“Excellent food”
Review of Namaste Flavours

Namaste Flavours
Ranked #36 of 181 Restaurants in Canton
Reviewed 3 August 2017

We attended a Michigan Shakespeare Festival performance in the early afternoon and then went to Namaste for dinner.

The restaurant is hidden in the north end of a strip mall whose street has no name. So check a map beforehand.

Our meal was excellent, at least the equal of the really good Indian cuisine available in Ann Arbor. I had a vegetarian dish with potatoes, cauliflower, and spices, while my wife had chicken tikka masala. The helpings were large enough for us to enjoy lunch on them the next day.

The price is very reasonable, in part because you order rice as an extra on the side. Still, we paid about ten dollars less than we do in Ann Arbor, and we were well pleased.

The service is informal, and occasionally there can be a little bit of mis-communication: I reminded the server about rice and right away received a fork. But who knows? My northern California pronunciation is probably at fault.

I recommend this restaurant highly. It is very clean, the bathrooms are spotless, and the food is both excellent and good value. It is true that the menu is a bit limited, but there is a fair amount of variety. I did like the fact that everything was fresh, which is easier to guarantee with a modest selection. We will certainly come back.

I should say that the restaurant had a variety of customers while we were there. There was a German-speaking family, a large group of Muslim Pakistanis, a few Indian couples, and a large family that had decided to stop in because there was no space at the pizza joint a few doors down. They seemed to be enjoying themselves. I write this because there was a sense I got that the restaurant is equally satisfactory to those who know the cuisine well and those who are inquisitive.

We have never tried NeeHees, which was closed on Sunday, but I have noticed that there are both highly favorable and disappointing reviews, which I have learned to imply that the management is not uniformly on top of things. I could be doing that restaurant a disservice.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

We tried this place for carry-out, when my husband got to the car I realized they "forgot" the rice so he went back in. He came back out with rice but informed me it is a la carte (we both ordered chicken tikka masala) and we needed to order it. I've been to probably a dozen different Indian restaurants and have never had to order rice a la carte. It's akin to a Mexican restaurant telling me I need to order the shell for my taco! My husband got his medium spice and I got mild. He can usually tolerate hot, rather than medium, but since this was a new place for us he went with less spice and was glad he did. I feel like my mild was more similar to medium spice at other places and it was a bit too hot for me. I enjoy things buffalo chicken wings so I am not totally averse to spice but their mild was still more than I prefer. The chicken could have been a bit more tender, I had a few tougher pieces. I'll give the place another try and order my dish with no spice and see how that goes. At least now I know I have to order rice. It was between $8 and $9 for each dish but that is all you get, no naan and no rice.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

A friend and I stopped in for appetizers and were very pleased with the quality of the food. The menu is a bit limited but the chicken appetizer dishes are fabulous. We will come again! Love the spicy food.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

This restaurant is located at the end of a plaza. We found it a few days ago when we were going to another place in the plaza. We tried it tonight for carry out - Dal Makhani and Tandoori Chicken. Note these are a l a carte, so if you want rice or naan, you need to order separately. We ordered medium spice and it was good for us. We'll try other dishes soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2017

My son and I were looking a for an Indian Restaurant to enjoy when I happened to see this one while shopping at JoAnn Fabrics Store. It is tucked at the very end of a small plaza next to JoAnn's and down from Oreilly Auto store. It has booths and tables with chairs of a choice as where to sit.

Most people choose the booths. I asked the waiter to suggest some dishes that are not too spicy hot. I have a touchy stomach. He mentioned several. I decided to order the appetizer Chicken 65 made mildly. It was delicious, it is fried crisp with some flavorful spices on it. I also ordered the garlic Naan bread and raita (yogurt sauce). All very good. My son ordered some lamb dish with spinach in it. Very tasty but too spicy for me. He also got some bread but with chives in it. For desert, we got two dishes to share. One was Carrot Halwa which was a sweet carrot dessert. I liked this one the best but best to share with someone else. The other one which was also good was like small donut holes in a sugary syrup, Gulab Jamun. The prices were reasonable. I saw someone in review say that they were served on Styrofoam plates. Well I was served on regular plates. On the menu it says that there is a luncheon buffet everyday. They are closed on Mondays. I guess they have another location on Grand River in the city of Farmington. Definitely glad I came and I will return again. You could put some tables together for a bigger party.