1,208 results
All reviews the main dining room front porch new england norman rockwell historic hotel rocking chairs turkey dinner maple glen prime rib uneven floors country curtains main street step back in time people watching the main hotel antique furniture birdcage elevator
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

We ate out in the courtyard twice this past week. VERY nice, and of course nice and quiet (no echo).

The food is very good - not gourmet, but solid New England fare. Waiters seem to be encouraged to not write the order down, and with five in our party he messed up on one; it was quickly remedied. Staff is very nice. Burrata appetizer is great; chicken pot pie was good (~7); salmon (an 8); scallops (8); turkey burger (7); turkey sandwich (8); cavatelli pasta (8).

Note: It can be buggy after sundown (esp with all the rain this summer), but we asked about the mosquitos and they provided citronella candles, and one of our party asked at the front desk and they gave her an anti-bug wipe that we all used with great success.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

We had heard so many good things about this restaurant so looked forward to going. When we arrived, there were numerous available tables in the dining room but the hostess suggested we eat in the tavern which is more casual but has the same menu. We told her we wanted the dining room. It took a while for our server to greet us. I inquired about the panzanello salad which is served with the salmon. Our server had no idea about what was in it and said “maybe I can ask the bartender “ I decided on the turkey burger which was just okay. It was lean but a bit on the dry side and the French fries were not crispy. My husband had the lamb which was also disappointing. We had originally wanted desert but service was so slow we decided against it

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Morgan R, Guest Relations Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Hello Susan,

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. We are always striving to improve and we take your comments very seriously. I'm sorry that we let you down, but we are using your criticisms as a training tool, and I'm sure that they will help us in the future. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback.

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

We had booked 3 nights here on a New England driving holiday arranged by Trailfinders. The hotel is very dated, cheap and tatty antique furniture, musty and damp smelling rooms. We were shown 3 rooms, the third being a suite but in all honesty none of them were worthy of staying due to the damp and musty smells. The bar service was terrible, the food very expensive and poor quality. We checked out after 1 night, the best decision we made. This hotel needs some serious investment.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
robert m, General Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2018

Dear Guest,

We are very proud of our 245 year history of serving guests and visitors to the Berkshires. We understand that the uniqueness and history of the Red Lion Inn is not for everyone, but we are also proud of our antiques, historic rooms and the service that we provide. I am disappointed that we did live up to this reputation during your recent stay. If you would contact me to discuss your stay I would be honored to hopefully regain you faith in our commitment to exceeding your expectations. We remain at your service and I look forward to hopefully speaking with you soon.

R. Mickey

Reviewed 1 September 2018

To be honest, I'm not an elegant inn kind of guy, but I really enjoyed this place. I can see that it's not for everyone, which might be why some of the reviews are mixed. Some people don't like old and they long for the doting service you might get at some other places in this range. I love the way this place looks-- all the different spaces and knick knacks, the phenomenally relaxing front porch--some slightly worn chairs and all, and all that other stuff. I also really appreciated that the service was understated but efficient--not the in-your-face, Hi I'm Kimberly and I'll be your server tonight, would you like another drink every five minutes, and this guy is going to take your luggage up whether you like it or not get the tip ready. Our room was very nice and very clean and they gave us a free bottle of wine for our 25th anniversary. My wife and I really enjoyed the pool and the hot tub and just hanging out there for a day and a half--and this is from a guy who would normally prefer a cabin in a state park. One small glitch. I was tired, so I wasn't really listening when the check-in clerk told me breakfast ends at 10. We asked some other guy who worked there and he said 10:30, which is only true on weekends, so we missed breakfast. To calm us, they gave us two free muffins and tea on the porch, which was nice. All in all, I'm surprised how much I liked this place.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank leone983
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed in a king suite in the main hotel, and loved the two-room space. The king bed was perfection. Yes, the hotel is old, but honestly, that’s its charm. It is a visit through American history. Loved playing with the house cat, Norman. Bar service in the tavern and the back patio needed extra hands.

If you want space, grab a king or queen suite, but ask for a room on the quiet side.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple