“Great Lunch on a Mild January Day”

Alden Park Bar and Grill
Ranked #39 of 224 Restaurants in Plymouth
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 35
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Commerce Way
Description: Fantastic interior design and menu that has something for everyone----we live nearby and are thrilled with this addition to our area dining.
Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

Finally we have a break from some really cold record breaking temperatures. It was almost 50° and we went here for lunch. It was excellent. Sam our server was nice. Our appetizer got a bIt cold on the way out, BUT IMMEDIATELY it was taken by Sam and pronto another was served to us by Walt with very kind apologies. It was terrific. The Crab Cakes Habenaro Sauce was very good. We did split the BBQ Pulled Pork and the best we've had. No extra sauce was needed it was moist and the flavors were rockin. The portion was large and even splitting, we took some home. The $2 Small Dessert Bites looked wonderful. Having no room for eating one we will next time. It's a small dessert in a shot glass. Cool idea.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank nejorob

Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

My husband and I have had lunch here several times. The service and food always great. The bloodies are excellent.
Try the pulled pork in a wrap. Less bread and so good.

Reviewed 25 December 2017

Looking for a restaurant - other than a national chain - Alden Park appeared to be a place we could have a good experience. The decor and location was convenient to the plaza we were at and was expecting a great meal.

My family and I were greeted promptly and seated towards the back of the restaurant - a section that had tables and not booths or tall tables. We reviewed the menu and liked seeing the Lobster and Shrimp Chowder and all three of us ordered it - along with a BLT flatbread for a starter. The BLT flat bread was OK - it was warm, flatbread not 'fresh or hot' - almost stale, mayonnaise was flat and surprisingly the bacon was not the hero. Would have like seeing Cubed bacon or a stronger flavor that would have made the flatbread more of a standout and seasoned.

However, quality control quickly became an issue - when my wife spotted lip stick mark on her water glass and it was quickly replaced. When the chowders came, my spoon (one that came with the chowder) had food residue not fully cleaned - but it was also replaced promptly.

I began to eat the chowder - it was thinner than you would expect from a chowder - but was chunky with corn, potato with chunks of lobster, including a small claw. The drawback was it was warm - not hot, but upon lifting up my small souffle bowl - I noticed 3 chips in the bowl I was eating from. I pointed this out to our waiter who apologized.

Then came our main dishes - I ordered the Fritte Steak and Parmesan fries, my family ordered Shrimp Tacos and Tuna Poke. The shrimp tacos and tuna poke appeared OK - however, when my steak came - the plate was full of blood that drowned out the sauce under the steak and rest of the plate. Clearly did not rest enough before it was cut - but did come as a medium rare. The steak was a little tough, but had a nice char flavor. It was also 'warm' and not as hot as I would have expected it.

Strike 4 came when I cut into the steak that had a house made butter and bit into it string of plastic. It was them I fished it out of my mouth and laid it on the plate and called the waiter over - who then called the manager.

I explained to the manager some of the quality control issues - dirty water glass, spoon, luke warm soup, bloody plate and now the plastic. She explained that they make their own steak butter and apparently when it was cut, the cook forgot to remove the plastic. She also stated that she would speak with her staff about the multiple issues and would comp our meal.

After the plastic incident - we stopped eating (we only ate about a 10th of our meal) because now we were concerned with quality control and the care of the food that we were getting. We did not want to eat anymore - once the table was cleared, the waiter cleared the table and said our meal was comped - we left.

When I go to restaurants, I generally try to go back and see if it was just an off night and if the service and food was better. But throughout the meal - too many things were just wrong and just did not meet the standard of what would have cost about $100 + for a meal. I can forgive one or two errors - but when it kept happening - I just did not feel comfortable in staying. I hope this was just a fluke and the restaurant is better than this. I don't know if I will return - it would depend if the other reviews change and there is a buzz about the place that would invite me back.

I do appreciate the manager taking concern of our issues and comp'ing our meal - but clearly - multiple stages of quality control - chef, line manager, waiter, etc. missed too many of them to warrant a score better than a 1 on this review.

Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

We are locals who frequent Alden Park. We love fancy dinners here as well as casual lunches. Although appetizers are tempting we usually skip them to leave room for dessert!

Reviewed 17 December 2017

This was my first visit to this place, with family who lives in Plymouth. I was blown away by the freshness of the food, the quality of the entire meal, the cleanliness of the place, and the friendliness of the entire staff. We sat at the bar and had an awesome time and a great meal. Now, if they would just open a place in Portland, Maine!!!

1  Thank Bob F