“Disappointing”
Review of The Log

The Log
Ranked #23 of 49 Restaurants in Williamstown
Reviewed 22 November 2017

I've probably written a lot restaurant reviews for TripAdvisor and this is probably the worse I've written. Myself, my sister and her husband drove to Williamstown hoping for a wonderful experience at Williams College's relatively new venue for students, alumni and the public -- The Log. I had read about the extensive renovation and was psyched. Well the venue is wonderful, even though I think it needs work on the lighting -- a total redesign in search of soft, cozy pub lighting (not dark in spots and too white in other). There are a couple of garish lights beside the fireplace. And fix the temperature -- cold and drafty, so we moved as close as we could to the fireplace, which helped. The choice of craft beers was quite good and I had a very nice Cabin Fever Ale from the Berkshire Brewing Company. Now the food.... My sister and I went with Fish & Chips. The "Fish" was scanty and made from frozen fish sticks -- that's right, fish sticks. The fries were bountiful, over-salted and not particularly inspiring. My brother-in-law went with the "make-your-own" pizza. It too, seemed to be of the frozen variety. Again, quite uninspiring. The crust was thin. Occasionally, there are good thin-crusted pizza. Not this baby. We did have a nice young waitress. Fix the lighting. Upgrade to real food of the level befitting a place that just completed a $4.5 million dollar (that's right) renovation and restoration, and check back with me in no sooner than six months when I give it another chance. p.s. I LOVE Williams College and Williamstown, but I felt I had to "tell it like it is" for this review. I hope someone there listens and fixes the problem, since I'd truly like this place to be the outstanding place it should be. Check my other reviews -- I tend to be an "Easy A."

Reviewed 9 November 2017

I expected too much- there would be a healthy portion of cheese. basically a flour-based white sauce with some cheese, mixed in with al-dente macaroni noodles. It was tasteless. The salads are very good, except they always seem to be lacking ingredients to what is advertised. Service was OK; we came on a weeknight. PS the mac and cheese are overpriced for what you get.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

We visited there on a rainy raw day and the Log was a nice place for a late lunch. It did not disappoint. The offer made to order salads (you build it) and a casual warm atmosphere.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

A quaint student operated restaurant with tasty food especially the virtual salad and macaroni and cheese. People will get a kick out of the old world academic ambience.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

I have tried to give the Log a chance to get better, but it just doesn't. Perhaps I should give it 2 stars because the pizza was quite good and the range of beers are very good. But the other items on the menu are consistently bad and the service is worse. The staff are not trained in basic service and I have heard the management is poor. Maybe the staff aren't paid enough?

Some of the problems:
The waiter wiped the table and then left the dirty cloth in front of us (gross). We waited 15 minutes for a drink order. He forgot many standard requests, such as more water and plates for the pizza. Wait staff were running around in the parking lot while we ate (weird). At the entrance to the restaurant it says please wait, but no one came for many minutes, so we found our own table. Ingredients were left out of the fish tacos and they were dry . . . And I had similar lack of service the previous two times.