“Lovely, old hotel”
Review of Doherty Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clare
Doherty Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Clare
Grand Blanc, Michigan
“Lovely, old hotel”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stayed at the Doherty while visiting family in the area. We had a poolside room that literally opened right out to the indoor pool deck area. We had a window that we could see the pool from,which can be very nice if you have kids that you trust in the water but still want to keep an eye on. Our room also had a cozy, gas fireplace. Beds were pretty comfortable and everything was very clean and spacious.

The interior design and woodwork inside the Doherty is gorgeous and I absoluetly loved the historical feel. If you are into modernity in design, the Doherty won't be your favorite. The food is excellent, albeit a tad pricey. There is, however, a 24 hr hour burger joint right across the street..but beware..it's cash only.

It's thenicest paly to stay in Clare and the only reason I gave it rates Very Good with me is that Ihave stayed at 5 star hotels. This is not 5 star, but it's very, very nice.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Allison O
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Doherty Hotel during an eight day oil painting seminar Oct 2 through October 10th by Mary Carole (an amazing instructor) in the hotel. We loved the Doherty! Even thought it has 150 rooms, the atmosphere is like a boutique hotel as it is owned and run by two Doherty brothers. We found the Doherty very charming and the food amazing! You could chose from a small breakfast menu or a buffet Mon-Fri included in the price of your room. We were very surprised to find such a good restaurant in a small town. The horseradish crusted salmon was the best salmon I've had in a long time. We ordered it twice while there. The only problem we had was the large size of each meal (-: We solved that by sharing a meal, which gave us room for their special chocolate cake made right in their kitchen. They also have a nice bar with Irish elf murals hand painted on the walls from the 1920's which we found charming.

We found the employees very friendly and helpful. The Doherty's staff were helpful by pointing out other good places to eat and shop in Clare and surrounding towns. The town of Clare is very charming with beautiful old homes, churches and unique shops. While I took art classes my husband rode bikes all over the area. Of course it was a beautiful time of year with the trees bursting out in amazing colors.

We had a great time. Enjoyed going back in time to the days when life was slower, streets not crowded and people spoke to each other in passing. Mary Carole has her seminars there every year during the fall and I am going back next year!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank JoAnn J
Portland, Michigan
Reviewed 13 September 2011

It was an ok hotel. It's pretty old and needs a lot of work, but it suited us fine for 1 night. The bed was comfortable and the room itself was pretty big. We didn't have breakfast or end up eating there, so I don't know how the food is.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I had eaten at the Doherty Restaurant and it was a little expensive but very good. So when my wife and I wanted to get away for a night I thought this would be a great place. Well, its OK but not great. You enter a beautiful and spacious abandoned, yes no one is there - foyer. You walk about half a block through carpet with spots and utility rooms with the doors open so you can see the supplies etc. and eventually you discover the front desk. Nice guy at the desk - asked to have my free breakfast cards back after an awkward moment when some leader lady told him secrets in front of me (let it go lady). I returned them to find out that you get no free breakfast on Sunday morning but you can but one for $9. Thanks anyway. Our room had only one window - it looked out over another non-decorated abandoned area next to the pool. Had to close that when the kids went swimming. Lamp shade is melted and absent three of four bulbs. And so it went. I'm sure the Doherty has seen great days - and it would not take much to get it back up to par. But as it is, they need to take a little pride in their establishment. If the desk clerk goofs up - tell him later, NOT RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE GUEST! CLean the carpets, buy some plants, put a welcome desk in the entry... try a little. The Senator would be ashamed of what has happened to this facility. Sorry but we probably won't drop the money here again.

Room Tip: Try another hotel