“Just satisfactory”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Provincetown
Bayshore/Chandler House
Upstate NY
“Just satisfactory”
Reviewed 21 June 2008

We just returned from staying a week in Unit #16 of the Bayshore in Provincetown, MA. We loved the location, and the unit itself was clean and very charming. However, the problem with this 2 BR unit is in order to get to the kitchen the bedroom as to be walked through and there is no privacy door on that bedroom. It is a plastic curtain as such with a very small bed. But the other bedroom has the bigger bed, but no closet. A canvas stand alone unit. This BR has the A/C, the small BR has a ceiling fan. If this was used by a family it probably would have been a little more convenient since privacy would not be such an issue. And the PARKING was just awful.

The Bayshore advertises and charges for for WI fI AND parking and they really don't offer either. Our parking was a nightmare to the point where a guest who said she was an owner of Unit #20 (we were not informed that Bayshore had owners paying condo fees for parking while giving out parking to their tenents. When we checked in we were told we could park anywhere on the right side of the building.

And the Wi Fi worked the first and second day - then it didn't work for the next four. It was extremely frustrating, especially if you plan on working or doing anything on your computer.

I am not sure I would go back again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Parking and Internet
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
rhode island
Reviewed 26 January 2008

For anyone travelling to PTown with dogs this is the perfect place to stay, we felt completely comfortable and at ease. This trip was in November but we have also stayed when it was crowded and although there were many dogs there it wasn't at all "doggy". This time we stayed at the beach house which has a private deck that is over the water; cant beat the view of the sunrise and the window seat is the perfect spot to curl up with a cup of coffee to take it all in. You can also get an endless supply of logs for the fireplace from the office. It is less than a ten minute walk into the center of town which was great with the dogs, but being right on the beach kept us out of town more than we are used to which was nice. Highly recommended, each unit is self contained and has it's own charm, we also stayed in unit 9 which we would definately book agin.

• Liked — location and pet friendly
  • Disliked — bathroom was small
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank mgarabo
Fairfield, CT
Reviewed 3 October 2007

we have just returned from an 8 night stay at the 1st floor cottage at 77 commercial street and we loved it so much we have already booked it for the same week next year! it is beautiful. The owners take great pride in this property and it shows. The cottage is well taken care of, landscaping beautiful and you cannot beat the location. Its at the West end right on the beach. Views are spectacular! I also checked out the 2nd level of the beach cottage and its just as nice. Since I travel with dogs ( yes it is pet friendly) the 1st floor was perfect - it has an enclosed patio. It also has a separate bedroom, nice size living room with the most comfortable couch and chair, nice updated kitchen with everthing you can possibly need -dishes, appiances, utensils, pans etc and a nice bathroom. This place is just perfect!!!

• Liked — spectaulcar view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janeinct
new york
Reviewed 27 August 2007

We stayed at the Bayshore/Chandler House last week, along with two other families that are friends of ours. When the couple who booked unit 14, on the street side checked in, they were told that their parking space was 2 blocks away. Of course, they were not happy with that arrangement, having just driven 7 hours from new york. As I was checking in, the owner told me to use 2 spaces for my car, to make it easier for everyone to exit and enter the crowded, small lot. I suggested that our friends use that space instead of parking 2 blocks away. The owner was agreeable, and this worked out for the entire length of our stay since there was one extra space in the lot. Be forewarned, because our friends were told that parking was not a problem when they booked the unit back in March. The other units have their own spaces, it is just very cramped and I would think twice about staying there if I had a large vehicle. Otherwise, you will be fine. The unit we stayed in, unit 18- a 2 bedroom unit, was nothing special. It did have a beautiful view of the bay, since we were on the second floor facing the water. We had no shower curtain when we arrived, and tried to get one from the office, but no one answered the bell on at least 2 occasions. By the third day, this was rectified. The windows were difficult to open, there is only one air conditoner-in the living room. There are fans in both bedrooms. The living room also has a nice television, but no one goes to the cape to watch tv! We had our dog with us, and it is a very dog friendly place-there were even towels set aside for the dog. It is no problem to leave your dog for any time while you go out. The kitchen is nicely equipped, even down to detergent for the dish washer. You can also barbeque on the patio if you have a small grill with you.I would go back again, but I would try to book one of the other units-some of which had air conditioners in the bedrooms and were much more nicely furnished than ours. Be sure to ask about parking, and know that unit 14, which is a studio, does not have a parking space on premises. Otherwise, it is a nice place to stay, very clean, a short walk to town and comfortable enough.I would also suggest staying on the beach side-the units look great, and it is much more quiet.

• Liked — dog friendly, clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — parking was difficult
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Albany, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2007

I researched hotels in Cape Cod for months, finally deciding on the Bayshore based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and a book about traveling with your pet. It was near the Cape Cod national sea shore and I wanted a nice place that was quiet (more away from town) that accepted two medium-sized dogs. I booked it late in the season so the only units available were two studios (one in the main building and one across the street) that had no water view. However, given that it was right on the beach, I figured we would be able to at least enjoy sitting on the private beach.

Upon arriving early, the room wasn't ready, so we went to Race Point beach for the day. We found out there was a problem with green flies and so we left the beach early, thankful that we had a place to stay on the beach on the bay side. When we got back, our room was ready. Upon entering unit #1, I immediately had great concern. It had been described as quaint, but this unit was small and looked dumpy with an old looking queen size bed and really small sofa couch. The kitchen and bathroom did not look inviting either, not updated at all. The room was also rather dark and I was also concerned with how close it was to the busy Commercial Street. (This is how all the places on Commercial Street are in Provincetown, so if ever booking a place, beware of anything not on the beach side.)

I decided to walk down to the private beach to convince myself that I could stay there. But when I got to the area, there was the little "pre-beach" that was cramped amidst the other units. And to my dismay, there was a LONG flight of stairs down to the real beach, and no other way down there! One of my dogs is elderly with bad hips, and has a problem with stairs. It was at that moment that I knew I was in trouble - I had booked a dark little unit, right next to the noisy street, with no easy access to the private beach.

Meanwhile, my husband and dogs were waiting in our vehicle which had to be crammed into the tiniest of parking spots across the street. There would have hardly been any room to unload. (I had read a review about the parking problem and it is very cramped, but there's really nothing they can do about it).

When I spoke with the gentlemen handling the check-ins, he wasn't very sympathetic at first. He wasn't able to offer any suggestions other than the public beach. However, seeing my dismay (I burst into tears) he became much more sympathetic and said he would talk to the owner. After checking with her, he said they could refund $61 of the $224 I had put down (which was 50% of the cost of three nights). I knew I had no choice.....I wasn't going to stay there either way - my vacation would have been ruined. I had driven 7 hours to get to P'town and thought I might end up driving back home, but thank goodness I found a place that was on the beach and had easy access (Surfside, which was wonderful).

I should point out that all the guests at Bayshore who were in the front units out on their decks facing the water seemed to all look very happy. But even if the beach had been easier to access, the quality of the room would have made it an unpleasant place to stay. That may not be true of the other units, or perhaps the ocean view away from the busy street makes up for it.

In summary, stay away from unit #1 at Bayshore. And make sure you can walk down a long flight of stairs if you want beach access. Having access to the beach for someone's dogs might not be an issue, but this could be a huge problem for an elderly person who cannot handle a long flight of stairs.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family