“Not going back”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Commercial
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have eaten here 3 times and the only time that was acceptable was in the bar, and that was just okay. The second time I went I was with my husband, we went upstairs we waited so long for service that we eventually left. We did see a waitress, but every time she appeared she would answer a quick question and would run away. Eventually we gave up and told the folks at the one other table that we were leaving. I wanted to give it one more try, so yesterday my friend and I went and sat upstairs. The waiter apologize profusely for keeping us waiting at first, and then after waiting a half hour and still not receiving our simple glasses of wine, we informed him that we were leaving. At that point he actually starting providing service and not just apologizing, and we had just an okay meal with a free round of wine on him. He did save the meal, but now I am sure that I will never go back.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We love the atmosphere of the Citizen the service is always outstanding. It was the first time I had wine on draft it was amazing.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Why do people like this place? The food is average, service sucks and the bartender’s have no clue.

Food over cooked not seasoned well and bartenders are to bust cleaning glass wear them to wait on you.

Had to wait 15 minutes for then to check back you ask me how my steak was, by then it was cold and I was too aggravated to even send it back

The bartenders have no personality as a good bartender should.

This place gets to stars max

Sam M, Public Relations Manager at The People's Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

DC - We are sorry to hear that your visit to the citizen did not go well the other day. We have heard your message regarding the attentiveness of our bar team and it is a great reminder for us that our guests must remain our top priority despite any other tasks that need to be completed. They absolutely should have checked back with you right after delivering your meals, so we could correct any issues with your meals immediately. We understand that the delay in that process resulted in frustration and not wanting to wait any further for us to correct it. If you reach out to us privately through our website, we would be happy to discuss the specifics with you further. Thanks.

Reviewed 2 March 2018

Sat down and was told that they only had 3 vodka selections for martinis. All 3 were unknown except for Tito which I do not care for. Apps were good as was dinner. Small selections and hard to select. Had veal chop. Only average. May try again but not immediately.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

I have left glowing reviews for upstairs, for The People’s Kitchen. It is outstanding.

Last night after working a 12 hour shift, we wanted to grab dinner and head over to the cigar bar for some great music.
We had Silis for our server. It seemed that we were bothering him with our requests - which were:
Drinks, and the food. It was uncomfortable.

I personally don’t use Groupon, but our friends do. Maybe that’s why the service seemed “off”? I’m not sure. But we did the 4 meals for $95.00, app,main and dessert.

It took some time to get our drinks. Apps were mussels - our husbands were served first for every course that came out - odd.
Mussels were delicious. There were 10 on each plate.
The main course - we all had filet. There was an upcharge of $10 per steak. 3 of us had medium, one had medium rare. Again, the men got served first, and the steaks were messed up, the medium rare given to the wrong person. Two of us asked for no potatoes, and extra veggies. The “extra” veggies were a total of 5 pieces of summer squash and a sprig of kale. Kind of embarrassing. Again- is this because of the Groupon?

We took dessert to go.
I am so glad that I’ve had a wonderful experience upstairs at TPK.
I will not be returning the first floor, Citizen Bar.
And by the end of it all, there was no big savings using the Groupon. #fail

Sam M, Public Relations Manager at The People's Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at the citizen. You should not experience any difference in the food or service regardless of what floor you sit on or if you're using a groupon or not. It sounds like we dropped the ball on your visit and for that we truly apologize. I promise you it was just a miss on our part and nothing intentional because you had a groupon. We've had thousands of people take advantage of our groupon promotion and we are happy to continue offering it. The price fix experience you purchase through groupon is the exact same one we offer on the menu we hand out to each and every guest. The chef and his team have no idea which dinners on the board are for diners with groupons and which are not. However that does not excuse slow or poor service. I understand that based on your experience the value of the groupon wasn't there for you and if you reach out to us privately we can discuss options to remedy that. However, we do stand by the overall value of the groupon when handled properly. We do appreciate and thank you for the feedback and for giving us the opportunity to address these service issue with our staff.