we weretold she was too busy to"investigate" and would do so later.

We were at the start of a 6 week holiday and stayed at a variety of accommodations and never encountered such service anywhere. As a proud West Aussie I hope this hotel can get it right as the elements are there, nice location,views and structure... but have you forgotten that guests come and expect to feel special?

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Shaun D, General Manager at Crown Metropol Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2012

Thank you for your review on our hotel.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your bathroom and bed. As part of our renovated product we have conducted a complete re-fit of all the rooms in the hotel and have recieved some great feedback on the new product. Our pillows are quite popular with guests however I am disappointed to see that they werent suitable to your needs, we do have a variety of different pillow options available to our guests on request.

We at Crown Metropol Perth are commited to providing a quality customer service experience to all our guests. I apologise that we were unable to meet your expectations in a number of areas during your stay and please be assured that your comments will be shared with our team . Our breakfast is served till 1030am daily, so I apologise that you were not provided with your dining experience at 950am, rest assured I will be investigating this situation.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and apologise for the inconvenience caused. Please contact us on (08) 9362 7684 should you be returning to our hotel so we can ensure you have a more positive experience.

Crown Metropol Perth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burswood
Crown Towers Perth
Hyatt Regency Perth
#20 of 65 in Perth
Crowne Plaza Perth
#19 of 65 in Perth

Been to Crown Metropol Perth? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK