“Great Spa..OK food” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boyne Falls
Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Lowell, Indiana
“Great Spa..OK food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

The spa in the grand lodge was great!It was a bit pricey but that was expected. However food was cold at Everetts and service was terribly poor. I expected alot more for my $. Rooms Clean but nothing above and beyond. Fan in bathroom didnt work and temperature control in the room was nearly impossible to get right. Ski rental was smooth and easy..in and out in 10 minutes.Ski lift tickets are good at both boyne mtn and boyne highlands so you can ski both mountains for the day. We liked the highlands better for skiing due to them taking better care of the slopes and its only a 30 min drive to the other resort. The cafeteria was better at the highlands. Boyne mtn had more black diamond runs open at the time so I cant really decide what one I would suggest for skiing.

Room Tip: we stayed in 237 it had a pretty fireplace and balcony however ask for a mountain view if you want t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Great Midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

We always go to Boyne a few times per year but always during the week between Christmas and New Years. This year we were there for only 2 nights on December 26th anb 27th and we had a good time. I was traveling with my wife and two kids aged 4 and 8. Boyne offers many different types of accomodations such as condos and chalets but the standard hotel rooms in the Mountain Grand Lodge always works the best for us with the kids. Condos and chalets are great for adults and teenage kids but when we are away my wife will not do any type of cooking and with the kids they need food on demand so the hotel always works the best cause it has a restaurant.

The great thing about Boyne is there is something there for everyone even if you dont ski. The skiers love it but if you dont ski there is the indoor water park, spa, indoor pool, local sightseeing, and snowmobiling. For us it works great cause I dont ski but I snowmobile so I tow my trailer to the Boyne parking lot and unload and ride all day and the meet up with the family for dinner and exchange the days events. The trail starts just across HWY 131 and you can literally ride any where from there. This time there was not enough snow so my sled stayed home. Also if you dont have your own snowmobile there is a rental place about 1 mile from the hotel. Traverse City and Petosky are not too far so you can also take in the sights if snowmobiling is not your thing. The water park is a big indoor attraction for the kids and offers them something besides skiing but its pricey. In the evening there is story time with Fritz in the library with homemade cookies and milk. Also every morning during the week between Christmas and New Years they have a juggler in the main lobby that the kids and adults both will find entertaining. At night there is a horse drawn sleigh ride and bon fire so as you can see you will find things to do besides skiing. There is also a gift shop in the main lobby with basic stuff plus a Kilwins fudge and ice cream store and other shops located in the little villiage between the two hotels.

There are many restuarants on property and as I said the kids need food on demand so this works well and we always eat on property. The food is of decent quality and priced good also. Its not fine dining but hey your going here to ski not for a fine meal! We mostly eat at Everttes but have tried them all and you wont be disaapointed.

The rooms are always decent and you know what to expect. They could probably use some freshening up and getting a little outdated and the shower heads are a bit fussy but here again you are there to ski not stay in the room. A good hot shower and nice mattress and I am happy! The Mountain Grand lodge is newer than the Boyne Mountain hotel and I highly reccomend to stay at the Mountain Grand if you have kids. For one thing the hotel is newer plus it has the game room and water park and we like Everettes restaurant better than the Boyne Mountain hotel however the Boyne Mountain Hotel is closer to the skiing.

We always enjoy the outdoor hot tubs and pool at the Mountain Grand and every year we do use the spa. The spa is decent with good ameneties but dont get a massage. I have had 3 masssages there and every year I leave dissapointed and $175.00 lighter. No more massages for me. I can feel just as good with 30 minutes in a hot tub seriously. Its not that the staff gives a bad massage its just that they dont know how to give a good one at least thats been my experience from the 3 different ones I have had.

So pack your bags, load up the car, hook on to your trailer and head North and enjoy yourself at the best ski lodge family resort in Michigan. Oh and dont forget the kids.

P.S. One thing I forogt to mention that is seriously worth noting is that Boyne was founded by a Michigan man named Everett Kircher. He was a business man, inventor, and outdoors man like no other. He owned car dealerships in Detroit but fishing, hunting, and skiing was this mans passion. He has caught world record fish and hunted trophy animals all over the world and had a vision and drive like no other to say the least. One thing that I really admire about him was he was the man who invented and patented the snow making machine that is used all over the world at ski lodges every where. He was a pioneer like Henry Ford and you should read the book they sell in the gift shop about his life. The world need more Evertte's today.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the waterpark if you have kids.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank caymankid
Omaha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

I just spent three days at the Mountain Grand Lodge for a conference. Since I'm not a skier I can only speak to the facility and location.

First of all, very pretty location with the mountain (reallly big hill) in the background. The Grand Lodge is just as you would expect with a very ski resort feel, lots of woodsy decor, warm and cozy. The real pine Christmas tree and garland was very fragrant - I really enjoyed it.

I had a room with 2 Queen beds that looked out to the back of the resort - a nice mountain and stream view. The room was very comfortable and clean. The bathroom was roomy with a shower only. We had a very reasonable rate, since this was mid week and the slopes were not yet open for skiing. I understand (from the front desk) that the rates will triple as soon as it is ready for skiers. over $400 a night. Sounds like a lot to me, but since I'm not a skier I'm really not qualified to make an opinion as to whether that is in range.

We ate all our meals here and the food was good, not great, but definitely good. The servers were friendly and helpful although food was fairly slow to arrive and they were not busy.

I would definitely stay here again given the opportunity.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floor with a view of the mountain.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Hamilton, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Our foursome has visited Boyne Mountain to golf twice now and neither time were we disappointed. ...the staff the accomodations and especially the food have always been above par. The resort has two fantastic golf courses which would satify almost anyone to stay and play them. If you go for the gr8 escape its even better. So many courses to choose from and they are all in tip top shape. Its a golfers dream!!....then as part of your deal you can select Bay Harbour to play which is breathtaking in itself right on the coastline with some very scenic views. All in all I would recommend this resort to anyone. Our stays were 2010 and 2009 in September

Room Tip: Many options to choose from...the main lodge to various condos around the ski hills
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

Sorry about the delay in my review life just gets crazy .
We have been staying at lodge every year since it opened for the Port Huron to Mackinac race that my husband does . Everything was wonderful . There was a question regarding my parents taking my son to the water park while I was at Solace ( they didn't know if we had a package etc ) the gal at Solace knows us from our visits and went to the front desk to help get it worked out for them .
We love Solace ( especially after my husband has sailed for three days ) .
We will be back next year !

• Stayed July 2011
0.7 km away
Bluegreen Vacations Mountain Run at Boyne, an  Ascend Resort
23.9 km away
Inn at Bay Harbor, Autograph Collection Hotels

Been to Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK