“It's really about the beer - and the drinks”

The New World Tavern
Ranked #26 of 218 Restaurants in Plymouth
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Old World Traditions with New World Innovations! The New World Tavern specializes in American Craft and Imported Beers from around the world. A Gastro Pub menu accompanies the wide selection of Ales and Lagers and opens the day with a traditional American breakfast. A full wine and spirit selection is also available.
Reviewed 17 June 2017

We used to come to this place regularly, but I've been reading mixed reviews. It really has the most extensive craft beer menu in the area. And I tried the Tequila Honeysuckle - which was a better-than margarita...so very good.
The food was nowhere near what it used to be...still good - but a little head scratching (???). I had the Thai mussels - fabulous idea - nice sauce, but...the mussels were about 1/3 the size of the usual mussels that are served in New England. And, the bowl was deep - so find the sauce at the bottom was tricky, until they were mostly eaten.
My husband ordered the Margherita flatbread with mushrooms. The mushrooms were forgotten, and the food was dropped at the table, so no one checked for a while to see if everything was good with the order. The baked oysters were not fully cooked - and the crumb topping was not browned. The Korean wings are simply fried wings with a little sauce.
The service was definitely lacking. I ordered a water...she never asked my husband if he wanted one. Nor was my water glass ever refilled - nor was I asked if I needed more water. Also, when serving sticky wings - most places offer up a wet nap or something more than a paper napkin for wiping up.
Mind you - this is not traditional pub food. The chef offers unique foods and interesting combinations...but it might be nice to change up and add some new foods, and put some extra thought into serving.

1  Thank Robin N

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

The food was very good and the beer menu was extensive! All 3 meals were very tasty. This a place for locals!

Reviewed 11 April 2017

I had the NWT Grilled Cheese. I had it once before and LOVED it. It's a twist on grilled chees with all kinds of fixings and even honey truffle dipping sauce. I wasn't really able to taste the flavors this time like we could last time.

It looks like they expanded the restaurant from the last time I was there. This gave us more space to spread out and hang out. In the front they had some nice couches and a jenga game, so we really had a nice time there celebrating a friend's birthday.

Out in the back they had a band playing that we couldn't even really hear, but the crowd back there was a little more rough around the edges and there were a lot of drunks rummaging around through the place out back.

Overall an okay experience.

2  Thank KRiSTeN R
Reviewed 2 April 2017

Please know that if you love beer, this is the place for you. That said, do not go here if you want to eat and have a beer. We ordered the cauliflower plate and margherita pizza. Cauliflower was served as the whole head which I've never seen before. Very heavy on the garlic, saw no sign of advertised goat cheese. Almost vinegar after taste. You had to cut it with a knife pressing hard. I just made a cauliflower dish at home and believe me, it is not hard to get it to be soft and fully flavored. $12 for this? Robbery. Pizza tasted like the kind you might have made in junior high home economics = bland and made with very cheap ingredients. Another annoyance was that there was something we wanted to order on the menu but were informed that it was not longer offered as the chef had left. OK then change the menu! Too cheap and lazy to print new menus. Unbelievable. Decor inside is left over from previous restaurants in the space. The place really needs improved lighting and fresher carpets and furniture. One positive was that our waitress was awesome regarding her knowledge of beers on tap. We will wait to see if this place improves before heading back.

2  Thank sashayaround
Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

Went with another couple for a quick bite to eat. Ordered chicken wings, pizza and a burger along with a few other items. The chicken wings were rubbery and bland, pizza dough was under cooked and the burger was way over cooked. I mentioned to our waitress that I couldn't bite through my burger due to burnt layer of grizzle. Her response was...it's char broiled...my response was...it's charred. She did take it off our bill. Service overall was good along with entertainment. Do yourself a favor and eat before you go. Only 1 selection for chardonnay wine but it's a beer joint.

1  Thank Nanc W