New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Brass Key Guesthouse

Brass Key Guesthouse
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Provincetown
Toronto, Canada
“Another Night in Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

I wanted to visit Massachusetts and booked a couple of nights at the Brass Key as treat. I was so impressed with my initial stay that I extended it -- and cancelled my other plans to stay longer!

This was an easy decision to make considering the atmosphere exuded elegance; the location was fabulous and conveniently located next to lively Commercial Street; the room was GORGEOUS (I stayed in #157, a Deluxe King Room); and the staff were supremely friendly and accommodating (thank you for everything Cheryl and Ken).

Without a doubt I would recommend this place to anyone. And that is saying a lot because I would return in a New York minute if I could – and I live in Toronto.

Gee

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

My partner and I just returned from a 3 day stay at the Brass Key to celebrate my birthday – and we can’t say enough about what an absolutely lovely stay we had! First of all – let me say that we are two “middle aged” ladies from the west coast and this is our 5th trip to the cape. We have stayed at a number of higher-end B & B’s in Provincetown – but this one far exceeded our previous experiences for many different reasons. We were “mystified” by the ranking that this property has on Trip Advisor. I have been familiar with the Brass Key since its Key West property first opened – and its reputation has always been first rate. If you are looking for a less expensive B&B, or perhaps one that is smaller – without the lush grounds, common areas, pool and expansive facilities - or one with a more intimate, hands-on proprietor who manages to “do everything” – this may not be the right choice for you. If you are looking for a lovely, gracious and well managed mid-sized inn with lush, opulent grounds, a heated pool and hot tub, full staff (house cleaning, gardeners, front-desk staff, breakfast attendant, etc.) on-site pub, event spaces and all of the conveniences of an elegant mid-sized hotel – this well situated property is a perfect choice!

The first – and our most unexpected surprise for us was the staff’s warmth and hospitality. This was first demonstrated to us by none other than the Ship Wreck Lounge’s bartender, Gary. We arrived late on Thursday night – well past “office close”. Upon arrival, we found a well written note on the door of the Gate House with after-hours check-in instructions (not at all uncommon in Provincetown). Still, it was dark outside and we must have had a puzzled look on our faces because the bartender Gary immediately came over to us and shepherded us through all of the details of coming on to the property – guided us to our building, took our heavy bags up to our room, helped guide us to a parking spot – and even gave us a tour of the compound! Amazing hospitality. After we settled in – we went back down to the Shipwreck for a night cap – and had a lovely Ruby Red Cosmo and a glass of wine, and some friendly conversation with some of the other guests. It was easy to see why the Shipwreck is so popular – warm, inviting with outdoor fire pit ablaze – and of course – Gary made it extra special for us. Throughout our stay – we stopped by the Shipwreck for a night cap and were always warmly greeted each time our paths crossed. We also felt the same way when we checked in the next morning with Gary (a different “Gary”) at the front desk. He was warm and hospitable – and really made us feel welcomed as guests. Gary also greeted us each and every time we ran in to him around the property.

Our immaculately clean Captain’s House room was lovely (Rm. 113) and had charm galore. The pitched ceiling added to the feeling of “space” in our room. It came with absolutely everything that we could possibly want: Bose sound system with an iPad/iPod adaptor, safe, fridge, robes, bottled water, ice bucket, cork screw, glasses, two waffle robes, beach towels, beach to-go mini Igloo ice chest, high-end luxury bath products, a huge chest of drawers for our clothes, small closet, a ceiling fan, a high-tech in-room “air-comfort” system – that even had a built in air filtration system. The bed was SUPER comfortable – and the linens were fantastic. Just two steps outside of our room was a balcony that overlooked the courtyard gardens & hot tub / pool area. It had comfortable seating for four – and we loved having our coffee out there before we began our day. The cleaning team was terrific – and swooped in each morning to clean each guest’s room to perfection. I had a special request for our maid – and she quickly handled it post haste with courtesy, kindness and absolute professionalism.

Breakfast was fresh and delicious and served in a dedicated breakfast room (also has covered outdoor seating) . They usually had a warm breakfast dish or two (eggs, almond coconut bread pudding), freshly baked sweet breads or yummy cinnamon rolls, bagels, English muffins, cereals, fresh fruit bowl (as well as apples & bananas), yogurt, etc. We never went away hungry – and they served breakfast until 11am. They also have two 24hr. a day coffee machines available for guests in the breakfast area. One coffee machine serves specialty coffees - cappuccinos / lattes / espressos. It was really terrific!! In addition, they had a Douwe Egberts coffee machine that served regular drip coffee. I have to say – I have had this coffee before at other hotels – and frankly – I have never been a fan. Small issue – as long as they have the “gourmet” coffee machine too.

The spacious grounds and buildings of the Brass Key were stunning. They obviously take a lot of pride in keeping them pristine – and we could see the evidence of upkeep throughout the property – fresh paint, manicured shrubs, etc. It is a lovely compound – and felt like our own secure oasis. We never had to look far to find a cozy private nook, sofa, table by the pool, etc. to share with each other. And a note about the music in the compound – it was actually one of our favorite touches. It was like walking to a soothing lullaby as we strolled through the common areas and gazed at the flowers. It was absolutely delightful to walk to breakfast to and hear music – and was so tranquil in the early evening on our way out to dinner.

Parking was plentiful. The front lot – being the most prominent – does fill up fast, but the other parking locations around the facility were actually much more convenient for us – so it was never an issue. The location of the inn simply can’t be beat - literally in the “heart” of Provincetown. I sometimes have a just a wee bit of difficulty walking and found the Brass Key to be steps from all of the best bars, restaurants, entertainment venues and shopping that Provincetown has to offer. It was terrific!

The clientele at this inn was mixed gay & lesbian/straight, which was actually a “bit” of a surprise for us - but not the least bit disconcerting. This is not an exclusively gay, or gay male property – although it definitely has a predominately gay clientele. That being said - we never felt uncomfortable in the least that it was mixed.

We had a fantastic stay at the Brass Key for this celebration and look forward to coming back and back and back to try different rooms and locations around the property – perhaps during the upcoming holidays! Kudos to both Gary’s – and all of the Brass Key Staff that made our stay so special.

Room Tip: Our preference is not a ground floor room. We liked having a higher, peaked ceiling. The con to th...
3 Thank LAJames_11
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

We purchased a reservation through Groupon. To our amusement, almost everyone there was there because of Groupon, so the clientele was a little different from what we'd expected. We had fun anyway. :)

This place is so beautiful and everyone is so friendly. Everyone I talked to on the phone before our arrival was friendly. When we arrived, the man at the check in counter was very welcoming and took the time to show us around the area. It's just a happy, relaxing place. I expect photos on a hotel's website to look like fantasy versions of the real thing. The photos on here and on their website are actually accurate! The hotel really looks that good!

I loved our room. With homey touches like books and other little decorations, it was just a beautiful room. Everything was very, very clean and in good condition. They have a heated pool and a large hot tub. Guests are able to use both until midnight, which is much later than most hotels! They have a complimentary wine and cheese hour each night. The breakfast was tasty and filling. They had fresh breads, homebaked goods like blueberry crumb cake, hard boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, a coffee station, and freshly-squeezed orange juice. Throughout the day, they have complimentary lemonade, iced tea, and cookies by the pool area.

The way the hotel is set up, you run into other guests fairly frequently, which was a lot of fun for us. We had spent an evening in the hot tub with a metal band bass player, his girlfriend, and two self-described nomads. The following night we were with a few retired people who were a couple of decades older than us. The variety was a lot of fun!

One evening in the patio area, we were enjoying drinks by the fire pit and were surrounded by fun-loving people doing impromptu salsa dance lessons. A lot of laughter and good times there.

We loved, loved, loved our stay here and will come back if we get the chance! We met some lovely people and had a heavenly couple of days.

Room Tip: For a little extra, you can have a pet-friendly room. Dogs are very welcome there.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GregAndKaty
Salem, Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

Just returned from a lovely 3-day 2-night stay, using Groupon. Room was a bit small (I am sure I had the lowest priced room because of the Groupon) with only one chair for the two of us, but very clean and well-kept with nice bathroom and great shower. Great location within easy walking distance of ferry from Boston, and one block from the main drag and all the shops. Great friendly staff; we enjoyed the hot tub, wine and cheese party, their recommendations for dinner. Will plan on going again next year.

1 Thank E1mb
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

My partner and I recently took advantage of a two-night groupon to extend our regularly priced saturday night stay. We visited P-town the first weekend of October, and booked only about a month prior (don't recommend waiting that long, reserve as early as possible). Since we were trying to use a groupon, we almost didnt get reservations. However, the extremely friendly and helpful reservations specialist worked and worked until she was able to get us the entire stay in a king room without having to change rooms. Then she thanked me and apologized to ME for keeping me on the phone so long!!!
We arrived at the guest house a little later than the 4pm check in time, and were greeted by a friendly and helpful booking clerk, who directed my partner to our parking space (we drive a Prius, it fit well into the crushed-clamshell lined parking areas - this may not be the town to bring your Hummer or giant SUV) then carried most of our luggage for us to the front desk. Check in was quick and easy, most of it taken up by their explanations of where to find complimentary water, dvd's, ice, cookies, coffee, tea, and the wine and cheese social hour. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained for Cape Cod standards (which are definitely not less, they are just more natural and less manicured than other places might be). We wound our way through the various levels of the grounds, past the small yet clean infinity pool, over the patio, and thru the breakfast area to our room.
We were so impressed with room 152 - it is located in what used to be a porch area, it has windows from waist to ceiling on two sides. There is a magnificent pale yellow shabby chic four poster bed and pale yellow walls. A big bathroom (corner shower stall, no tub in this one) with white wood wainscoting, a giant ceramic sink, and pale blue walls. After getting over the awe of the sunlight streaming in all the windows, we realized that there is a bonus small separate sitting room that we passed on our way in, with a daybed and extra tv! This room is less private than the main room, as it has a beautiful, clear stained glass window that people coming down the stairs can see in, if they really wanted to, so we used this room to lounge around in and check emails if one of us was awake and the other was not.
The breakfast is exactly as described - "expanded continental". No, you will not get a full hot breakfast. You will get your choice of bagel or english muffin, with jelly, peanut butter, butter or cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, cold cereals, 2 or 3 freshly baked goods, orange juice, and two kinds of yogurt. The Sunday morning we were there we were surprised by a warmer with sausage bread and mini quiches, although they were not present on Monday or Tuesday - maybe a weekend thing? They have regular and decaf coffee, as well a selection of teas. They had an espresso/cappucino/latte machine as well - at first I was very wary of this, then I tried it. Its actually linked to a REAL milk delivery system so it was all actually very good! (I cannot start the day without my latte!) All the coffee and tea are available 24 hours a day.
The wine and cheese social hour is just that - a selection of pretty good wines, a couple of beers, and 4-5 different cheeses and crackers, nachos and salsa, and hummus sometimes. We had a california cabernet that went down nicely. Wished it was in a real glass, yet considering we all gathered outside around the pool, its necessary to drink out of plastic for safety. We chatted with a few folks and made a few friends. There is a rooftop sundeck that we never got to go up and check out, yet I imagine the views are fantastic! (there is a note that this is available for nude sunbathing, yet everyone up there at 5 o clock was dressed!)
Once we parked the car, we never went back until we left! There is just no need with this location! There is so much to do literally one block away. Check out the aqua bar (thru the food court near the HRC store) for a reasonably priced drink and just watching the water. Ross's grill is a fantastic place for a meal and a view (down another shopping mall, next to the Crown and Anchor). We ate at the Nor'east Bier Garden, which was good too. We didn't check out too many bars because The Pied was closed, and quite frankly as ladies we were nervous to check out any others because it was leather weekend ha ha!
One place not to be missed was the Bistro at Crowne Point. The food was fabulous, the wine excellent, and the service friendly and professional. Another table full of groupon users were complaining about the quality of their mixed drinks, all of which were immediately replaced. We had NO issues however, and this will be one of my most memorable dinners.
There were some small downsides to this room, which are either out of the control of the hotel or easily fixed. 1. On saturday night, I heard soft to moderately loud laughter and music from the bar at the Gifford House across the street. This is obviously expected on a Saturday in P-town, although a little surprising considering our out-of-the-way location. Easily remedied however, with earplugs, a travel noise machine, or, as I did, falling asleep with the TV on, with the volume on low. That covered it up nicely. 2. It rained the last night of our stay, and water was dripping down on either a downspout or on the ac units outside our window, which sounded like drums! This could probably be remedied by the hotel - I plan to email them with this complaint. We didnt complain on the spot because what could they do at 3 am anyway? Either way both nuisances were well worth it to have a sunlight filled room with a tiny patch of waterview! (When you leave the bathroom door open you can actually see part of the harbor while showering. Unfortunately most people strolling on Carver St can see you too lol) Upon viewing some of the other rooms that face the pool and hottub (both open until midnight, I think) I still prefer the room we had because I imagine nicer weather would bring parties out there too.
All in all we loved the Brass Key. Nice mix of folks - same sex couples, friends, foreigners, singles, and hetero couples. Thinking of remembering my bathing suit next year!

Room Tip: Each room in this hotel is very different, and can be chosen from one of 5 buildings. Our room had...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles