Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Attended the 95th Annual ARBA Convention Oct 26-31, 2018

The Convention was held in both the Mallary Complex and the Young Building. I brought my small RV... read more

TriciaNPete
Windsor Ontario
Amazing!

tash9207
West Springfield, Massachusetts
via mobile

All reviews state buildings new england states cream puffs fair food state fair cotton candy eclairs dog show rhode island fried dough carnival food farm animals food vendors great event bring your walking shoes maple sugar carnival rides
Reviewed 1 week ago

The Convention was held in both the Mallary Complex and the Young Building.
I brought my small RV camper to stay on site.
The Good:
An excellent set-up for campers of all size around the Mallary Building. Power, water and sewer hook ups very well placed and well done.
The restrooms clean and very well maintained during convention. Showers in the Mallary Building were very good (solid stalls, good water pressure and steady hot water). Both buildings showers were very clean!
Very spacious building, good ventilation (there was 16,000+ rabbits between the two buildings and I did not find the smell bad!)
Food was available from an inside vendor
The not so good:
Young Building not very good showers (ripped curtains, poor pressure and hot and cold, based on flushing!)
No exterior bathrooms or bathroom doors... I had winterized my RV already and didn't want to use the bathroom, the buildings were locked at night! I would have thought a facility this big would have had exterior bathroom entrances on at least one of the buildings.
Pick-up and drop-off was very hectic and the fire marshal continued to threaten to close the event if vehicles were not moved away from the building.... People were dropping off rabbits to be housed inside.... a lot of yelling.
We were told to move our vehicle to parking although we did not fill our camping area with a 15ft camper and an astro van!
The food at the vendor was very expensive $2,50 for a bottle of water or a coffee!!

Overall: The complex is HUGE... I do encourage any groups looking to book to make sure the camping agreement is in writing and to arrange for at least a port-a-potty during late/early season events (were there is a possibility of freeze) Be sure to communicate to your guests that the fire marshal is strict on pick-up and drop-off areas around building; arrange for something with fire marshal ahead of time.

I was too busy to see much of West Springfield, but the drive was beautiful and I wish I had had an extra week to explore this beautiful area!!

Reviewed 1 week ago

Been going there for over 30 years. Each year it gets more and more expensive. It’s very difficult to afford for a family of four. Though the activities are good, but lines are long. Between parking, traffic, long lines and high costs. Our tradition will end this year. We will be focusing on the smaller Town fairs.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Talk about a fair! This place has everything you want and more. You can spend a whole weekend at this fair and love every minute!

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The Big E is a wonderful place for a family. There are so many free shows and activities. We saw the circus which was wonderful, had lots of funny acts, animal acts and some dangerous ones. Comfortable seating. We also saw the Navy ensemble with a very excellent vocalist. Performed for 1 hour. We also enjoyed some African dancers. Lots of other activities going on thru out the day. The replicas of the state capitals ate filled with products from each state. The baked potatoes from Maine were tasty. You cannot leave without having a big, delicious cream puff.

Reviewed 1 week ago

This place is huge. When I arrived on 10/27/18, it was raining. Only parking available was in the dirt and it was ugly. The buildings themselves weren't bad; however, the set-up (done by the MA Rabbit Club - not the correct name) was just awful. Our breed booth was so far from where the rabbits were that it was difficult to get them to the tables to be judged. The worst part of the entire time there was that our breed booth was set up right next to two sets of doors, and every time someone came in, the wind howled in (and the cold), constantly blowing things off the tables. And in a building that large, there was only one washroom (although with at least 10 or 12 stalls) on one side of the building so we all had a long walk to get there. Cost to park was a bit outrageous (we were charged $25.00 at first although $20 had been advertised, but a refund of the extra $5.00 was provided a couple days later). Parking at last year's ARBA convention in Indianapolis, IN was only $8.00. However, we did manage to have a pretty good time. Pretty sure I'll never be up there again to see how it is in warmer weather.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Big Excitement! At the Big E every year and it never disappoints. Great fun, food, rides, entertainment and much more. For a price of a movie $10 for parking (car load) inside grounds and $10 to get in not bad. Best to go is during the week after 4 pm less crowds. Lots of new things to see and do.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Every year it is the same. But, that is why we like it so much. I went this year but haven't been there since 2015. This seems about the right interval to go the Big E. I have many memories from the Big E and have been going all my life. The cream puffs and eclairs are spectacular. The state buildings are a delight with food and drink specialties from each state along with clothing, shoes, and other local specialties. It truly is a unique experience. Try to go on a weekday (but not Friday) so you can see everything.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Always fun, the Eastern States Exposition is held every year mid September for 17 days. Loads of traffic, particularly the second weekend of the Fair. It's not hard to get around the traffic if you plan ahead. Parking is in both West Springfield and Agawam as well as on the fairgrounds. There's food, rides for the kids, state houses, old storrowton village, crafts, parades, more food, games, arcade, shops, animals, entertainment. The entertainment always surprises...free shows daily ... old bands make you feel 20 again. New bands and acts are great too. Best days are weekdays. Discount entry after 5. Plan ahead and make a day of it during the week. All that food, gifts, rides, can get expensive so be prepared. ATMs on the grounds. So worth it!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We had never been to an American State fair before so really wanted to check this out. We had a lot of fun exploring the State building and wandering around the exhibits, games, and rides.
We are glad we went, but would likely not go back. We found it very expensive for the privilege of shopping ... and so many of the buildings had the same mediocre quality stuff for sale.
Overall we spent $70 to get in, $32 on a pillow, and another $30 on fair food. So $132 for 3 hours of walking around ... Fun for a first time, but that’s it.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have been visiting this fair since I was 6. this is a great fair to visit with your family and friends. There is a daily parade, the Avenue of States Buildings, concert venues, rides for the kids, and so much FOOD. I especially love watching all of the animal exhibitions. Take the day and enjoy the fair!