“Very nice hotel with one drawback”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Swansea
Norwich, Connecticut
“Very nice hotel with one drawback”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I read many reviews on this hotel and we decided to book for one night as we were taking my son to Battleship Cove the next morning. Our room was on the 3rd floor. The hotel was very nice. It was clean and nicely decorated and we were well greeted. The room was very comfortable. The breakfast which is free was pretty good. I really liked the neat pancake machine. It was a very good location for us. The hotel is away from the busy area but close enough to things. I really liked the hotel, but I will say the reviews are correct about the noise. You can hear others in the room. That is the one drawback.. and a big one. I would not hesitate to stay if it was only one night. I would consider staying again knowing this issue exists.

Room Tip: Choose a room on 3rd floor for less noise. Make sure to get bed linens for sofa sleeper (if you nee...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank JULRUF
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
sakigemcam
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Positives: Location was convenient for our travels. Overall cleanliness. Very friendly reception staff, extremely helpful. Decent sized room, decent bedding. Good breakfast for a free one. Breakfast area nicely maintained.

Negatives: I give it only one negative but it was a HUGE negative. I do not know if this was just the case in our room (120) but there was a connecting door to the room next door (118) which had a huge space underneath it. AND the walls may be thin as well. We literally could hear the cell phones of the people next door vibrating. We heard their alarm go off. We heard them cough. And worst of all, they had the television on constantly - I have no idea if it was blasting or if it was the space beneath the door or the thin walls that made it audible enough that I could hear the audio on their television. My travel companions plugged into their headsets. For myself, I had a noise machine on my phone, and earplugs, and a pillow over my head, and still heard everything. At 1:30am I called the front desk for intervention. They were immediately responsive and the television went off. But then the coughing, the phone, their alarm, their talking - it was horrible. Their alarm went off at 6:30am.

Other negative, not a big deal but for a fairly updated property the television was a huge thing with tubes - no flat screen?

I would suggest avoiding these rooms, 118 and 120, and checking for quiet between your room and neighbors - and bringing headphones just in case. We may be back, but we will be more prepared.

Room Tip: Avoid 118/120, check for noise from other rooms, bring headphones.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sakigemcam
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
sakigemcam,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review.
I would like to offer a sincere apology. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ben J
IHG Care
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Travelling weekly for work we run into some good and bad places to stay. I have never written a review before but the manager at this hotel was so friendly and helpful I felt like I had too. The gentleman accommodated us coming in early after working third shift and was the nicest person I have met in a hotel since starting this job. Overall I would highly recommend staying here if your in the area, the hotel was new, had big, very clean rooms, and the customer service was exceptional 9 out of 10 value for your money.

• Stayed March 2012
Mayville, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Very helpful staff and clean rooms. Ammenities were excellent. Have stayed a few times and will again if ever needed. Only drawback is nothing within walking distance.

Room Tip: Any will do
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I hate to admit it but almost everything that others have said are true. The biggest of which is the walls are thin and if someone is in a room above you you will hear everything. Seems to me somebody screwed up during construction.
The front desk staff was nice the room clean but unless other IHG properties are booked, I won't stay unless I bring earplugs.

• Stayed November 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swansea
9.8 km away
9.2 km away
Best Western Providence-Seekonk Inn
21.4 km away
Best Western Dartmouth Inn

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK