“not fancy, but adequate and affordable”

Super 8 Watertown/Cambridge/Boston Area
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Watertown
Reviewed 13 April 2011

perfect location for visiting my son who lives nearby. Very convenient for going into the city of Boston. Room was perfectly clean and met our needs for just a place to sleep. Front desk personnel were friendly and helpful. Parking was convenient. Was not luxurious, but was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 1 February 2011

I've stayed at a worse hotel in Costa Rica, a traveler's hostel that had overflowing sewage in the non-functioning toilets, walls literally made of cardboard, and a bed that was an 1" thick piece of foam on top of plywood. That said, this place is horrible. The sheets were not clean (I saw some hair, indicating that it was not changed), the room smelled of smoke (even though it was sold as non-smoking), the AC didn't work, the trash was not previously emptied, and the room appeared to be in the basement. We were desperate to get a room since all of the other hotels in Cambridge were full. On the plus side, after reading all the bad reviews (after we checked in) about bed bugs, I did not see any bed bugs nor did I or my wife receive any bed bug bites. I did not sleep at all that night. Also, the man at the front desk was very courteous when checking it, so I was shocked when we found the room to be as bad as it was.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Lakata
Reviewed 30 January 2011

This is an average Super 8, albeit a bit small. Considering the location, that's normal. The front desk was average- answered my questions, did their job, etc. I was late coming in and had an early flight out so I wasn't there long. Only down side was the sticky motel carpet and the rather hard bed. The TV worked, the shower was great, and the Wireless was on.
Overall, this is a decent hotel if you're traveling solo and need an expensive place to sleep.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2011

Carpet is very dirty. Bathroom light has pleanty of dead moths. Desk chair filthy dirty. Morning clerk seemed less than interested. Room 218 very noisy as doors are directly across from each other.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Chaseman
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My experience with Boston is that there is an overall shortage of hotels. I've stayed here in summer for $99 plus tax, and in winter for $71 plus tax. This price is the lowest i've seen around. The next closest hotel (which is much nicer), wanted $199 a night in november!!!! As a business traveler I need to stay close to the city, AND I HATE TO SPEND EXTRA MONEY!!!! It's not on a subway line but the 70 bus stops at the front of the hotel and takes you strait to Central Square station on the Red Line. So this place suits my needs.

Saying this, please realize that the Super 8 is not a fancy hotel, its old... no elevator, the floors creak, the doors squeak, and well it's a quirky property in general. There is a garage (kinda) which is covered (mostly) by an overhang that supports about half the rooms the hotel has. Theres a side building that is not directly attached to the hotel which has a handful of rooms (I've never stayed in this building but I've used it as a shortcut in the cold), and yes there are a one or two rooms in the basement along with the ice machine (again never stayed down there but have gone down for ice).

The rooms I've been in has always been clean. The one complaint on cleanliness I have is that one time the housekeepers forgot to put towels in the bathroom. I called to front desk and the manager or clerk on duty (a guy name Mike) brought up a fresh full set and apologized within 5 minutes (which was impressive seeing that he was the only person working in the whole hotel).

Now you may expect my rating for service to be high considering that experience... unfortunately there is also this other guy who works there. He's been on duty only twice when I've stayed there and he is just simply rude. I came down to get a pen, and boy was that a struggle. He was checking in a guest who was paying cash and was constantly speaking down to the guest and was very aggressive. He was demanding a 150 dollar deposit and the guest (who didn't speak English well), was struggling to understand. Eventually he processed the check in and dealt with my request for a pen. His response, "Ok, but listen to me, you better bring this back I need it. I shouldn't give this to you, but if you hurry up its fine." Seriously is a 2 cent ball point pen that big of deal? I gave him the pen back and went to my car to find a loose bic. The next morning I told the front desk clerk (a nice guy named Jim) about the story and asked him to relay it to the manager.... you know what.... THE RUDE GUY IS THE MANAGER. Apparently the only shifts he works is covering for people on vacation and such. BUT WHY IS THE ONLY PERSON WHO GIVES THIS HOTEL A BAD NAME THE MANAGER???

Anyways besides that you cant beat it for the price in Boston. I would recommend the hotel to anyone who wants to save money and can stay in a hotel without leather couches in the lobby and a Michelin star restaurant. I stay here whenever there open (they do book up occasionally, its small), and besides the manager, I have no issue with the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank SoManyLoyaltyCards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watertown
Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan
Hotel Boston
#76 of 84 in Boston
Freepoint Hotel
#15 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to Super 8 Watertown/Cambridge/Boston Area? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK