“Great place to vacation”

John Carver Inn & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Plymouth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I liked the size of the rooms and the televisions... keep in mind the nintendo is five dollars per hour the pool was AWESOME!!! i loved the water slide the front desk was helpful try for a room on the second floor

Room Tip: try for a rroom away from elevator [rooms 230 area]
1  Thank geek12345
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Our family stayed here while attending a wedding in Plymouth. Front desk personnel were helpful and attentive. The room was clean. Great cable selections. Beds were very comfortable. Location was great for walking all over Plymouth. Old and young kids enjoyed the pool. Would highly recommend this Inn to visitors in the area.

1  Thank NickyPhiladelphia
Reviewed 12 May 2012

The rooms were pretty standard. Hotel is right in town and walking distance to everything. The kids loved the pool. Okay- we had a great time in the pool It wasn't overly crowded and in the morning we were the first ones in the pool- and the lifeguards opened the slide for us. In the evening it was quite crowded. Our kids (lucky for us this time-laugh) behaved and here's my scoop on what I saw. If your kids are the type to run around on their own then this might not work for you- they have rules and they ask that they are followed-they follow up if they are not. The parents who were sitting and not "on top" of their kids actively playing with their kids - they got talked with a bit when they ran around- but the swimming area is very small for the design and it's understandable why when crowded they need to keep the rules in tact. I couldn't understand why the hot tub was for 16+ and I've never seen that before-but perhaps it was for the slide. Our kids had a blast. The front desk- one of the women was super nice- the other with her was a bit snippy and to the point. She had that "end of the season" kind of approach to her that you get when you have been at work too much and really need a break. Of course in the tourist industry-that's never a good sign. But the girl who was likely training was a delightful. They have that feel like "buses stop here" with too many people. It's definitely the type of place that offers itself to the limit. We didn't use the restaurant and the coupon they provide is not worth eating there where there is a Percy's right down the street that is around the same price and offers an authentic greasy spoon environment. The Mexican restaurant down town is more of a tex-mex kind of place. No spice but they offer a rack of pepper sauces if you ask for them (and you will-haha). Portions are large like tex mex too.. We slept well- in comfortable beds and with the in-room air system we didn't hear any noises. We asked for a room away from the elevator and it was perfect for our needs. There are no frills to the rooms as it's an older but well kept building. It's actually quite charming in it's own way and our kids were very happy with their bed, but especially the pool. Oh the TV- bring a portable DVD player with you for the kids. There is nothing in the evenings for them -that doesn't cost at least 4.00. We ended up watching a football match and well- the kids passed out right way so perhaps it was for the best-but we just got lucky there. Otherwise- we might have broke down and bought one of those 4.00 tv show episodes they could watch. The movies were all adult focused-which surprised me given what I'd guess is their primary audience. They give you these wrist bands for using the pool and warning- they had 4 birthday parties going on -on the sunday we were checking out. In my personal opinion- the pool is not large enough to handle guests and a bunch of kids from birthday parties-so I'd ask the hours of the parties at check it before I planned the times I was going. perhaps that's why we had a good time. If you don't have kids-or you are looking to "relax"- I'd suggest you consider another hotel in town, but if you have kids- you don't have that "are my kids bothering" anyone sort of feel which-except when it comes to following the rules in the pool. If your kids are old enough to swim alone-then you might take part in the spa.. but there's no quite sit by pool space or anything like that. The kids want to go back. They loved Plymouth-walking the jetty, eating at Charlies Cupcakes and of course again-the pool. And we loved their laughter and smiles... Hopefully the new girl at the front desk will stick around- she added a bit of sunshine to the reception area.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevator-near the end of a hallway if you need quiet. On pool level is great...
3  Thank qualtyk9
Reviewed 7 May 2012

If you are looking for a quaint, comfortable, scenic, and historical place to stay while in Plymouth then look no further! The staff is welcoming and very accommodating, and the rooms are beautiful, clean and very cozy. My wife and I stayed in Massachusetts for three days, and the only regret we have is that we only stayed one night at the John Carver Inn. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys the small town feel with a touch of luxury!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank themodernprometheus
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Enjoyed the pool and room was nice, but parking was a problem...Had to park on the street quite far from the hotel due to a function at the hotel...wasn't to happy about that..was worried all night about having someone break into my car..hotel clerk didn't seem to be concerned where we parked

1  Thank marion w
jstreeter, Manager at John Carver Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

I am very sorry that you had trouble parking at our inn. I understand that it can be difficult at times when we have large functions going on. I wish the front desk had been more helpful in finding you a spot. Your concerns will definitely be addressed with the appropriate staff. Again I am very sorry about the unneeded stress during your getaway with us.

Jeff Streeter
Rooms Division Manager
John Carver Inn & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
0.9 km away
9.9 km away
Mirbeau Inn & Spa at The Pinehills
5.9 km away
Baymont Inn & Suites Kingston Plymouth Bay

Been to John Carver Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK